Post-Game Talk: Fly Scored? Jets 3 Avs 0

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
Good for two points but bad win because all the injuries. I hope Chiarot is OK after blocking that shot with his arm. However Tanev and Hendricks are more conserning because i think their possible injuries are more serious. It sucks to loose them both. I was surprised how well Tanev did bring puck to attack zone. He did fly.

I think Chiarot is a true NHL-caliber defender. He is much better than last year and perfect 6th/7th defender in a winning team. I'm sure his NHL career will continue, if not in Jets then in somewhere else. Reliable and tough, skates well and doesn't do mistakes anymore. Wheeler is heart and soul of this team. True leader. Laine played well too, was physical and his skating is gettin better.

Anyway, Jets are team to beat at the moment.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
DVLIxKVVoAANgK-.jpg

Warning, small samples with Roslovic's different groups.

TOI in bins:

Petan w/ Wheeler 142
Petan w/ plugs 268
Petan w/o 217

Connor w/ Wheeler 540
Connor w/ plugs 110
Connor w/o 125

Roslo w/Wheeler 39
Roslo w/ plugs 42
Roslo w/o 0

Does not include today. Does not include any forward combinations that lasted less than 5 5v5 minutes.

Aside: Hurts a lil' to call Burmi a plug but he was not the same after returning from the KHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Nice win I was worried after the 2nd period with all those missed scoring chances it usually comes back to haunt you in a one goal game.
Forgot about MVP Wheeler ... it's MVP Connor Hellebuyck.
PS - I don't want to see any Ben Chiarot bashing tonight ... he had a great game.

I totally agree with this above post on Ben Chiarot -- I think he's pretty damn good !!! He makes great exit passes out of the defensive zone, and plays very steady --I see no panic in his game.

He also has a very hard accurate shot from the point. They should use it more. I don't understand why some posters like to badmouth Chiarot. He's developing his game, and getting better all the time. He's not a fancy D-man --sort of like Kulikov, but he gets the job done very well.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
DVLIxKVVoAANgK-.jpg

Warning, small samples with Roslovic's different groups.

TOI in bins:

Petan w/ Wheeler 142
Petan w/ plugs 268
Petan w/o 217

Connor w/ Wheeler 540
Connor w/ plugs 110
Connor w/o 125

Roslo w/Wheeler 39
Roslo w/ plugs 42
Roslo w/o 0

Does not include today. Does not include any forward combinations that lasted less than 5 5v5 minutes.

Aside: Hurts a lil' to call Burmi a plug but he was not the same after returning from the KHL.
Playing with Wheeler this season is not the same as playing with Wheeler last season, when it comes to shot metrics.

2016/17: 54.9
2017/18: 47.8

For whatever reasons, playing with Wheeler this season has not been likely to boost a player's CF%, whereas it was a big boost in previous seasons.

WPG

The data for Roslovic above is the most impressive to me, and it's not particularly close. So, if I have to choose between Petan and Roslovic, it's Roslovic hands down. Same with Connor, but for somewhat different reasons.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Agree with the Chiarot comments
Much improved from last year
Last season he was icing the puck more often
This year more poised and less panicky
Seems to be able to make good exit passes like the rest of the D-Corp

Reactions: Jets2point0 and GNP

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Currently an Unconfirmed report

But they were losing 3-0 after 60, pretty sure thing :D

Armia is playing hurt I was at the game he kept going on the ice between whistles and shaking his right leg I think it’s his knee.He kept double pushing with his left leg.He has a couple of plays where his knee gave right out.He has been slow for the last couple of games and I now know why.I could see Hendricks,Tanev and Armia all being out for the next game.

Well, you know, about time already. He missed a couple of games early tjis season I think, but otherwise has been too healthy :(

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Did not expect anything less. Solid team win.

Ehlers is cursed, I'm glad he got the EN so that there is at least some justice in the world.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and GNP

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice tidy win!

All Boats seem to rise when you have good goaltending don’t they?

Apologies to PMo for me questioning Chairot being used for the game. I thought Ben played well and I did not realize Kuli played about half of last season on the right side. Paul’s explanation for the usage in the pregame presser made sense.

Yea Rolso is a hockey player isn’t he. He is a bit more tenacious on the checking side of things and man he makes some really smart plays.

Man we are getting banged up aren’t we but this is where our insane depth pays off.....we are not just bringing up warm bodies we are bringing up guys who are really good players that would be on most NHL rosters.

Did I mention how much I like finally having a star goalie on our team?

Keep the train rolling and if the injuries don’t kill you they let allot of young talent get important minutes and experience.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nice tidy win!

Apologies to PMo for me questioning Chairot being used for the game. I thought Ben played well and I did not realize Kuli played about half of last season on the right side. Paul’s explanation for the usage in the pregame presser made sense.

Yea Rolso is a hockey player isn’t he. He is a bit more tenacious on the checking side of things and man he makes some really smart plays.

Man we are getting banged up aren’t we but this is where our insane depth pays off.....we are not just bringing up warm bodies we are bringing up guys who are really good players that would be on most NHL rosters.

Keep the train rolling and if the injuries don’t kill you they let allot of young talent get important minutes and expirince.
Roslovic's tenacity on the puck has been really impressive. Another poster made a comparison to Perreault, and I don't think that's a bad reference. He's very fast and hard on the puck, and he knows what to do when he retrieves it. He can really make a line go, and has high end skill and vision to play with top players. I have a feeling that if the Jets had any notions about trading him, they are starting to abandon them now. He looks like a keeper.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Good playoff type game win , really solid game from Helly and this game is a perfect example of why Wheeler is captain and a MVP candidate . Not a good game from Myers but a player isn't going to have a great game every game and we won so no biggie . Man this is almost making winter bearable with how good the Jets are . Lets keep the tires spinning and the beavers grining . :laugh:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

You and I are really happy, but nothing compared to Maurice. Some people suddenly think he is the greatest coach in the history of hockey!
:sarcasm:

Reactions: DRC and ps241

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
so who are the next men up?
i assume we need 2 call-ups, if not 3.
Lemieux for Tanev and do you call up Petan for Hendricks? once Scheifele's back this week, do you keep Wheeler as a centre and use Petan as a winger?

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Nice tidy win!

We are *very* nicked up. It'll be interesting who gets picked to suit up. Lemieux brings a lot of toughness. Petan would surprise me somewhat.

As per the discussion above, I noticed Armia was not himself - and hope its not his knee. Lowry brings so much toughness to this team - can't have him come back soon enough.

The outstanding thing - that this team just keeps rolling - is unique. I have honestly never seen a Jets team (1.0 or 2.0) with more resiliency. As ps241 says, goaltending makes everything look slick.

Me: We're rich?
Evidence: We are rich.
Me: What, we're rich? How? When did this happen?
Evidence: <smacking me on the head>
Me: <<wash of realization, followed by excessive bouyancy>> Feels good.
:popcorn:

Last edited:

WiscoJet

May 3, 2016
Props to Chevy and his staff, more so props to Chipman for sticking by Chevy during some tumultuous times, but even more so props to the City of Winnipeg, could never be this patient in probably 85% of the markets in the NHL. Kind of a perfect storm to have a GM that was allowed to be patient and is in fact patient, an owner that was patient, and having one of if not the best fan bases in pro sports. I live in Wisconsin so I know what it is like to be apart of a rabid fan-base (Packers). Also to add to that perfect storm is when we jumped up in the lottery from 6 to 2, I will never forget that day as long as I live. It was crazy to go from talking about Ehlers and Connor to talking about Laine. All of the sudden Ehlers and Connor who were in lead roles became supporting cast. In my head I kind of knew that needed to happen for us to have something truly truly special.

Not going to lie last year was tough. I thought Hellebuyck was the missing piece and we were ready to take off last year, but it didn't happen. In the offseason I have to give Chevy credit, a lot of us wanted to make a splash goalie signing like Darling or Bishop, or give up assets to get a goalie. Instead Chevy looked for an insurance policy (Mason or Elliott) instead of someone who would over shadow Helle. We will look back on that decision when we are making cap decisions in the near future as a blessing, but no one will ever talk about it because it was a good thing that happened in hindsight. More so props to Helle for actually putting in the necessary work to have this great of a season. He saved our butts the first 10-15 games of the season.

I could go on and on but Kulikov was another great signing, he was laughed at by anyone who had any attachment to Buffalo. Kuli and Chevy getting the last laugh on that one.

Let's just ride out the perfect storm guys, can't think of a more deserving city than Winnipeg. Oh and a playoff series vs. Minnesota, St. Louis, or Chicago would be greatly appreciated so I can go to my first Jets game. I am going to assume it will be an upgrade over the Moose playing in Milwaukee.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Props to Chevy and his staff, more so props to Chipman for sticking by Chevy during some tumultuous times, but even more so props to the City of Winnipeg, could never be this patient in probably 85% of the markets in the NHL. Kind of a perfect storm to have a GM that was allowed to be patient and is in fact patient, an owner that was patient, and having one of if not the best fan bases in pro sports. I live in Wisconsin so I know what it is like to be apart of a rabid fan-base (Packers). Also to add to that perfect storm is when we jumped up in the lottery from 6 to 2, I will never forget that day as long as I live. It was crazy to go from talking about Ehlers and Connor to talking about Laine. All of the sudden Ehlers and Connor who were in lead roles became supporting cast. In my head I kind of knew that needed to happen for us to have something truly truly special.

Not going to lie last year was tough. I thought Hellebuyck was the missing piece and we were ready to take off last year, but it didn't happen. In the offseason I have to give Chevy credit, a lot of us wanted to make a splash goalie signing like Darling or Bishop, or give up assets to get a goalie. Instead Chevy looked for an insurance policy (Mason or Elliott) instead of someone who would over shadow Helle. We will look back on that decision when we are making cap decisions in the near future as a blessing, but no one will ever talk about it because it was a good thing that happened in hindsight. More so props to Helle for actually putting in the necessary work to have this great of a season. He saved our butts the first 10-15 games of the season.

I could go on and on but Kulikov was another great signing, he was laughed at by anyone who had any attachment to Buffalo. Kuli and Chevy getting the last laugh on that one.

Let's just ride out the perfect storm guys, can't think of a more deserving city than Winnipeg. Oh and a playoff series vs. Minnesota, St. Louis, or Chicago would be greatly appreciated so I can go to my first Jets game. I am going to assume it will be an upgrade over the Moose playing in Milwaukee.

Was in Milwaukee last yr for training from one of our suppliers nice city. Went to a Bavarian Restaurant with a large outdoor beer garden and had a very tasty meal and good conversation with people mostly about Packers and Vikings.

Reactions: WiscoJet

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Playing with Wheeler this season is not the same as playing with Wheeler last season, when it comes to shot metrics.

2016/17: 54.9
2017/18: 47.8

For whatever reasons, playing with Wheeler this season has not been likely to boost a player's CF%, whereas it was a big boost in previous seasons.

WPG

The data for Roslovic above is the most impressive to me, and it's not particularly close. So, if I have to choose between Petan and Roslovic, it's Roslovic hands down. Same with Connor, but for somewhat different reasons.

Sure but:
2016/17: 54.9, but above 60% with Petan
2017/18: 47.8, but above 50% away from Connor

It’s also besides the point because it is Connor with plugs that is my whole point... I scoffed at someone acting like others have been killing it where Petan failed with the plugs. Roslovic scored how many points on the fourth line? Connor's EV point production has been what since being on the fourth line?

People are still drastically undervaluing what Petan did and completely ignorant of how bad all these players can be pulled down by Hendricks/Thorburn, especially with Tanev at the same time.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Is it wheeler or is it because he’s with those people?

It’s not like Connor’s results with Wheeler or others is that much different this year from last?
I said in another thread imagine if Petan got a chance with Wheels this year like Connor ad Roslo did, he would excel is my guess. He's improved his game and plays with more speed this year and I think he would do well there. Im not getting down on Roslo or Connor but if you look at AHL sample this year Petan deserves that chance as much as Roslo if he gets a recall.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If we have multiple injures i would like Appleton to get a look to reward his great play with the Moose this season .

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I said in another thread imagine if Petan got a chance with Wheels this year like Connor ad Roslo did, he would excel is my guess. He's improved his game and plays with more speed this year and I think he would do well there. Im not getting down on Roslo or Connor but if you look at AHL sample this year Petan deserves that chance as much as Roslo if he gets a recall.

I would agree on all fronts here.

I think sometimes some people get overly defensive due to wanting to support team decisions, since others are overly go the other way.

I cannot see how people do not remember how well Petan played at points the last two years, both eye test and numbers, aside from his time on the fourth line which pretty much anyone except Perreault has struggled... because he's Perreault haha.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Sure but:

It’s also besides the point because it is Connor with plugs that is my whole point... I scoffed at someone acting like others have been killing it where Petan failed with the plugs. Roslovic scored how many points on the fourth line? Connor's EV point production has been what since being on the fourth line?

People are still drastically undervaluing what Petan did and completely ignorant of how bad all these players can be pulled down by Hendricks/Thorburn, especially with Tanev at the same time.

Just double checked...

2016/17 54.9%
2017/18 54.7% when away from Connor

Now this isn't against Connor. I'm sure anyone can remember how excited I was for Connor at the draft, and would recall I ranked him 5th OA that year.

It's just inconsistent evaluation happening here with young players and a poor understanding of how QoT can impact things like scoring, Corsi, *and the eye test*.

All Wheeler lines with at least 5 mins this year:
Scheif/Connor 47%
Laine/Connor 49%

Scheif/Ehlers 52%
Roslovic/Laine 53%
Scheif/Perre 62%
Perre/Laine 53%
Perre/Ehlers 75%

Last edited:

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Sure but:

From your experience working with teams, do you think it’s just plain ignorance on TNSE’s part for not recognizing the impact Petan has on top lines (specifically with Wheeler)? Or do you think that they must know by now and that there’s another reason for not giving him the chance, I.e. behavioral, lack of personal chemistry, etc?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad