Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It’s nice to see the posters back who were on vacation during the Jets massive win streak!
Last night's game had a bunch of notable bad stuff going on: terrible start, lackadaisical play, bad powerplay, questionable goaltending, strange lineup decisions, snake-bitten scorers - all on a 5 game winless streak that stretches back 2.5 weeks. Lots to talk about. That being said, I don't think 6 pages the day after such a loss is more than we'd see after the wins when we were rolling. Maybe all the posts whinging about other posters is boosting the numbers... :sarcasm:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
At the very least we have to shake up the lines for tomorrow,
Scheifele, Ehlers and Vilardi
Monahan , Connor and Neo
Lowry , Iaffalo and Rum
Namestnikov , Perfetti and Barron

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just when we thought it was safe to feel good about our team the last 2 weeks happened.
Deja-Vu, different flavour, reasons for optimism but damn this feels eerily similar to last year.
NHL teams around the league pickup their game post All Star Break and the Jets who peaked before X-MAS are sliding the wrong way. Please be wrong... please be wrong... please be wrong!
giphy.gif

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Monahan , Connor and Neo
Lowry , Iaffalo and Rum
Is Barron "Rum"?

I want to see the top line reunited as you have here.
But I think Connor-Monahan-Perfetti is worth a look.
Maybe we need a 10-0 loss before we can really get the team fired up and back on track... sigh.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I would never trade Connor. This is a guy who put up what 47 goals for us a couple of years ago and was our leading point man last year. These types of players don't grow on trees so unless the return is something amazing I keep him.
He's a liability at even strength. Over the last 2 seasons plus so far this year, the Jets are -3 when Connor and Scheifele are on together at 5v5. When Scheifele is unburdened by Connor, the Jets are +15. So an 18 goal swing for the Line 1 when Connor's not on it.

Of course, this year Connor was hurt while the Jets were on a huge roll, so if you drop this season and just look at the last 2, Connor+Scheifele are... -6. Scheifele with any other wingers besides Connor is only +4. So just a 10 goal swing. Still...

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Is Barron "Rum"?

I want to see the top line reunited as you have here.
But I think Connor-Monahan-Perfetti is worth a look.
Maybe we need a 10-0 loss before we can really get the team fired up and back on track... sigh.
I would be ok with trying Connor , Monahan and Perfetti too but i was thinking Namestnikov , Perfetti and Barron might have a pretty good edge on other teams 4th lines.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
It’s nice to see the posters back who were on vacation during the Jets massive win streak!
So nice of them to return to remind us how bad the Jets suck!

I like listening to coach post game interviews, especially the opposing team's.

Tortorella interviews can be fun, like last night.

He f***ing hates the media.

By that interview you'd think they lost 10-0

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Strange how this team goes from (almost) historic highs of number of games with less than 3 goals against, and Vezina numbers for both goalies while having a putrid PP and terrible PK. The wheels come off the 5 vs 5 play and the special teams remain in the toilet.

Not blaming Connor alone as there’s a whole bunch of names I don’t hear much of (4th line Iafollo, healthy scratch Kupari, Nino, Apples, Perfetti, Vilardi all AWOL). They really need to change those lines and Ehlers should be on line 1. Our “depth” isn’t so deep right now.
2/3s of the LAKs have been toiling between meh to not good for a while now. Iafallo is getting his daily cardio in, not doing much else. & same could be said for Kupari when he isn't participating in popcorn wars in the pressbox.

supposed depth could show up any point please....
Feels like we should be taking the word “optional” away from “practice” for a while, at least until this team re-learns how to play like the first half of the season.
or atleast keep PP practice mandatory :laugh:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He's a liability at even strength. Over the last 2 seasons plus so far this year, the Jets are -3 when Connor and Scheifele are on together at 5v5. When Scheifele is unburdened by Connor, the Jets are +15. So an 18 goal swing for the Line 1 when Connor's not on it.

Of course, this year Connor was hurt while the Jets were on a huge roll, so if you drop this season and just look at the last 2, Connor+Scheifele are... -6. Scheifele with any other wingers besides Connor is only +4. So just a 10 goal swing. Still...
Scheifele + Connor has literally never worked from a shot metrics point of view, and only ever temporarily worked from a goal differential point of view. And yet coaches keep going back to that well. It's bonkers.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
I would never trade Connor. This is a guy who put up what 47 goals for us a couple of years ago and was our leading point man last year. These types of players don't grow on trees so unless the return is something amazing I keep him.
Are there any "untouchables" on the Jets? Scheifele and Hellebuyck sure. Connor may be close but I'm not so sure.

I've got a couple of theories on why he's not potting goals at his usual rate. He did seem to be attempting more of a two-game earlier in the season but since his return from his injury I don't see it as much. Is he hesitant or overly cautious because of that injury (in his mind)? Is he having problems adjusting his game to what the coaches want? Or is it because he had his hair cut short(er) a la the Old Testament story of Samson and Delilah?:)

Seriously, I hope that he and his teammates can turn it around starting tomorrow. I believe that the Jets have the on-ice talent to be a contender but the coaches might have to bear down more than a bit too. After reading some of the information about Lauer's previous coaching gigs, I'm more than concerned about his impact on the team in particular the PP.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Monahan , Connor and Neo
Lowry , Iaffalo and Rum
If Ehlers goes up to the first, I think it's more likely he will replace Vilardi -
Or, the centers will switch - but I'm thinking it's option one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad