Post-Game Talk: Flyers 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yes - you're never going to guess what team has the worst SH% over their last 10 games: the Chicago Blackhawks! But the Jets are the 2nd worst shooting team with a paltry 5.86 SH% at all strengths. SV% is still 4th best in the league, but you gotta score to win, as the Save On Foods family tells us.

Time to hire the Clipboard Kid?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
our biggest problems on offense beside the powerplay is:
1) our passing can be god damn awful at times so many times we have a guy open for a shot but the pass is in his feet or away from him
2) over passing, always looking for the extra pass(connor's break away, perfetti anytime he's close to the net)
3) we do a good job of controlling the puck pass it back to the d who have loads of time and 90% of the time it's getting blocked

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
our biggest problems on offense beside the powerplay is:
1) our passing can be god damn awful at times so many times we have a guy open for a shot but the pass is in his feet or away from him
2) over passing, always looking for the extra pass(connor's break away, perfetti anytime he's close to the net)
3) we do a good job of controlling the puck pass it back to the d who have loads of time and 90% of the time it's getting blocked

I think the overpassing is a sign of lack of confidence. Players aren't confident in taking shots and scoring so they are passing the biscuit to someone else.

The team just needs to keep working and get it's swagger back. All teams go through stretched where confidence is low and doubt seeps in. I think this team is deeper and better then last year so I hope they can dig themselves out of it much quicker.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I am glad I had hockey last night and someone spoiled the game so I didn't have to watch it after I recorded it
I'm glad I had a last minute invite from the BF and I didn't have to watch it either. But OMG the highlights this morning were sobering. I can't believe that foxing comedy at the blueline when both defenceman back away from the puck and it winds up in our net. And Connor going in on a breakaway and then trying to pass it. Incredible!

While I agree that we need a powerplay coach (and isn't the evidence against Lauer pretty damning?) what we also need is a coach who will stencil the words "Shoot Don't Pass" on selected foreheads.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I watched until they scored at the beginning of the 2nd. Finished watching until that PP ended.
Horribad.
Should have pulled LB after the 3rd goal but for sure after the 4th.

How did Sammy look at the 2LHD spot?
Really no point in pulling LB. I don't think he was the reason we got scored on at all. That first goal he had no shot on - Vilardi pulled a last year Scheifele on that play.

If you are trying to give Helle some rest you give him the whole night off.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think the long stretch of domination we had has skewed people's expectations a little.

At the end of the day, we aren't as good as rhat stretch made us out to be. And we're not as bad as this skid we're on is making us out to be, either. Realistically, we land somewhere in the middle (if you average out both)

Maybe don't let the extremes sway you one way or the other. As has been mentionned, every team goes through stretches where shit just doesn't click for whatever reason

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think the long stretch of domination we had has skewed people's expectations a little.

At the end of the day, we aren't as good as rhat stretch made us out to be. And we're not as bad as this skid we're on is making us out to be, either. Realistically, we land somewhere in the middle (if you average out both)

Maybe don't let the extremes sway you one way or the other. As has been mentionned, every team goes through stretches where shit just doesn't click for whatever reason

sure...just like last year. End up somewhere in the middle. Perfect. :laugh:

I don't think most of us are particularly concerned about a bit of a skid. As you say, even the top teams go through them. We're concerned about a skid that turns into a sub-500 2nd half-season and ending with a whimper - which we have recent experience with here.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That's ridiculous.
Is it? Look at the +/- stats. Ignoring the numbers which I agree are meaningless, the team is almost all plusses (even 55) thanks to improved team defence but Connor is still at the bottom (ignoring Monahan who brought his dreadful numbers from Montreal) in the red. The team was doing very well with Connor sidelined and I don't think it's coincidence that the team has not being doing as well since his return. He's not the only reason, but I think his presence is a factor.

Barring a second half descent into selfishness, Scheifele will come off the top of my "must trade in the off season" list and be replaced by Connor.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Lots of ppl who don’t appear after wins commenting. Hmmm.
Some of us prefer negativity. It is our raison d'etre. If they win, there's no real cause for negativity, is there?

deal-with-it-cat.gif

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Is it? Look at the +/- stats. Ignoring the numbers which I agree are meaningless, the team is almost all plusses (even 55) thanks to improved team defence but Connor is still at the bottom (ignoring Monahan who brought his dreadful numbers from Montreal) in the red. The team was doing very well with Connor sidelined and I don't think it's coincidence that the team has not being doing as well since his return. He's not the only reason, but I think his presence is a factor.

Barring a second half descent into selfishness, Scheifele will come off the top of my "must trade in the off season" list and be replaced by Connor.
I think that there may be something to your "theory". Connor seems to be snake-biten goal scoring-wise currently but he is a very "soft" player and as much as some folks here have stated that they've noticed an improvement in his defensive game, I don't see it. I'd consider trading him or at least break up 55 and him.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Here we go again. Now what?! We have a core that folds like a cheap tent when the pressure amps up. How does that get fixed? What a joke.

Reactions: Inanna and hn777

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm not going to panic. I'm not going to panic. I'm not going to panic.

That said, that game was largely awful to the point of being humorous. Some bright spots from a few players, but not enough. 2nd power play unit looked good later in the game. Scheifele and Ehlers played well I thought.

I'm ok with giving them the Pens game as "rust" but this one isn't ok. That was "we forgot the faces of our fathers" hockey. These guys are way, way better than that but they're not at all playing like they can for reasons I don't get. The most troubling aspect is we've seen this not just last year, but also in 2018-19 after we went to the conference finals - great to Christmas then slide and fade. Why? There are relatively few remaining consistencies between those two teams.

There's a pretty weak schedule coming down our path in the next little while.
Penguins
Sharks
Canucks
Flames
Wild
Blackhawks

Jets need to go 4-2 in that stretch at minimum and if they do, I'll relax. But they need to wake up. Why is this team consistently operating under the impression that they don't need to play 60 minutes of hockey?

hardystar

Jan 18, 2023
Really no point in pulling LB. I don't think he was the reason we got scored on at all. That first goal he had no shot on - Vilardi pulled a last year Scheifele on that play.

The only reason to pull LB was to get the team to wake up. I agree LB was the least of the team's issues yesterday night.

Reactions: Jet

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

I'd feel better averaging them if the good stretch was the current one :confused:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

You pull him to give the team a kick in the ass.
Helle just came out of the break and played one game, he is well rested.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Back in PVR skip button mode. That game took me about 15 minutes to watch. Could tell after 10 minutes we were in for another stinker.

You can set your watch by this team they are so reliable at disappointing us.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gordon112358

Nov 1, 2022
I think that there may be something to your "theory". Connor seems to be snake-biten goal scoring-wise currently but he is a very "soft" player and as much as some folks here have stated that they've noticed an improvement in his defensive game, I don't see it. I'd consider trading him or at least break up 55 and him.
I would never trade Connor. This is a guy who put up what 47 goals for us a couple of years ago and was our leading point man last year. These types of players don't grow on trees so unless the return is something amazing I keep him.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I love this series so much

I watched until they scored at the beginning of the 2nd. Finished watching until that PP ended.
Horribad.
Should have pulled LB after the 3rd goal but for sure after the 4th.

How did Sammy look at the 2LHD spot?
His bad pinch deffo led to the first goal against but I thought overall he was his solid self

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad