Speculation: Florida about to acquire a goalie

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Are we all really thinking mediocre goalies like grubauer and dell will look good here? Jeez. With our D they will look like trash.
when has dell posted bad numbers in the nhl? and outside of this season so far, grubauer has put up very steady numbers in both the nhl and ahl and has more experience. which backups would be better to target?

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
when has dell posted bad numbers in the nhl? and outside of this season so far, grubauer has put up very steady numbers in both the nhl and ahl and has more experience. which backups would be better to target?
Dell plays on one of the best defensive teams in the nhl? He is another Hammond. If he gets here he gets waived.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
So McKenzie thinks Reimer is history as the Cats will look for somebody younger with NHL experience to be Lu's backup. Well if it's Hutchinson it will cost us at least our 2nd round pick which is looking more and more to be #32 overall. Then we have to move Reimer which will cost us at least $1.M + a prospect or draft pick.

Dale's out beating the Bush's (hopefully the one that like's to grab some tush). :laugh:

a second round pick for Hutchinson? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

he will cost no where near that much.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Andrew Hammond is terrible. He shouldn't be an option.

Not a fan of Aaron Dell. But none of the goalies being mentioned are very attractive either. I'd rather have Grubauer than Dell though.

If we're actually in the hunt for a long term solition - Jusse Saros of the Predators would be my target. I like him alot. Reminds me of Bobrovsky. Just smaller. Would cost more, but worth the shot IMO.

Joonas Korpisalo is also an interesting goalie with potential.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Andrew Hammond is terrible. He shouldn't be an option.

Not a fan of Aaron Dell. But none of the goalies being mentioned are very attractive either. I'd rather have Grubauer than Dell though.

If we're actually in the hunt for a long term solition - Jusse Saros of the Predators would be my target. I like him alot. Reminds me of Bobrovsky. Just smaller. Would cost more, but worth the shot IMO.

Joonas Korpisalo is also an interesting goalie with potential.
Korpisalo would be interesting. He has a lot of potential. He just needs to hit it. His athleticism is off the charts.

Reactions: CanadianPantherFan

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
ive thought of saros and korpisalo too, but outside his first year korpisalo has put up mediocre numbers, and saros isnt playing well at all right now along with being short. looking at the resumes grubauer sticks out more. although i wouldnt be opposed to any.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
a second round pick for Hutchinson? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

he will cost no where near that much.
Apparently you don't know the GM for the Cats very well.;) I don't think he has any qualms about dealing that 2nd round pick on a standout AHL goalie in lieu of picking up some has been like Niemi off of waivers.

22 yr old Comrie (late 2nd rounder) got the call up to the Jets in lieu of 27 yr old Hutchinson (middle 3rd rounder) with Mason out with a concussion. Comrie is 8-4-1 in the AHL with a .927. Hutchinson is 9-1 in the AHL with a .951. One thing is certain, Manitoba is a very good defensive team in the AHL as both goalie's are playing over their head.

It's either pay the piper a 2nd rounder for an AHL riser or get taken to the cleaners in a trade for an established NHL backup that is coming up for UFA in the off-season. Then it's on to UFA where we will lose to other teams because we are not a destination..........unless we overpay by 50% on salary/term.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::naughty:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Apparently you don't know the GM for the Cats very well.;) I don't think he has any qualms about dealing that 2nd round pick on a standout AHL goalie in lieu of picking up some has been like Niemi off of waivers.

22 yr old Comrie (late 2nd rounder) got the call up to the Jets in lieu of 27 yr old Hutchinson (middle 3rd rounder) with Mason out with a concussion. Comrie is 8-4-1 in the AHL with a .927. Hutchinson is 9-1 in the AHL with a .951. One thing is certain, Manitoba is a very good defensive team in the AHL as both goalie's are playing over their head.

It's either pay the piper a 2nd rounder for an AHL riser or get taken to the cleaners in a trade for an established NHL backup that is coming up for UFA in the off-season. Then it's on to UFA where we will lose to other teams because we are not a destination..........unless we overpay by 50% on salary/term.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::naughty:
An older guy (turns 28 before this season is over) that got demoted because he wasn't good enough, isn't worth a 2nd round pick. As far as his stats go, isn't he expected to dominate as a fringe NHLer? Halak is a good example from last year; awful numbers with the Isles, got waived and sent down, went on to put up good numbers with their farm team. Did that suddenly bump Halak's value up? No. Hutchinson at this point of his career, is what he is, a fringe NHL backup. You know what a fringe NHL backup returned a couple months ago? NJ got a 5th round pick and Vegas got a meh prospect & a 6th rounder. Not to mention that the Jets are as much of a budget as the Panthers are, having a 1.5M extra goalie in the minors isn't that great in that case.

There really isn't a market for goalies that would be worth a 2nd round pick. Some teams probably have prospects like that (one could argue that Monty is one), but why the hell would any team give up a goalie like that in a swap for picks? For goalies you're either proven & worth the moon (1st rounder+) or unproven & virtually worth nothing (meh prospects and low picks). Hutchinson right now is unproven at the NHL level.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^Obviously history shows that there isn't a goalie in the AHL that is worth anything more than a 5th or 6th rounder. I guess the Pens got lucky with Murray.

So where does that leave the Cats? Well looking at what's available...............no where this season since anyone that is in contention will want to hold on to their backup in case of injury. The TDL will offer up a few odd ball losers at the end of February with what......20 something games remaining? Then there's the usual suspects on the waiver wire.

Yup, Dale will likely take a flyer on a decent AHL'r before then for what you say will be a 5th or 6th rounder. Maybe former 1st rounder Malcolm Subban will only take a 4th or 5th. In any case I would bet we get involved in UFA at the end of the season and way over pay for our next back up. If Lu is done and decides to retire, the franchise better hope they find a genie in a bottle to grant them 3 wishes. :)

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Garret Sparks just left Marlies game, will not return. Unclear if it's injury related but don't believe so

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
NBCSN posted Hutcheson in Winnipeg could be a option for the current Goalie Situation. He plays AHL for Winnipeg and his contract runs out this Season. If we dont need him could place him in the AHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Tallon should also consider Mrazek. The guy just needs outta Detroit. Pretty confident he'd do well. He's way better than Korpisalo, Sparks and Hutchinson for sure.
Saros would be epic but I don't think Nashville is looking to trade him.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Tallon should also consider Mrazek. The guy just needs outta Detroit. Pretty confident he'd do well. He's way better than Korpisalo, Sparks and Hutchinson for sure.
Saros would be epic but I don't think Nashville is looking to trade him.

Hands off Mrazek he is on a 2 years down Stream, since the Time he doesnt make the Team in Detroit and had a few bad Games. His overall Game pretty sucks.
He was a great talent 2-3 ago, what he showed earlier looked promising, the result is bad.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Hands off Mrazek he is on a 2 years down Stream, since the Time he doesnt make the Team in Detroit and had a few bad Games. His overall Game pretty sucks.
He was a great talent 2-3 ago, what he showed earlier looked promising, the result is bad.
For me, it would depend on what Detroit would want for him. Blashill clearly doesn't like him, Detroit's D is crap - early on Howard posted some Vezina-like performances but he's since come down to earth and it shows at their results. It's possible all Mrazek needs is a change of scenery to get back on track. He's signed for 4 mill until the end of the season, then he's RFA, so at least if it doesn't work out, it's just for one season. I wouldn't give up any significant assets for him though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
For me, it would depend on what Detroit would want for him. Blashill clearly doesn't like him, Detroit's D is crap - early on Howard posted some Vezina-like performances but he's since come down to earth and it shows at their results. It's possible all Mrazek needs is a change of scenery to get back on track. He's signed for 4 mill until the end of the season, then he's RFA, so at least if it doesn't work out, it's just for one season. I wouldn't give up any significant assets for him though.

Don't think Detroit would want much. Detroit might even retain salary or take Petrovic in return.
They haven't even protected him for the expansion draft. For them, Howard is still a number 1. I don't even know why they gave Mrazek that deal. Blashill and Salajko really don't like Mrazek. I don't know what happened since they loved him back with Grand Rapids but there's this falling out in practice with Mrazek refusing to take extra shots so it must be something personal. Mrazek never officially said that he wants out but he apparently hinted something like that when talking with Czech newspapers. After all, I think the Redwings shouldn't have let go Jim Bedard. Detroit's goalies were much better under him.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

Now i give you a Question we are more or less 8-10 Points out of the PO, you really want to trade after a Back up Goalie who make 4 Mio,
With already have a Back Up Goalie who makes 3,4 Mio.
So it makes no sense to go after him, beside him and Reimer are no big difference. Our real Goal must be a next starter Goalie.
For the current Situation, a Goalie with lower cap is the best option, If lou is longer out.

Interisting as i saw in Capfriendly Lou is no longer places on IR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad