Speculation: Florida about to acquire a goalie

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Swiped off the main boards but I was watching the intermission too

Chris Johnston said that with Luuu out a couple months , Florida is looking for another goalie because James Reimer has been inconsistent and Sateri is a huge ???. Johnston made mention of the names Curtis McElhinney, Garret Sparks and Michael Hutchinson (The latter two whom have been excellent in the AHL). He also said he expected it to happen fairly soon.

I think with Toronto acquiring Pickard, they make the most sense, probably want to clear the log jam. McBackup strikes me as a player Tallon would love.

Now is this thread worthy? Maybe not but it might be the only player we get via trade this season (Petro, Vrbata and Sceviour will probably bring in picks) so enjoy :laugh:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Since Petro was released from the backyard, the worse D-man by far has been Pysyk.

Doubt he gets moved though because of his PK time..but honestly, he hasn't been good doing that either.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Would like to get Hutchinson, price dependent of course.

Edit: Didn''t realize his good season in the NHL was back in 14/15. Thought it was the 15-16 season.

Hmm, a good year followed by two stinkers. Not sure what to make of that or if he was the reason for that.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Hammond or Hutchinson are the most likely options IMO. Both are free agents after this season, both could use an opportunity with a new team and the price should be low.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Aaron Dell from SJ please and thank you. Cheap UFA that would want to come here to get more playing time since Jones is the main guy in the bay area.

Offer up a 3rd or 4th round pick.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
2 months isn’t long enough IMO to make a deal. It’s not going to result in playoffs, so why waste assets. Now if we could trade Riemer for another, then I’m down.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Aaron Dell from SJ please and thank you. Cheap UFA that would want to come here to get more playing time since Jones is the main guy in the bay area.

Only issue is the Sharks are vying for the playoffs and I'm not sure they want to give up a good backup for a mid round pick. One injury to Jones and the wheels come off.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Just ride with our guys. They'll average about 3GAA rest of the season. Season is over anyways

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think Hamburgular is making too much $$$ for Florida, Murray rewarded him for that ridiculous run.
Eh, 1.5M is around what a regular NHL backup makes. Some of that money (25%-ish?) is already paid too.

I know our owners are cheap, but a couple hundred grand cheap? Idk.

Winnipeg is in town, so might as well make a deal for Hutch.
Hutch is with their AHL team.

2 months isn’t long enough IMO to make a deal. It’s not going to result in playoffs, so why waste assets. Now if we could trade Riemer for another, then I’m down.
Something like a 5th round pick isn't really assets though. These goalies playing in the AHL aren't exactly hot commodity and the teams might just want to get rid of the salary over waiting to get the max return.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Only issue is the Sharks are vying for the playoffs and I'm not sure they want to give up a good backup for a mid round pick. One injury to Jones and the wheels come off.
Yup, he stays put even if they don't get anything for him. :)

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

wait till the offseason. then absolutely pick him up, ship reimer out assuming luongo doesnt retire. lets see if he can handle being a starter. him and grubeaur are the two backups im interested in as potential future starters.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Ya that's a snag for sure. Might be best to just ride this out for a couple games and see what the team can do. If we are 6-7 games under .500 come Christmas, we should sell the UFA guys and audition some of the rookies. I doubt a backup is the cure to our woes. Although the defense has been noticeably better. Secondary scoring, goaltending and PP are the problems now.

wait till the offseason. then absolutely pick him up, ship reimer out assuming luongo doesnt retire. lets see if he can handle being a starter. him and grubeaur are the two backups im interested in as potential future starters.

Ya that works too but we'd probably have to retain on Reimer and that sucks having him and Demers in dead money for the next 3-4 years.
If Lu is done, we can sign a UFA to challenge Reimer, who I still believe in being a good 1B, capable of 35-40 games. Grubauer would be a solid 1A if he can take another level, which requires more time. Something we could provide with
the LTIR of Lu.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
First back-to-back is next week, Monday & Tuesday. So unless they're going to give Säteri a chance first, a trade is probably going to happen during the weekend.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014

So McKenzie thinks Reimer is history as the Cats will look for somebody younger with NHL experience to be Lu's backup. Well if it's Hutchinson it will cost us at least our 2nd round pick which is looking more and more to be #32 overall. Then we have to move Reimer which will cost us at least $1.M + a prospect or draft pick.

Dale's out beating the Bush's (hopefully the one that like's to grab some tush). :laugh:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Eh, 1.5M is around what a regular NHL backup makes. Some of that money (25%-ish?) is already paid too.

I know our owners are cheap, but a couple hundred grand cheap? Idk.

Hutch is with their AHL team.

Something like a 5th round pick isn't really assets though. These goalies playing in the AHL aren't exactly hot commodity and the teams might just want to get rid of the salary over waiting to get the max return.

I’m aware, I just meant it would be a good opportunity to connect with them about him.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I’m aware, I just meant it would be a good opportunity to connect with them about him.
Since Bobo mentioned him, it was likely part of the conversation to just get a feel. The guy does have 99 NHL games under his belt with a .910 save %. Not bad but not great as he is entering his prime at 27 and to me that's when these goalies drafted from the 3rd round on can be valuable for two or three years. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad