Post-Game Talk: Fly Scored? Jets 3 Avs 0

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Who said anything about breaking up MP-L-E
Assuming Lowry, Tanev and Hendricks are out next game I would assume something like below.
Laine-Wheeler-Roslovic (or Connor)
MP-Little-Ehlers
???-Copp-Armia
Lemieux-Petan-???

If Lowry is in then this gets shuffled.
Connor (or Roslovic) will either be on the 3rd or 4th depending on Lowry.
If Lowry is out we'll need a 3rd Moose call up.

A Lemieux-Petan-Connor 4th line would be better for Nic then some of the line mates he's had at the NHL level.

Petan hasn't played C in an awfully long time. I think having him jump a level of hockey and then asking him to play a more difficult position that he hasn't played much is probably not putting him in a position to succed

Reactions: Jimby

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Petan hasn't played C in an awfully long time. I think having him jump a level of hockey and then asking him to play a more difficult position that he hasn't played much is probably not putting him in a position to succed

I'm fine with him on the wing.
We just seem to be very short of centers at the moment.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'm fine with him on the wing.
We just seem to be very short of centers at the moment.

Perhaps they let Roslovic have a shot or maybe the call up Sgarbossa?

Maybe run

Petan Wheeler Laine
Perreault Little Ehlers
Lemieux Copp Armia
Connor Roslovic Dano

Or

Laine Wheeler Roslovic
Perreault Little Wheeler
Lemieux/Petan Copp Armia
Connor Sgarbossa Dano

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Id be surprised. I think hes moved for a depth D man. Petan plus 3rd or 4th for Ian Cole type.

Jeebus! Petan is easily worth Cole by himself. Pens should be the ones adding.

I get that you don't like Petan - but ****!

CH3NO2

Jul 9, 2011
That might be the case. However, this is not the first occasion where the Jets score hasn't been shown on the ticker. It's happened a number of times this season. However, they never fail to mention the Leafs score whenever they played the night before.

:jets
Lets not forget it's more important to report the Leafs bus driver winning $10 on scratch tickets on a night when they lose than any aspect of a Jets game lol
But don't take it personally, it's the way it'll always be. Right now the only Canadian teams in the playoff hunt is Jets and Leafs. If that holds till the post season it will be interesting to see if the Jets get more coverage or relegated to coverage after reporting baseball training camp pranks.....

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Perhaps they let Roslovic have a shot or maybe the call up Sgarbossa?

Maybe run

Petan Wheeler Laine
Perreault Little Ehlers
Lemieux Copp Armia
Connor Roslovic Dano

Or

Laine Wheeler Roslovic
Perreault Little Wheeler
Lemieux/Petan Copp Armia
Connor Sgarbossa Dano

While it makes some sense I don't see Petan getting 1st line treatment right out of the gate.
If Petan plays, which it seems he should I believe he will be part of a 4th line with Dano and either Roslovic as his center or if Lowry returns then "MAYBE" Copp.
But Mo will want Lowry and Copp together.

In years past Cormier would for sure be in the lineup by now.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Lets not forget it's more important to report the Leafs bus driver winning $10 on scratch tickets on a night when they lose than any aspect of a Jets game lol
But don't take it personally, it's the way it'll always be. Right now the only Canadian teams in the playoff hunt is Jets and Leafs. If that holds till the post season it will be interesting to see if the Jets get more coverage or relegated to coverage after reporting baseball training camp pranks.....

There's certainly some validity to this.
But on a night when Grapes spent most of his time talking about us and the HNIC panel gushed about us it seems less relevant.

I think the Jets TSN3 contract means that Sportsnet will focus less on us.
That's a business decision to promote their own programming more.
Same reason that Leafs get all the coverage because the interest from their fans drives the $$$.

Just wait until we are the only Canadian team left standing... they'll have no choice but to talk about us then ;)

Reactions: CH3NO2

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
While it makes some sense I don't see Petan getting 1st line treatment right out of the gate.
If Petan plays, which it seems he should I believe he will be part of a 4th line with Dano and either Roslovic as his center or if Lowry returns then "MAYBE" Copp.
But Mo will want Lowry and Copp together.

In years past Cormier would for sure be in the lineup by now.

I thought we were assuming Lowry was not returning for the Coyotes game when I suggested those lines.

Maurice did say early in the season callups would play the same roll they were with the Moose.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Would love to see Roslo as a center to see if he can play the position well, it will make things easier when Schief gets back. Hendricks is the easiest to take out of the line-up. Run Lowry, Copp, Tanev as your 4th line if Roslo can play center with Armia and Connor. If he can only play wing at the NHL level well that's good to know too.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I would agree on all fronts here.

I think sometimes some people get overly defensive due to wanting to support team decisions, since others are overly go the other way.

I cannot see how people do not remember how well Petan played at points the last two years, both eye test and numbers, aside from his time on the fourth line which pretty much anyone except Perreault has struggled... because he's Perreault haha.

Yep -- especially before his injury, when he was playing with so much speed and aggression and confidence. Looked like the player he promised to be in juniors then. I don't see Lemieux as comparable really, even with the intangibles (and I like Lemmy as a player for the most part). Maybe Petan needs to send a crate of gum to PoMo as a make-up gift.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I like that comparison, but Ros is physically stronger, might have a higher ceiling, which would make for a heck of a player.

I'm a big Roslo fan, and he may well be a better skater than MP85, but Matty's ability see the game from both ends of the ice is unrivalled on the Jets (and by only a handful of other players, IMO). I have a friend who played pro and now runs a network of hockey camps and he uses Perrault as an exemplar of smart play on and off the puck. If Roslovic can think like MP while playing a faster, stronger game, he'll be a team cornerstone for a good long time.

Reactions: STZD

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Another big home ice adjCorsi (61.02) and xGF (63.82) win.

Remember a few years ago when Hellebuyck was tearing up the NCAA and he had more shutouts than losses? He's got 6 losses and 5 shutouts right now - I think it's in reach...

WLOTPts%GFGADiff
adjCF% > 502255.76611067+43
xGF% > 502243.8109648+48
adjCF% < 50984.5246272-10
xGF% < 50996.5007691-15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The Jets rolling 20 game xGF% is at a season high of 54.68. Keep in mind after the first 20 games of the season it was 47.84...so up nearly 7% so far.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Another big home ice adjCorsi (61.02) and xGF (63.82) win.

Remember a few years ago when Hellebuyck was tearing up the NCAA and he had more shutouts than losses? He's got 6 losses and 5 shutouts right now - I think it's in reach...

WLOTPts%GFGADiff
adjCF% > 502255.76611067+43
xGF% > 502243.8109648+48
adjCF% < 50984.5246272-10
xGF% < 50996.5007691-15
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Jets rolling 20 game xGF% is at a season high of 54.68. Keep in mind after the first 20 games of the season it was 47.84...so up nearly 7% so far.

I'm pretty happy with how this looks relative to the league as well

IMG_0520.png

Reactions: YWGinYYZ and Gm0ney

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
No. I don't think it's ignorance. In fact, I'd say it's the norm and probably guess that Jets are actually better on average than most. Perfect, though, no...

I also now knowing with working with teams that decisions have more variables than who they think is the better player....
* Tenure
* Salary/Cap manipulation (this is actually a big one)
* Appeasing players in the dressing room that may think with their emotions rather than evaluating what is good for the team
* Etc.

Note: that doesn't mean it's justified, but they are reasons why coaches and GMs decision may not actually be the same as their evaluation of the superior player.

Thanks a lot for this post. Definitely answers some questions for me.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Thanks a lot for this post. Definitely answers some questions for me.

I had one team I worked for a few years ago doing AHL stats for them.
I made suggestions for call-ups and they said budget/cap manipulations actually prevented them from using my suggestion every single time, despite them wanting to follow my advice.
There's a lot of things that goes on beyond what may be the team's best chance at winning in the present.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I had one team I worked for a few years ago doing AHL stats for them.
I made suggestions for call-ups and they said budget/cap manipulations actually prevented them from using my suggestion every single time, despite them wanting to follow my advice.
There's a lot of things that goes on beyond what may be the team's best chance at winning in the present.

And obviously waiver status also is a major factor at times. You would think that a team as far under the cap like the Jets are at this point in the season would have less financial pressure though.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Great to see Ehlers finally score
I've liked Buff and Enstrom a lot recently
Another Helle shutout as well!

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
There was like a half shift that Connor and Roslovic were on together and they created well, they have chemistry and could be fun to watch. When I've seen Roslo and Petan on the Moose together, they were very good as well. If we're as injured as it sounds like we might be after this game I wouldn't mind trying a Connor-Roslovic-Petan sheltered 4th line to see how they'd do.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There was like a half shift that Connor and Roslovic were on together and they created well, they have chemistry and could be fun to watch. When I've seen Roslo and Petan on the Moose together, they were very good as well. If we're as injured as it sounds like we might be after this game I wouldn't mind trying a Connor-Roslovic-Petan sheltered 4th line to see how they'd do.
Could be a heck of a fourth line.

Reactions: Atoyot

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk

*drools

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets offense is great, but it's their ability to also shut down other teams' offense that makes them a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad