GDT: Florida Panthers vs. St. Louis Blues 10/12/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Great Game and a good overall Game against the Blues end their 4 Game winning streak.
Still one thing to mention cause it totally shines out. Dadonov and McGinn still not in the Panthers Game not even in the Game.

And now we had the Problem we spoke about, if you put Vrbata on the first Line. There is no chemistry on the second Line. Cause McGinn doesnt fit the Trocheck Game and Dadonov need more time to find the best Teammates to play with.
But to move Vrbata on the 1st Line makes sense, when you have two passer on the Line and no one shoot the Puck.

What now Bench McGinn or Haley to open space for Tippett or Malgin and make the 2nd line real fast with Tro/Dad/X???
Mcginn doesn't need to fit perfectly, he needs to create space, go to the net, and add a physical element. Let Tro and Dadonov maintain possession and get the puck to the net. The two of them have good speed. Mcginn doesn't belong on the second line but he's the best option we have for now.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Great Game and a good overall Game against the Blues end their 4 Game winning streak.
Still one thing to mention cause it totally shines out. Dadonov and McGinn still not in the Panthers Game not even in the Game.

And now we had the Problem we spoke about, if you put Vrbata on the first Line. There is no chemistry on the second Line. Cause McGinn doesnt fit the Trocheck Game and Dadonov need more time to find the best Teammates to play with.
But to move Vrbata on the 1st Line makes sense, when you have two passer on the Line and no one shoot the Puck.

What now Bench McGinn or Haley to open space for Tippett or Malgin and make the 2nd line real fast with Tro/Dad/X???
I don't know how Boughner handles these things. Coaches like to favor veterans over young guys. We'll see. I'd rather keep Haley in though, if we're going to bench either one.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Dadonov keeps on puck watching. He has all the tools to be an effective top 6 player but he needs to keep moving his feet.

Maybe Trocheck's speed will rub off on him? He seems shy sometimes, very perimeter which is not good right now. He's best when getting the puck with speed and entering the zone on the wing. They could create some havoc together while McGinn can crash/screen the net or maybe it's time to release the "Malgin"?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Swapping Dadonov and Vrbata could help both lines. First line over passes, Vrbata will fix that quickly. Trocheck can't sustain much in the o-zone because McGinn isn't much of puck possession guy and Vrbata shoots immediately. Dadonov could be a nice compliment to Tro and McGinn.

Not even near, cause McGinn show nothing that would bring up Arguments to let him stay on the 2nd Line. In all 3 Games so far only Vrbata/Tro was running the 2nd Line. Even in this Game tro&Vrbata goes and shoot the Puck on the Net what did McGinn, did his Check in the end when Blues had already the Puck. Maybe Dad&tro find chemistry, but that need time. What then loosing Points from the second Line we get so far only, for the chemistry on 1st Line.

That is a real Problem what was easy to see, that it will come up. And now they must find the best answer. And one should be clear, Line3 and 4 stay together as long no one get Injuried. Only option Bench McGinn or Haley and bring in Tippett or Malgin on 2nd Line Winger.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Just health and confidence and a general better whole team feeling
Disagree, yes what you said has played a part, but he's never looked this good, healthy or injured. The year he had 40+ pts and 20+ goals, he was a very one dimensional player. Now he's putting in the effort, whether he has the puck or not. That isn't a health thing, that's an attitude thing.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Dadonov is fine. He has three points in three games. He's getting to scoring areas and hitting the net. He's playing well. I don't see him as a perimeter player at all. The guy goes hard to the net, he is always trying to get to the slot., he is always around the net.

And sorry JLD, but if you think he's "slightly faster" you're not watching the right player. The guy can skate.

He is only going to get better as he adjusts to new line mates and a smaller rink.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Not even near, cause McGinn show nothing that would bring up Arguments to let him stay on the 2nd Line. In all 3 Games so far only Vrbata/Tro was running the 2nd Line. Even in this Game tro&Vrbata goes and shoot the Puck on the Net what did McGinn, did his Check in the end when Blues had already the Puck. Maybe Dad&tro find chemistry, but that need time. What then loosing Points from the second Line we get so far only, for the chemistry on 1st Line.

That is a real Problem what was easy to see, that it will come up. And now they must find the best answer. And one should be clear, Line3 and 4 stay together as long no one get Injuried. Only option Bench McGinn or Haley and bring in Tippett or Malgin on 2nd Line Winger.
I can't see any lineup changes until someone gets hurt or someone has a really bad game. You can't move anyone on the third line, that line has chemistry. Nobody on fourth line moves. Malgin could play but coach wants a forechecker to add some physicality to that line. 2LW is a hole but it's okay for now. We have better options on RW to get some chemistry.

Reactions: Benched

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Dadonov keeps on puck watching. He has all the tools to be an effective top 6 player but he needs to keep moving his feet.
Agree, he watches the play a bit too much when he doesn't have the puck, which is exactly what not to do with Barky and Hubie, who will find you if you move and get open.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I don't know how Boughner handles these things. Coaches like to favor veterans over young guys. We'll see. I'd rather keep Haley in though, if we're going to bench either one.

You can see McGinn as the Net upfront presence. But in view you dont need that on a fast Game.Trocheck /Dadonov possible could be bring in.
I dont see what did McGinn so great on the Ice not even a single thing on 3 Games. The only thing is stay infront of the net during PP. We had that befor with Upshall he played on the 4th Line for that important Job.
Im personally not see confirmation on the Way McGinn play Hockey.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I can't see any lineup changes until someone gets hurt or someone has a really bad game. You can't move anyone on the third line, that line has chemistry. Nobody on fourth line moves. Malgin could play but coach wants a forechecker to add some physicality to that line. 2LW is a hole but it's okay for now. We have better options on RW to get some chemistry.

But if you play 2nd Line bring something on the Table. that means Points. The Guy earn 3,333,333 Mio and brought nothing to the Table. In a normal Franchise you do this 10-15 Games have fun been scratched. A Top 6 Player must bring in Points to the Club that is his Job Role.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
But if you play 2nd Line bring something on the Table. that means Points. The Guy earn 3,333,333 Mio and brought nothing to the Table. In a normal Franchise you do this 10-15 Games have fun been scratched. A Top 6 Player must bring in Points to the Club that is his Job Role.
Zach freaking Hyman plays with Auston Matthews on the first line. It's our best option for now. Mcginn is a bottom 6 guy but let's see if Dadonov makes that line more productive. The team is winning and the second line is playing well enough.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Maybe Trocheck's speed will rub off on him? He seems shy sometimes, very perimeter which is not good right now. He's best when getting the puck with speed and entering the zone on the wing. They could create some havoc together while McGinn can crash/screen the net or maybe it's time to release the "Malgin"?

He looks great when he has the puck. But without it I catch him standing around.

He's a like Jagr but smaller and only slightly faster.

Jagr just didn't have the wheels anymore, he wasn't puck watching. Dadonov is way faster than Jags lol.

Agree, he watches the play a bit too much when he doesn't have the puck, which is exactly what not to do with Barky and Hubie, who will find you if you move and get open.

Yeah. Both Barky and Hubs have insane playmaking capability but if Dads doesn't get open it gets wasted. It's not like the big European rink where you have a ton of space to get open, here you really have to go to those places where there is room.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Such a fun team to watch. They backcheck, take pride in their own zone, quality shots and overall attacking nature, stand up for themselves.

That Pietro bad pinch job on PP that led to Tro's SHG would've made a lot of posters here LOSE THEIR MINDS if skate was on the other foot.

Keep good times rolling. Young Dcore way better than last year's version. Liking Boogies style.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007

McGinn fits in the second line because he brings physicality. He finishes checks, forechecks and clears space in front of the net for the skill forwards in Tro and Daddy, giving them shooting lanes and room to maneuver. He balances that line perfectly.

Can’t say enough about the job Boogie has done balancing these lines. The ONLY thing I’d change is to move Bjuggy up if he continues to play this kind of game. That’s it. And even with hat he seems to have a great chemistry with Brick and McCann.

Loving this team.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
really glad to see luongo have a strong game.

bjugstad with an awesome goal, thats a really difficult shot to nail. keep shooting and bury his chances will help us a lot. mccann looks incredible, his speed is muchhhhh needed and really makes that 3rd line click. the two big guys on the wings and hes flying around pressuring the puck and getting into open areas. great vision and pass by vrbata for his goal.

nice to see ekblad get his first, nice puck movement and finish and he had a great chance earlier in that play so its good he was able to cap it off. also good to se mccoshen get his first, hes underrated in the offensive zone, he has a bomb and can get it on net and can walk the blue line nicely. all around hes been fantastic.

the 3rd line is great, keep it in tact, keep the 4th in tact its nice to have haley in there, id say swap vrbata and dadonov. dadonov did have a great chance in the slot and is getting good looks, hes always in the slot and can probably pop in some rebounds like he did on opening night. play him with a shooter like trocheck and together they have great speed. vrbata may be a better fit for barkov/huberdeau (who btw are playing just fine, i feel like this is year 1 of being in their prime, from the start they look and seem like veterans, just a matter of finding the best fit for them). i wouldnt play malgin for mcginn, i want the bigger body in there. offense isnt an issue so far, 13g in the first 3 games. at least 3 goals per game, 3 then 5 then 5 again.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
really glad to see luongo have a strong game.

bjugstad with an awesome goal, thats a really difficult shot to nail. keep shooting and bury his chances will help us a lot. mccann looks incredible, his speed is muchhhhh needed and really makes that 3rd line click. the two big guys on the wings and hes flying around pressuring the puck and getting into open areas. great vision and pass by vrbata for his goal.

nice to see ekblad get his first, nice puck movement and finish and he had a great chance earlier in that play so its good he was able to cap it off. also good to se mccoshen get his first, hes underrated in the offensive zone, he has a bomb and can get it on net and can walk the blue line nicely. all around hes been fantastic.

the 3rd line is great, keep it in tact, keep the 4th in tact its nice to have haley in there, id say swap vrbata and dadonov. dadonov did have a great chance in the slot and is getting good looks, hes always in the slot and can probably pop in some rebounds like he did on opening night. play him with a shooter like trocheck and together they have great speed. vrbata may be a better fit for barkov/huberdeau (who btw are playing just fine, i feel like this is year 1 of being in their prime, from the start they look and seem like veterans, just a matter of finding the best fit for them). i wouldnt play malgin for mcginn, i want the bigger body in there. offense isnt an issue so far, 13g in the first 3 games. at least 3 goals per game, 3 then 5 then 5 again.
Agree with all of this. McGinn is playing his ass off and bringing a physical element to that line that is really opening the ice up. Leave it be.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Lu saved the day. Great GT against Blues PP and ES as our PK wasn't pressuring in the 1st or part of the 2nd. Yandle and Ek still look shaky as Yandle had his first wiff on a pass this season. Upshall broke clean but Lu was up to the task on his attempt and follow up. Ekblad was no where in support. Yandle then left Lu hanging out to dry on the PK as Stastny walked right in for an easy goal. Ek easily beaten to the outside by Jaden Schwartz as he was out of position again just like against Palat as Lu saved his bacon. Offensively both did a good job.

Bjugs had another solid game. His shot and confidence are back and he's playing with 2 guys that have excellent quickness and speed. All 3 are pressuring on the forecheck and Nick got his goal by hanging out by the blue line as McCann's speed and quickness started the breakout and got the puck to Nick who's strength, speed and shot gave Allen no chance. These guys need more TOI than the 11 minutes they are receiving. Nick's asset on the forecheck is that huge wingspan and it compliments the other two with their quickness. Solid line.

All the non-sense about Petro is just that. He and McCoshen both played over 15 minutes tonight. Neither is getting quality special teams time as Boughner has elected to go with the guys he feels are more suited. I don't see him taking a seat unless he really has a bad game. :)

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Weakness is still powerplay and it cost us the game in Tampa. We gotta find a way to fix it and work with the guys we got. Seems like copying other teams' systems isn't working.

Well Barkov isn't Connor McDavid, so his goal doesn't count, lol

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I think that McCoshen will pencil a long term contract with the Cats some day albeit probably not an eight year bid, à la Matheson.
in his first ahl year last season didnt he lead the team in +/-? hes always had a strong +/- and although its not a perfect stat it reinforces his play, hes such a steady, efficient, and stabilizing force back there. and now hes looking fantastic at the nhl level.

longterm i see matheson and mccoshen on the left side, pysyk and weegar (i like weegar) on the right side. a matter of who's the other rd and ld, right now we have ekblad and yandle, i see one staying and the other one leaving in the not so distant future (speaking of offseasons that is). Matheson/McCoshen/??? on the left side, and Ekblad/Pysyk/Weegar on the right side, that looks like a great d corp to me.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad