Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 Oilers 2

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Pretty much yeah. Especially with Calgary and Anaheim both picking up points. Oilers definitely love 4 games under .500. I am guessing they stick around that point all year.

I cannot believe we are a third into the season and this team hasn't even won 3 games in a row. Absolute ****ing joke.

^^^yup THAT is pretty sad indeed ! :thumbd:

Reactions: RegDunlop

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Pretty much yeah. Especially with Calgary and Anaheim both picking up points. Oilers definitely love 4 games under .500. I am guessing they stick around that point all year.

I cannot believe we are a third into the season and this team hasn't even won 3 games in a row. Absolute ****ing joke.
They haven't even won back to back games in regulation or at home.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Problems continue to pile up. I'm sure the bug going around the room isn't helping. Hopefully the players actually, you know, have some energy in their game compared to the **** game yesterday once this bug is gone.

PP is horrendous - I say this after every game, but why does Woodcroft still have a job? If the answer is McLellan, then BOTH need to go. It's so frustrating how patient the team is with Woodcroft, considering how impatient McLellan is with any of his lines right now. "Oh no panic mode! Let's put Drai and McDavid together again because that's the only thing I know how to do when things aren't working"

I swear, he just breaks up the lines just so that he can put them back together again so it makes it look like he's actually doing something when the team isn't playing well.

I don't get why last year was such an anomaly. Apparently Edmonton is the place where 90% of your players can lose their skill/confidence/energy simultaneously, how improbable it may seem. We have reasonable players on paper. VERY few are executing.

You know it would be okay if we didn't have to suffer a decade of this, but we did...and as taxpayers have paid a LOT of money to go to this team and new arena and get this garbage product in return.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Most disappointed I've ever been in this team since its inception. Get rid of all the players and all the staff and start over.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That wasn't much fun last night, that Flyers team isn't very good, though they clog things up pretty well 5 on 5.

This team isn't a playoff team this year and as much as that will completely enrage many here, like development, these things aren't a straight line.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Guys I really think we are witnessing Nurse develpoing into a LEGIT all-around #1 dman.

Hes a rock every night, you just know hes not going to make a mistake to cost us and can trust him in all situations.
Can play a heavy physical game or a speedy skill game.
That play in the 3rd where he shot the puck wide then raced to the point and manage to make a play was outstanding.

Just in time for a massive raise this team cannot afford!!! Funny how these players REALLY excel in their contract years... Drai anyone?? This is going to get expensive, as good as it is seeing him develop into a great player.

Reactions: Aerchon

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Just in time for a massive raise this team cannot afford!!! Funny how these players REALLY excel in their contract years... Drai anyone?? This is going to get expensive, as good as it is seeing him develop into a great player.

Yea thats how it works unfortuanately. Subban in Montreal too, really made them regret that bridge deal, but who knows if he wouldve been the same player he is today if he didnt push himself for a higher contract. It works both ways sometimes. Its not always I think Nurse will sign 6 years at 4.5ish million which wouldnt be too bad.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It seems like criticism here always seems to shift to the coaching but its obvious that this Chia lineup won't hunt and the players aren't knocking themselves out another season trying to cover for obvious flaws in the lineup.
The lineup just isn't good enough. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Its on Chiarelli. He needs to be held accountable.
There is no coaching stratagem, none, to counter a lineup that gives up in games. This twisted facet of Oilers play this season is staring us in the face every game. We see it, we see hopeless players have key roles on the team. We watch that game in and game out noting the pustules in this lineup. Then you come here for another round of coach blaming. Its uncanny.
I don't think players have given up. I'm always suspicious of that claim and feel that it gets thrown out too often. I think the bold might more accurately be stated 'a lineup that just isn't good enough'. But still, there is enough talent on the team to run a PP and a PK. The fact that the Oilers remain a woeful special teams club is surely partly on the coaching staff.
Heres a fun game. Outside of maybe one play note what the following fill players did last night to earn a paycheck;

Letestu, Khaira, Cagg, Strome, Benning, Gryba, Camm, Auvitu, Brossoit.

That's 9 players not playing well enough to even be in the league.
ftr that's 9/19 players dressed last night.
I would remove Khaira's name from that list. He has looked decent to good in recent games. At least he is trying to use his skill set and being somewhat effective.

But let's maybe look a little further up the lineup as well. What has Draisaitl done lately? Seven shots on goal in the last five games combined. A minus player in several of those games. Big fat donuts across the board against the Leafs and Yotes. Zero PP points. I mean I guess he at least remains able to tap in those McDavid gifts which isn't nothing, but aren't you expecting a lot more? I was.

Like I said above I don't necessarily subscribe to your theory that players have given up - particularly the less talented half of the roster (the names you mention above) who must realize that this is probably their one and only NHL chance. But if I had to pick a guy who looks like he's given up, checked out, whatever, I hate to say it but Draisaitl's name would be one that comes to mind.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
No offense, because you've been around for a while, but you seem to have a short memory. I'll take this frustration all day, everyday over the previous that decade.

I tend to block out that decade as much as I can now but this is worse. Everything was supposed to be different now from the general manager to McDavid being on board - there was finally the opposite of ineptidudeness. So we thought. Instead of the roster getting bolstered they weakened it.

I probably lied - the 06 loss was probably more disappointing after that run.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I am constantly surprised how slow the Oilers look outside of a few players. I think they really overestimated their depth upfront and how much skill was there.

I'm an optimist and think if they can rattle off an 7 or 8 game streak they will be right back in it (the Pacific is still in play), but they have to change some things up and quickly.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
No offense, because you've been around for a while, but you seem to have a short memory. I'll take this frustration all day, everyday over the previous that decade.

Problem is we are once again playing like we did during the decade of darkness. To have to watch this kind of garbage hockey for the 11th year out of 12 is hard to take!

Oct 15, 2008
I have never seen anyone do “absolutely nothing” better than Ryan Strome does every night for the Oilers. He’s the most inert object on the ice whenever he is on. At least Sammy Snowpants would have a defensive gaffe or fall here and there.

I decided to watch him today at the game just to see what he does on his shifts. He just floats around, avoids engaging physically or going to the net, and skates back to the bench. Chiarelli got fleeced
So you're saying he's a cheaper Eberle?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The lineup just isn't good enough. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Its on Chiarelli. He needs to be held accountable.
I don't think players have given up. I'm always suspicious of that claim and feel that it gets thrown out too often. I think the bold might more accurately be stated 'a lineup that just isn't good enough'. But still, there is enough talent on the team to run a PP and a PK. The fact that the Oilers remain a woeful special teams club is surely partly on the coaching staff.
I would remove Khaira's name from that list. He has looked decent to good in recent games. At least he is trying to use his skill set and being somewhat effective.

But let's maybe look a little further up the lineup as well. What has Draisaitl done lately? Seven shots on goal in the last five games combined. A minus player in several of those games. Big fat donuts across the board against the Leafs and Yotes. Zero PP points. I mean I guess he at least remains able to tap in those McDavid gifts which isn't nothing, but aren't you expecting a lot more? I was.

Like I said above I don't necessarily subscribe to your theory that players have given up - particularly the less talented half of the roster (the names you mention above) who must realize that this is probably their one and only NHL chance. But if I had to pick a guy who looks like he's given up, checked out, whatever, I hate to say it but Draisaitl's name would be one that comes to mind.

Do I think Drai is playing well or to his capability? No.

You just confirmed my whole point. When go to players like Draisaitl even McD look like they have checked out the illustration of what is occurring is very evident. Even good players on this club are not being good players. This albeit, is not a new theme, just that new players have started to recognize the futility of this org. That should be horrifying to any Oiler fan if not the league itself. The worst fears that the Oilers would wreck a player like McD were often expressed. (note I am NOT saying this occurs just that on some nights, in some periods, it resembles what it would look like)

Now that's not to critique those players, its natural for players to play up or down depending on what they feel the teams chances of success are. Even McD's effort last night was token. If they were being honest, which almost never happens in hockey and/or is never asked I'm sure they are both disgusted with playing with the likes of Caggiulia as a third. Or Letestu on the PP, repeat, lather, rinse.

Its on Chia, always, that we have a team with players like McD, Drai, Talbot and he builds such holes around it.

Heres some interesting and random asides. In one game earlier this season the Oilers take a penalty in a game they are leading. Wayne Gretzky is in attendance and puts his head in his hands as if something terrible has occurred. The reaction seemed really off to me and overstating the event on the ice. Except that Wayne would be in a position to know how vulnerable the psyche of this lineup was. That it was cymbal crash away from giving up at any moment. That's what I got from that. The Oilers ended up giving up a few more goals and losing that game. I'll never forget the moment because Waynes reaction perfectly foreshadowed the team steering into the ditch that night. An indication to me that something was really wrong under the surface. I haven't seen Wayne as much recently either. Maybe already tiring of what is going on here.

Heres an odd one. McD's parents have stopped showing up. First the father, now the mother too. I'm not reading anything in, it just strikes me that there is still muted excitement about their son playing here, there always has been. On the same night I get to see Auston Matthews father looking ecstatic and thrilled watching his son play for the Maple Leafs. (you know, the way Nurse's Father looks seeing Darnell play) A scene we've never got from McD's father who has been stoic at best. I look at stuff like that occasionally because in pro anything you never really get the truth abut what a player or entourage actually thinks. you get pad answers, "Its great here, couldn't be more excited, such a great org history" etc.

This is really going off the rails.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Problem is we are once again playing like we did during the decade of darkness. To have to watch this kind of garbage hockey for the 11th year out of 12 is hard to take!
They aren't at all, trust me. I understand it's frustrating, this is nothing like the decade of darkness.

Edit: It's VERY different for you to be frustrated with a team that's struggling to consistent and win v. frustrated with a team not good enough to win.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is "more frustrating" because of previous success and expectations, it's not worse by any stretch.

Its worse in the sense that the team has players like McD, Drai, Talbot, and is still this bad. The worse being that it would be seemingly unfathomable to have the above players as a nucleus and have a team this bad.

You could subtract the 3 comparable players on the Golden Knights roster, insert the above 3, and the team would probably be as good or better. What does that say about the players that Chia has surrounded golden boys with?

A 10 yr old GM would have trouble f***ing with a lineup with the above 3 in it. Anybody capable of picking sandlot teams could probably put together a more coherent NHL lineup and especially with the cap and assets Chia had to work with.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They aren't at all, trust me. I understand it's frustrating, this is nothing like the decade of darkness.

Edit: It's VERY different for you to be frustrated with a team that's struggling to consistent and win v. frustrated with a team not good enough to win.
Yeah, it's worse. First time in 2 decades we're actually supposed to be good and now we're a shit team with impending cap problems.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Its worse in the sense that the team has players like McD, Drai, Talbot, and is still this bad.
No, that's a personal projection. It might seems more "frustrating" it's not worse in the slightest. This team can win and is failing to do so through poor play, inconsistency, etc. Those teams just weren't good enough period.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The shortest reply is that if you have a team in say 94 with Joe Michelleti on the PP you know the team sucks.

FF to later decade and if you have players like Ethan Moreau, or Shawn Horcoff as captains and touted players you know your team sucks. This is different and why it is the most depressing.

Its easier to acknowledge a team being futile from the word go than to see one be dismantled by a hopeless GM that has wrecked what could have been a contending team.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
You just confirmed my whole point. When go to players like Draisaitl even McD look like they have checked out the illustration of what is occurring is very evident.
I don't want to criticize McDavid. Or Draisaitl. But if either, or both, of those guys is giving up then we are well and truly finished. I think you may be right that they are disgusted by having to play with the likes of Caggiula. I still think you are wrong in your suggestion that the bottom part of the roster has given up. They just flat out aren't good enough.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So you're mad at assumed future problems and the struggles, fair enough.
Look Jimmi, it would be one thing if the Oilers were on the cusp of a playoff spot. Right now we're back to where this entire mess began. 29th place and that's largely due to the fact that Arizona/Buffalo (two teams the Oilers have already struggled with) are horrendously awful.

Lucic for 6 more years, Russell for 3 more. Who knows what Talbot will cost, or Maroon if he gets re-signed.

We're wasting years of what could be the best player on the planet for a very unimpressive roster. There was no reason or excuse to lose this game and the Oilers asked us to hold their $9 watered down shit beer.

Oct 15, 2008
Eberle has as many goals as Strome has points year to go with 4 GWGs.

I'd take that "Nothing" for 6 mil than the cap space that's actually doing nothing.
He wasn't doing that here. Invisible most nights, especially in the playoffs when it really counted. Not surprising you would want a player like that. Although it is sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad