Flint Firebirds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Punnett or Mayer probably won't be available until the deadline but Cam Gauvreau from the Petes would be a cheaper addition who would be a settling presence for Flint. He also played in Saginaw so he is familiar with Michigan and the Western conference. His experiences an OHL champion would prove valuable IMO.
Tough choice between Gauvreau and Kavanaugh. Both can play in the league and be had for an 8th if not willing to take the chance of reaching your team on waivers.

Hockeypolice

Feb 25, 2020
Tough night. I kinda expected this, but man...that was hard to watch. Ted has a "mission impossible" to make this team play some better hockey. Do something quickly, or this season will be over before Christmas.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Tough night. I kinda expected this, but man...that was hard to watch. Ted has a "mission impossible" to make this team play some better hockey. Do something quickly, or this season will be over before Christmas.
Yeah no one here was expecting us to be good. But I really don't think we are this bad either.

C. Pitre and Hayes make a huge difference. I think with those 2, you can keep some puck pressure going and it gives you 2 lines that are dangerous, maybe 3 when the right pieces are playing together. Right now there was nothing offensively that worked, and you had 3 thin lines, taking low percentage shots. There were very few prime chances. When you can't maintain any offensive pressure, your D is on its heels all night.

Solid 1st period last night, but they seemed to just run out of gas as the game went on.

Deff need another veteran D added. Jenken isn't top 4 minutes worthy right now, still has heavy feet.

Reactions: Hockytwn51419

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Yeah no one here was expecting us to be good. But I really don't think we are this bad either.

C. Pitre and Hayes make a huge difference. I think with those 2, you can keep some puck pressure going and it gives you 2 lines that are dangerous, maybe 3 when the right pieces are playing together. Right now there was nothing offensively that worked, and you had 3 thin lines, taking low percentage shots. There were very few prime chances. When you can't maintain any offensive pressure, your D is on its heels all night.

Solid 1st period last night, but they seemed to just run out of gas as the game went on.

Deff need another veteran D added. Jenken isn't top 4 minutes worthy right now, still has heavy feet.
Pitre and Hayes may become good trade pieces to build for the future for the Firebirds, Hounds may be looking to bring the Hayes brothers together :)

Reactions: LDN

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Time to hit reset tonight. Not overly concerned. There were a ton of crazy scores last night no one would have expected. It won’t be easy minus Giroux. Just an absolute stupid way to start out as Captain. They need a veteran D. It’s been my concern for awhile. There isn’t many OA’s left out there. Go get Punnet or Mayer. Just to stabilize the back end. If Kressler comes back, you know who you can drop or which one you could actually trade. It’s a rebuild year but I think the D needs a veteran addition.
I doubt neither Connor Punnett or Sam Mayer will be traded as Punnett has just been named as captain of the Barrie Colts and Mayer is wearing an A and is an important member of the Petes defence. The Petes are likely going to trade Cam Gauvreau to get down to three overages.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I doubt neither Connor Punnett or Sam Mayer will be traded as Punnett has just been named as captain of the Barrie Colts and Mayer is wearing an A and is an important member of the Petes defence. The Petes are likely going to trade Cam Gauvreau to get down to three overages.
Guys with letters get traded all the time.

Reactions: ZinErie and MJ5

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Guys with letters get traded all the time.
Not shortly after they are named captain or an alternate captain. Yes they are traded but usually it is at the deadline. Sam Mayer is likely staying with the Petes. Many fans have decided that the Petes will be selling off all their veteran players but they have not decided on the direction they are going to take. They are waiting to see what kind of team they have and at this moment they are expecting to be competitive this year. Both the coach Rob Wilson and general manager Mike Oke have stated that in local media interviews. I have expect other than trading an excess overage player (which will likely be Cam Gauvreau) I doubt the Petes will be selling any of their big name players until December at the earliest. I think they will do a small rebuild by trading Owen Beck and maybe Konnor Smith and will keep Connor Lockhart, Jax Dubois, Sam Mayer and their other veteran players. This will allow them to remain competitive and rebuild their draft pick cupboard and add a couple of young players.

Last edited:

Hockeypolice

Feb 25, 2020
Kocha Delic would be great addition to our squad. What do we need to do to make this possible?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Kocha Delic would be great addition to our squad. What do we need to do to make this possible?
If we were 1 player away from being good, Sure. We aren't tho.

If we go out to add a forward it would be an 05.

I just want a stay at home d-man to join the top 2 D pairings.

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
If we were 1 player away from being good, Sure. We aren't tho.

If we go out to add a forward it would be an 05.

I just want a stay at home d-man to join the top 2 D pairings.
I think Cam Gauvreau would be a good fit for the Firebirds

Hockeypolice

Feb 25, 2020
We just gave up 19 goals in 2 games and you want to get rid of 2 of our top 3 Dmen?

😂😂😂😂

That is absolutely not doable and doesn't help this team in any way, shape or form.
You're absolutely right, but if we land OA d-man, we can risk a bit, and offer a. good trading material in order to get more power upfront.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well IF Kressler doesn’t come back, Gauvreau is the perfect stay at home d man
For the Petes, he’s the perfect stay at home D. His presence makes it easier to trade Mayer.
It would be poor use of a mid to late pick and player card for the Firebirds imo. They need a 2-3 D or high upside D for the near future.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just because TB is 05. Than, we can give Stoykov. He is 04.
Because Delic is a really good player (that wolves need this season), while Bertucci will be an all-star.
If the wolves and firebirds deal it might look like Hayes and Giroux for Villenueve or Taylor and MaCallum and picks

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
For the Petes, he’s the perfect stay at home D. His presence makes it easier to trade Mayer.
It would be poor use of a mid to late pick and player card for the Firebirds imo. They need a 2-3 D or high upside D for the near future.
The Petes do not need a stay at home defenceman. They already have two with Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith. They need Sam Mayer because he is a great puck mover and need his presence on the power play. The only way I could see the Petes trading him at this point is if they got an offer similar to what they received for Michael Simpson which would include a player likely a defenceman and 3rd round draft pick. Otherwise if they trade him
it will be at the deadline maybe with another overage similar to what they did with Hamilton last year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The Petes do not need a stay at home defenceman. They already have two with Donovan McCoy and Konnor Smith. They need Sam Mayer because he is a great puck mover and need his presence on the power play. The only way I could see the Petes trading him at this point is if they got an offer similar to what they received for Michael Simpson which would include a player likely a defenceman and 3rd round draft pick. Otherwise if they trade him
it will be at the deadline maybe with another overage similar to what they did with Hamilton last year.
The Colts & Petes must be either trying to find Kavanaugh & Gauvreau a place to play in the OHL (can waive them) or at some point plan to accept the right offer for one of their higher end OAs

Section5Petes seems certain the OAs are set, and that Gauvreau will be traded. I think that if that were the case and there was real interest in Gauvreau, the Petes would have saved themselves a player card and traded Gauvreau already.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Pitre and Hayes are the power upfront. Just need them both back AND add a stay at home d-man to the top 4.
It’s so difficult on here sometimes. I mean it just blows my mind. You’re dead on about Hayes and Pitre helping with puck possession. I’m fine with a cheap addition of Gavreau. Just one vet back there to help settle things down. They’re gonna wreck Day and Jacobs if they’re constantly under that pressure. Get Gavreau. If Kressler comes back, just release Dann. I mean seriously. What does he do? It’s not score goals apparently. He doesn’t hit. Kill penalties. He’s not a puck distributor. He doesn’t go to the dirty areas to score goals. He gets top line minutes and plays just die on his stick. If they had an elite puck distributor to center him? Maybe he’d find the back of the net with regularity. If they waive him I bet 19 teams pass on him. He’s not OA material and that was the biggest waste of assets in this team’s history. Sorry kid. PLEASE shove my words down my throat cause I know you’re a decent guy but you’re a ghost out there almost every night. Stabilize the team and get as many W’s as possible before you move pieces at the deadline. Some of the kids look really good. Settle things down and develop them. I know Dent as a GM was a mess. Now I’m questioning him as a coach too. I’ll get into that and why releasing Pitters was a mistake later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad