Pre-Game Talk: Flyers in Ottawa, Thurs. 7:30 pm on TSN5

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Karma was having the flu run rampant through our dressing room in addition to the injuries we already had and getting 2 points.

Karma is if, say, Erik Karlsson dies and he lived a life of goodness and purity, he will come back in his next life as a eagle or a tiger or something cool. But if he lived a life of evil he would come back as a slug or a goat, for example.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I still can't figure out how this Flyers team isn't better than this and higher in the standings. They have so many impact players: Voracek, Simmonds, Giroux, Konecny, Ghost, now Provorov. Is it that difficult to supplement them with decent players?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
From the NHL;

At 19:04 of the third period in the Flyers/Senators game, the Situation Room initiated a video review to see if the puck crossed the Ottawa goal line. The referee informed the Situation Room that he was in the process of blowing his whistle to stop play when he lost sight of the puck under Craig Anderson's skate. According to Rule 78.5, apparent goals shall be disallowed "when the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle." This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee's call on the ice stands - no goal Philadelphia.

Exactly.

Hell, we've been burnt by that freaking "intent to blow the whistle" half a dozen times in the last 2-3 years. It's about time that went our way, for a change.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
On several occasions in tonight’s game, I thought Brassard was lazy, just like he was in the game where Karlsson told him to smarten up last year and hustle.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
I still can't figure out how this Flyers team isn't better than this and higher in the standings. They have so many impact players: Voracek, Simmonds, Giroux, Konecny, Ghost, now Provorov. Is it that difficult to supplement them with decent players?

I'd say it's the same reason Winnipeg on paper looks good but they never meet expectations, they build from up front. They haven't had a consistent #1 goalie for years. Mason only posted one season with .920%sv or better once. If the combo of Neuvirth and Elliott was in Ottawa, I'd have a much dimmer outlook on the year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Oduya is starting to look bad. Tonight there were several times when our defensemen looked soft. The team needs some defensemen who can clear the front of the net. I hope Jaros learns how to play physically punishing defense and is promoted soon.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Oduya should sit.

Phaneuf has been excellent. Ceci, Good. Karlsson is God. Claesson, good, Wideman good to Excellent. Oduya, meh. Boro has even looked decent. Chabot, good.

Oduya is starting to be the outlier.

Reactions: MarkStone

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Stone your goal was very cheeky, I like that.

Boro, did you even mean to shoot? But I like that.

And am I right in thinking Nate is on like a 3 game points streak?

Reactions: Cosmix

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Something is off in that GIF where a dark spot seems to slide inside Anderson's glove. Based on the placement of the glove, the view of the so-called webbing looks highly suspicious.

How could a puck smoothly slide along the ice into the webbing when Andy's glove is clearly sideways? It would either hit the lower side of his glove and stop or slide under the glove and we'd be seeing it through 2 thicknesses of webbing. There is no logical way it can end up sliding like that while it's in the webbing.

The sassy poster whose been complaining the most has been had. IMO that's a doctored image.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
well Giroux seems to be finding his game somewhat but for the past 2 seasons he's statistically been one of the worst 5 on 5 playes in the league. And he drives Voracek. They haven't got a lot of productivity out of that 16M in salary.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I could honestly care less about what Flyer fans say. The Sens have been boned by the refs many times before. Every team gets boned. I wonder what Flyer fans will say when they benefit from the refs. I bet you anything they won't be saying what they are saying now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I could honestly care less about what Flyer fans say. The Sens have been boned by the refs many times before. Every team gets boned. I wonder what Flyer fans will say when they benefit from the refs. I bet you anything they won't be saying what they are saying now.

Every team deals with it, like you said. Admitting that the goal probably should have counted doesn't change the fact that we ended up with two points at the end of the night, it doesn't change that for the most part, we played a solid game. I'd care a bit more if this were playoffs, but I can't bring my self to really care all that much about arguing the merits of a refs call/intent to whistle in a reg season game in October.

Sens got some more video for the coaches on how not to protect a lead, hopefully they do something useful with it and figure this out, though maybe with Smith, Ryan and Turris in the lineup, this doesn't happen.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
What is the fastest a player record his first points in the nhl? in TOI.

When Chlapik record his first assist, it was his first shift in his career and like 3-4 sec later it was a goal.

Would be funny if it was the fastest a player record a point in history, in term of TOI.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What is the fastest a player record his first points in the nhl? in TOI.

When Chlapik record his first assist, it was his first shift in his career and like 3-4 sec later it was a goal.

Would be funny if it was the fastest a player record a point in history, in term of TOI.

They talked about that in the broadcast, but didn't have an answer. It's probably up there, and TOI stats weren't kept in a way where this could be tracked as recently as ~20 years ago, so there's a good chance it's a record.

Reactions: Newgates59

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I think the flu is going through that locker room. Even if guys were out on the ice, I think that if some of them looked 'lazy', it may actually be that guys are battling the flu bug. Could also explain some uncharacteristic mental errors.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If you were worried about his injury history though, it's not like these games have changed anything.
His injury history was two freak injuries, not recurring issues that would lead you to believe he was damaged goods or injury prone. I could understand if you were worried about whether he would come back to his previous form after his Achilles issue, but the playoffs games he played after coming back should have eased the concerns.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If you were worried about his injury history though, it's not like these games have changed anything.
freak injuries can happen. You just deal with it and move on. Especially with how he plays injuries are more likely to happen

still not a reason to overreact

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Oduya needs time to adjust to the system and the play of the sens

its not easy coming to a team like this it even took Brass half a year to figure it out here

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I think the flu is going through that locker room. Even if guys were out on the ice, I think that if some of them looked 'lazy', it may actually be that guys are battling the flu bug. Could also explain some uncharacteristic mental errors.

I think that's a near certainty.

I'm always amazed NHL players can player with the flu, because it destroys me and I dont leave bed for days.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Thompson, Pageau and Pyatt have really stepped up in the past 2 games
I posted it in one of the other threads but I'll re-iterate.

I am a complete moron. I wasn't the loudest voice, but I was in the critical choir when it came to signing Thompson. I thought Thompson would be blocking young players and the money could be better spent. In retrospect, he has improved the PK, and been critical in guiding the Sens through the injury plagued first 10 games. We would be in trouble without him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I posted it in one of the other threads but I'll re-iterate.

I am a complete moron. I wasn't the loudest voice, but I was in the critical choir when it came to signing Thompson. I thought Thompson would be blocking young players and the money could be better spent. In retrospect, he has improved the PK, and been critical in guiding the Sens through the injury plagued first 10 games. We would be in trouble without him.

I'm not sure anyone expected him to have as big of an impact as he has so far, so there's that, but given Boucher's reluctance to use rookies, a vet 4th line center doesn't so much block young players, as prevents them from getting 5 mins a night. Probably best to block those guys even if Thompson hadn't played so well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad