Flint Firebirds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Looks like Max Anderson & Mason Taylor are with Leamington in the OJHL. Patrick Sutherland listed there as well, but hasn't played in any games.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Looks like Max Anderson & Mason Taylor are with Leamington in the OJHL. Patrick Sutherland listed there as well, but hasn't played in any games.
I liked Anderson’s small sample size. I could see him earning a regular roster spot. Taylor and Sutherland looked good too but the positions they play limit their opportunities right now.

Better. Too bad the powerplay has been an absolute dumpster fire.

Hopefully with Gav and Kressler back now, get some practices in and get the first W this weekend.
Still trending upward and it’s still the vets struggling to produce numbers. 0g 1a over the first 4 games between Giroux, Hayes, Coulson and Dann? That will change and needs to change quickly.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I liked Anderson’s small sample size. I could see him earning a regular roster spot. Taylor and Sutherland looked good too but the positions they play limit their opportunities right now.

Still trending upward and it’s still the vets struggling to produce numbers. 0g 1a over the first 4 games between Giroux, Hayes, Coulson and Dann? That will change and needs to change quickly.
Giroux, Hayes, Coulson and Dann a combined 7 points tonight and imagine that, a win.

Congrats to coach Flache and Jacob Brown on their first career W's.

Played a great 1st and 3rd.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I think the biggest positive is they didn't fold up when Sarnia got back into the game. That's a really good sign. Coach seems to be getting them sorted.

Reactions: Hockytwn51419

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I think the biggest positive is they didn't fold up when Sarnia got back into the game. That's a really good sign. Coach seems to be getting them sorted.
Oh Absolutely. Up 3-0, then down 4-3, and they finally got some pressure in the 2nd and got a nice bounce for Dann to pick it up for the wrap around.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I was just going with the 4 Savard yelled at in his post. 🤣😂

But absolutely about time some of the vets showed up.
Still slowly trending in the right direction. A better game from mostly everybody. Good to see Hayes and Kressler get on the score sheet but it was an EN against a team that is super young after going all-in last year. I’m not complaining though. That’s often all you need to get going. Hoping to see them be competitive against a strong Guelph squad tonight. The October schedule is a pretty tough one. Any and all points earned will be welcome and hard fought.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Tough way to lose but I can handle them playing like that all day right now. That’s a solid Guelph squad. Their big guns just gotta start finishing. Day is finding his form again, the D as individuals, as a D core and as a team is light years better already. Strohack, Fellinger, Jenken all had a good night. Major issues A and B look to be mostly fixed. Nope it’s just up to the big guns/vets (Hayes, C. Pitre, Kressler, Giroux, Dann) to start producing offense. Lombardi (you see that J. on the back of his jersey? He keeps that and I’m calling him J. Lo) looked good again. Samenas looked better tonight. Jeremy Martin impresses me EVERY game. His first 6 games in the league has easily looked as good as Dellandrea’s or Othmann’s or Keppen’s. He’s the real deal. You can see it already. It’s coming together. They’re young and improving every game. That’s what this year is about. They play like that? That’s an acceptable loss against a team like Guelph.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Agree with you Savard. Really wish Martin would latest play with that 3rd line. Felt like he didn't get a ton of shifts last night.

This team really needs to get some help from the D. 3 assist in 6 games from the D. Wanted to harp on Bertucci a bit, don't think he's been nearly as aggressive on the offensive end, but after the pregame ceremony yesterday, understand that life is much bigger than the game. Hope his mom has a good prognosis. Tough situation for a teenager to be in away from home.

Hockeypolice

Feb 25, 2020
Realistically, only Bertucci and Stojkov are aggressive on the offensive end. I believe, our team biggest problem is D-zone coverage. If new coach finds a way to to get some improvement in that department, birds will be able to play competitive game soon enough.

Reactions: MJ5 and Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Realistically, only Bertucci and Stojkov are aggressive on the offensive end. I believe, our team biggest problem is D-zone coverage. If new coach finds a way to to get some improvement in that department, birds will be able to play competitive game soon enough.
….and Stojkov is only ok in that regard. He is better overall than he’s shown this year though. I think there’s a little more offensive skill in Jenken yet to be developed and you can see that skillset in Fellinger too. I would imagine the coaching staff is telling 16yo Fellinger to focus on taking care of his own end first with smart positioning, safe outlet passes etc. It’s in him though. Watch when he grabs the puck behind the net. He’s confident and makes the smart first pass. Sure he’s gonna make mistakes because he’s young but he looks good. I like the young D on this team but there’s a lot of them and you gotta be patient with youth on the backend.

Reactions: Toldyaso and MJ5

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I don't disagree with what you are saying at all, but you have to get some kind of production from the D, outlet passes, something, even if its a secondary assist. Secondary Syd has lived off of them.

I went through all 20 teams, searched points by D for each one. Was really curious how Flint ranked vs the league.

The top
Soo 30 points (9 goals)
Kitch 26 points (7 goals)

The bottom
Niagara 7 points (2 goals)
Flint 5 points - the only team without a goal from a defensive player.

Hockeypolice

Feb 25, 2020
Flint scored 15 goals in total so far, and I believe we are dead last offensively. Your D can't produce if your F can't finish.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I think you’re both right. The last two games they were much better in their own end and Day and Brown looked decent. They were getting slightly more grade A chances too. So the biggest issues look much better. I want to see that stay consistent first and foremost.

CTrain10

Mar 23, 2023
The worst powerplay in the league Vs the 2nd worst tomorrow night! Very exciting game

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
What's the deal with Gavin Hayes? On the move this season?

Could see him wanting to play in SSM with his brother for a little run.
How many times are Soo fans going to come over here and post this?

Better yet how many times are you going to come over here and post this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad