Post-Game Talk: Fly Scored? Jets 3 Avs 0

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
From your experience working with teams, do you think it’s just plain ignorance on TNSE’s part for not recognizing the impact Petan has on top lines (specifically with Wheeler)? Or do you think that they must know by now and that there’s another reason for not giving him the chance, I.e. behavioral, lack of personal chemistry, etc?

No. I don't think it's ignorance. In fact, I'd say it's the norm and probably guess that Jets are actually better on average than most. Perfect, though, no...

I also now knowing with working with teams that decisions have more variables than who they think is the better player....
* Tenure
* Salary/Cap manipulation (this is actually a big one)
* Appeasing players in the dressing room that may think with their emotions rather than evaluating what is good for the team
* Etc.

Note: that doesn't mean it's justified, but they are reasons why coaches and GMs decision may not actually be the same as their evaluation of the superior player.

Reactions: STZD, ps241 and SM

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sure but:
2016/17: 54.9, but above 60% with Petan
2017/18: 47.8, but above 50% away from Connor

It’s also besides the point because it is Connor with plugs that is my whole point... I scoffed at someone acting like others have been killing it where Petan failed with the plugs. Roslovic scored how many points on the fourth line? Connor's EV point production has been what since being on the fourth line?

People are still drastically undervaluing what Petan did and completely ignorant of how bad all these players can be pulled down by Hendricks/Thorburn, especially with Tanev at the same time.
I understand how bad players can pull good players down, but Connor is clearly a better player than Petan. It's no accident that he's on the roster. Similarly, I think Roslovic is clearly a step ahead of Petan.

I really like Petan, but my point was that I think the Jets are better with Connor and Roslovic in the line-up than they would be with Petan instead of one of them.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
I would agree on all fronts here.

I think sometimes some people get overly defensive due to wanting to support team decisions, since others are overly go the other way.

I cannot see how people do not remember how well Petan played at points the last two years, both eye test and numbers, aside from his time on the fourth line which pretty much anyone except Perreault has struggled... because he's Perreault haha.

This has become a theme - player shows some skill, but not quite enough, so said player is demoted to junior/AHL/ECHL or is held out of the line-up for seasoning/learning/improving as Jets demonstrate patience and willingness to allow player to develop skills (which may, or may not be, related to why and when they were drafted)
Said player is then inserted into line-up out of injury necessity or roster attrition, and exhibits skill and improvement. See: Scheifele, Morrisey, Roslovic, Lowry, Copp, Chairot, Tanev, Hellebuyck, Hutchinson, and we'll be adding Lemieux, Petan, Stanley, Nicu and who knows who else to this list in the future.
Chevaldayoff has shown the willingness to invest time and patience with coaches, systems and players. So I'm not quite ready to write off Petan, Lipon, Melchiori et al just quite yet. We've all criticised some or all of these players, but the truth is that many of them would be 4th line or 3rd pairing players on several other NHL teams, and yet they can't get regular gigs in the Jets line-up. And if they prove to be a bust, the Jets eventually, and quietly, part ways.

To sum this up? Have patience, grasshopper.

Reactions: jer760

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I understand how bad players can pull good players down, but Connor is clearly a better player than Petan. It's no accident that he's on the roster. Similarly, I think Roslovic is clearly a step ahead of Petan.

I really like Petan, but my point was that I think the Jets are better with Connor and Roslovic in the line-up than they would be with Petan instead of one of them.
Wh were did I say Connor isn’t better than Petan?
The only times I’ve ranked them has been prospect rankings and Connor has never been ranked lower than Petan by me.

That said Connors performance relative to usage has been no better than Petan. That’s a different statement.

I also completely disagree with you about luck. Luck plays a huge role. Injury timing, who gets injured, when you are hot an the farm, and catching lightning in a bottle when they are called up all plays a role on whether a player stays up and is out of their control. Some of this played with Connor who was sent down briefly and came back up still the same player but stuck. Obviously skill is the driving force but it’s not completely without accident.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Just watched the replay highlights from the game on NHLNetwork and realized something. All goals were scored on the same side but the other side had 4-5 posts between both teams and we remember all those missed opportunities in the 2nd. Something about that end of the ice. Lol

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Only problem is the Burmistrov avatar was ironic. Niku would be actual fandom haha.

You probably have a reasonable idea of how Niku is looking statistically beyond the boxcars.

Anything you can share here?

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Roslovic's tenacity on the puck has been really impressive. Another poster made a comparison to Perreault, and I don't think that's a bad reference. He's very fast and hard on the puck, and he knows what to do when he retrieves it. He can really make a line go, and has high end skill and vision to play with top players. I have a feeling that if the Jets had any notions about trading him, they are starting to abandon them now. He looks like a keeper.

I like that comparison, but Ros is physically stronger, might have a higher ceiling, which would make for a heck of a player.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Jets have a CBA day off. No practice. So who is hosting the Superbowl party?

Might be a sluggish practice tomorrow;)

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Just watched the replay highlights from the game on NHLNetwork and realized something. All goals were scored on the same side but the other side had 4-5 posts between both teams and we remember all those missed opportunities in the 2nd. Something about that end of the ice. Lol

Yep, we had a great view of all the no-goals. Well, not entirely true. The Tim Bits players scored at our end. :laugh:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yep, we had a great view of all the no-goals. Well, not entirely true. The Tim Bits players scored at our end. :laugh:

That's always my wife's favourite part of a live hockey game. The Vancouver Giants also do Tim Bits hockey

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Good win.
Alvs could have used Nathan McKinnon
Expect tighter match up if we play in them in the playoffs with McKinnon in the lineup
Yeah, we coulda used Brighteyes and BAL.

Oh, and Trouba too. :nod:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No. I don't think it's ignorance. In fact, I'd say it's the norm and probably guess that Jets are actually better on average than most. Perfect, though, no...

I also now knowing with working with teams that decisions have more variables than who they think is the better player....
* Tenure
* Salary/Cap manipulation (this is actually a big one)
* Appeasing players in the dressing room that may think with their emotions rather than evaluating what is good for the team
* Etc.

Note: that doesn't mean it's justified, but they are reasons why coaches and GMs decision may not actually be the same as their evaluation of the superior player.

Yea this is a very good post. In the real world when you are in the room....on the plain....interacting with the roster and the agents and weighing all factors it makes sense things are not as black and white as they seem from the keyboard.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
That's always my wife's favourite part of a live hockey game. The Vancouver Giants also do Tim Bits hockey

Same for my wife. Personally, I think the "ref" needs to call more penalties. Interference, tripping and especially embellishment. I mean, some of these kids barely get touched and they're down on the ice. ;)

Reactions: ps241

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
lol Nashville must be kinda sour at this point. :laugh:

They're putting up a really good record, but can't catch the Jets.

I remember it being mentioned in that streak where they went 16-2-2 or whatever crazy 20 game run they went on, and they only gained 2-3 points on each team in the division.

There is no doubt about it, the Central is crazy. The only division I've seen in any pro sport, period, was the European division in the WLAF that first year, where the three teams (London, Barcelona, Frankfurt) went 9-1, 8-2 and 7-3; losing only 1 out of division game.

Heh.. WLAF = "pro sport". Okay. SEMI-pro. Point stands.

EDIT: Imagine being 7-3 and missing the playoffs while two 5-5 teams make it. Yikes!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One thing that was a bit of a jump the shark moment was last night on the post game on CBC Kelly Hrudye, Nic Kipper, Frieg and the host were really gushing about the Jets. Not often Hrudey is giving it up for the Jets. Same as Grapes on Coach's corner talking about how good the Vegas Jets game was ("One of the best Games of season"). Not sure I am ready for this positive attention.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Kyprios has been on the Jets bandwagon since early December actually, at least when he's on HCAN

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jets have an incredibly soft schedule for the rest of the season. 3 b2b's, but we also have I think 8 2 day rests between games (including this one). None of this play every other day like last year to end off.

Should keep us nice and rested for the playoffs, and due to the central being so tough we'll be playing important games right down to the end of the year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wh were did I say Connor isn’t better than Petan?
The only times I’ve ranked them has been prospect rankings and Connor has never been ranked lower than Petan by me.

That said Connors performance relative to usage has been no better than Petan. That’s a different statement.

I also completely disagree with you about luck. Luck plays a huge role. Injury timing, who gets injured, when you are hot an the farm, and catching lightning in a bottle when they are called up all plays a role on whether a player stays up and is out of their control. Some of this played with Connor who was sent down briefly and came back up still the same player but stuck. Obviously skill is the driving force but it’s not completely without accident.
I didn't say anything about luck. Connor is viewed as a better prospect than Petan, and the Jets management and coaches have a higher opinion of him (as you do). That's why he's with the Jets and Petan isn't.

The stats might suggest that Connor hasn't been better relative to usage, but I think the stats are a bit misleading. The sample size of Petan with Wheeler is quite small, and Wheeler was really rolling at that point.

As I noted, I like Petan a lot, but I still think Connor and Roslovic should be ahead of him in the depth chart.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I have been watching the CBC News Network this morning and it appears the Winnipeg Jets are the Rodney Dangerfield ("no respect") of the NHL to them. The ticker that runs along the bottom of the screen during the news program has indicated the following in relation to sports: Calgary Flames beat Blackhawks 4-3 to snap 6-game skid; Tampa Bay Lightning score 3-0 win over Vancouver Canucks; Boston Bruins surge past Toronto Maple Leafs 4-1; Tom Brady crowned league MVP on Super Bowl eve. There was no mention of the Canadian team (Winnipeg Jets) with the best record defeating the Colorado Avalanche 3-0. All morning they have been running the same ticker with no mention of the Jets. However, whenever there is some negative story about our city, then it appears on the ticker for sure. What gives? :huh:

:jets

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I have been watching the CBC News Network this morning and it appears the Winnipeg Jets are the Rodney Dangerfield ("no respect") of the NHL to them. The ticker that runs along the bottom of the screen during the news program has indicated the following in relation to sports: Calgary Flames beat Blackhawks 4-3 to snap 6-game skid; Tampa Bay Lightning score 3-0 win over Vancouver Canucks; Boston Bruins surge past Toronto Maple Leafs 4-1; Tom Brady crowned league MVP on Super Bowl eve. There was no mention of the Canadian team (Winnipeg Jets) with the best record defeating the Colorado Avalanche 3-0. All morning they have been running the same ticker with no mention of the Jets. However, whenever there is some negative story about our city, then it appears on the ticker for sure. What gives? :huh:

:jets

They were the lead story on late night Sportsnet and second story on TSN after ladies curling. Maybe we're a bit too sensitive?

Reactions: 204hockey

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If Hendricks and Tanev both go out, Lowry can't return and Matthias isn't ready, this could be Petan's last chance to do something with his NHL opportunity in Winnipeg.

I really hope he makes the most of it. Would love to see him raise his stock so we can deal him for some D depth.

Dano continues to do practically nothing out there. He's not even physical like he was when he started playing with us. He's really been disappointing to me. Oh well, we got him for a few weeks of Ladd, when we weren't making the playoffs anyways - *shrugs*

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad