Flint Firebirds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
i'd take him back here in a second. to be fair, we draft kids that will specifically fit in the Hounds system. maybe theirs is just too different and he needs some time to adjust.
That’s a total cop-out. There’s nothing about Kostov that’s been impressive at all. It appears there’s a reason he didn’t even make the most recent Central Scouting list of NA skaters which has 224 kids on it.

Reactions: MJ5

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
YOU know what the problem is in Flint.

Who had the final say in HIRING McParlan?

How many more YEARs are YOU going to continue to SUPPORT what is going on in Flint?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
That’s a total cop-out. There’s nothing about Kostov that’s been impressive at all. It appears there’s a reason he didn’t even make the most recent Central Scouting list of NA skaters which has 224 kids on it.
Soo fans legitimately were sad to see him go. Read our board in the lead up to the trade deadline and many fans expressed their wishes to see someone else get traded in favour of keeping him.

Granted, his utility to the Greyhounds was more about his defensive prowess on a checking line and the pk, but you can't ignore him being nearly 1/2 point per game with the Hounds this season playing in the bottom 6.

Obviously Flint brass liked the player, as Clattenburg can never be considered to be the big chip going to Flint in that exchange. But I can't imagine anyone expected him to walk and and start scoring at over a point a game this year or anything close to that. So if everyone liked the player in the Soo, and nobody likes the player in Flint, then what does that point to?

Kid went through change of city, change of country, change of school, change of billets, change of team, change of system, change of linemates. Yes, lots of players get traded and have to make these adjustments, but it's different for everyone. Maybe it's harder for him to adjust?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Soo fans legitimately were sad to see him go. Read our board in the lead up to the trade deadline and many fans expressed their wishes to see someone else get traded in favour of keeping him.

Granted, his utility to the Greyhounds was more about his defensive prowess on a checking line and the pk, but you can't ignore him being nearly 1/2 point per game with the Hounds this season playing in the bottom 6.

Obviously Flint brass liked the player, as Clattenburg can never be considered to be the big chip going to Flint in that exchange. But I can't imagine anyone expected him to walk and and start scoring at over a point a game this year or anything close to that. So if everyone liked the player in the Soo, and nobody likes the player in Flint, then what does that point to?

Kid went through change of city, change of country, change of school, change of billets, change of team, change of system, change of linemates. Yes, lots of players get traded and have to make these adjustments, but it's different for everyone. Maybe it's harder for him to adjust?
No, I get you for sure. The cop-out comment was more in reference to the “famed” Soo system, which is only famous in the Soo. That’s the same system that drafted Landon Hookey and BMB because they’re both the same type of player I guess. Clattenburg has been good despite it maybe not showing in his stats much. I thought Kostov looked ok for the Greyhounds but I didn’t really focus on him much. Here? Non-existent so far. He’s played his way down to the 4th line and at this point I’d almost rather see B card call up Max Anderson. Alex looks slow and unmotivated. No finish, no high level puck distribution skills. He’s ok along the boards but nothing above average. I think even Soo fans realize he’s not the greatest skater. His decision making with and away from the puck have been nothing special. If he was shutting guys down and being a PK nightmare, I wouldn’t worry about the offense much but he’s not even seeing much PK time at this point. That Central Scouting list is based off his play in the Soo. I doubt they saw him more than once, if that before releasing those rankings. He’s the key return piece in the Hayes deal so I really do hope he finds his groove here and becomes a key top 6 forward over the next 2-3 years but that hope is dwindling fast. If he can’t find a way to play up THIS roster there’s an issue.

How many more YEARs are YOU going to continue to SUPPORT what is going on in Flint?
I’m guessing as long as some people stay bitter and refuse to see a therapist?

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
No, I get you for sure. The cop-out comment was more in reference to the “famed” Soo system, which is only famous in the Soo. That’s the same system that drafted Landon Hookey and BMB because they’re both the same type of player I guess. Clattenburg has been good despite it maybe not showing in his stats much. I thought Kostov looked ok for the Greyhounds but I didn’t really focus on him much. Here? Non-existent so far. He’s played his way down to the 4th line and at this point I’d almost rather see B card call up Max Anderson. Alex looks slow and unmotivated. No finish, no high level puck distribution skills. He’s ok along the boards but nothing above average. I think even Soo fans realize he’s not the greatest skater. His decision making with and away from the puck have been nothing special. If he was shutting guys down and being a PK nightmare, I wouldn’t worry about the offense much but he’s not even seeing much PK time at this point. That Central Scouting list is based off his play in the Soo. I doubt they saw him more than once, if that before releasing those rankings. He’s the key return piece in the Hayes deal so I really do hope he finds his groove here and becomes a key top 6 forward over the next 2-3 years but that hope is dwindling fast. If he can’t find a way to play up THIS roster there’s an issue.

I’m guessing as long as some people stay bitter and refuse to see a therapist?
Call it what you want, but nobody said it was a "famed" soo system except you. But it's true, we draft certain types of kids that do well within the system the hounds play.

Pops makes good points. That's a lot of change for a 17 year old. And I stand by my statement that I'd take him back in a second. He was doing well here, we were all excited for his future and sad to see him go.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
From early in the season until shortly before the trade deadline, fellow poster dirty12 and I were debating about whether Flint should buy this year and take a run or wait until next year to go for it. I was a proponent of selling this year and taking a run with next year’s group. dirty12 argued that this year’s group was the one they should try to build around. It’s now clearly obvious that dirty was wrong. As I watch this roster play lately it’s becoming clear that I’m probably gonna be wrong also.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
From early in the season until shortly before the trade deadline, fellow poster dirty12 and I were debating about whether Flint should buy this year and take a run or wait until next year to go for it. I was a proponent of selling this year and taking a run with next year’s group. dirty12 argued that this year’s group was the one they should try to build around. It’s now clearly obvious that dirty was wrong. As I watch this roster play lately it’s becoming clear that I’m probably gonna be wrong also.
Theoretically you’ll have enough picks to trade your way out of being bad if that’s the route management chooses to go.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Flint may have just made it more difficult for themselves to recruit near future high picks .
I still think (if the firebirds could have pulled it off) that acquiring a couple of multi-year D like McCoy & VanVliet or Leblanc-Leblanc & Ride was the way to go.

uDunnoNEthing

Jul 30, 2019

Until I die or they move the team.

I love Flint and will support anything Flint has to offer.

That ECHL team you mentioned years ago is doing really well here too.

Reactions: Savard18

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Ok. I’m over Kostov for sure. That was dumb, unnecessary and negated an odd-man rush. He’ll likely be gone for a couple games. He already had a couple turnovers tonight too.

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Until I die or they move the team.

I love Flint and will support anything Flint has to offer.

That ECHL team you mentioned years ago is doing really well here too.
She will never get the fact that Rolf will sell the franchise at some point. We can support them and they’ll stay after the sale or you can be petty and foolish and they’ll sell and be moved.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Kostov finally on the score sheet!

With a 5 minute major and a game misconduct!
He got in a fight last game too. Maybe he’s embracing his role as a 4th liner before he plays his way onto the 5th line. Man, I wanna see the kid get rolling and start making plays but there is nothing….nothing about his game right now that gives me hope.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Really impressive to see Punnett throw the big hit on 16yo Lombardi. Even more impressive to see 6’7 19yo Roobroeke sucker punch him.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Really impressive to see Punnett throw the big hit on 16yo Lombardi. Even more impressive to see 6’7 19yo Roobroeke sucker punch him.
Do think if the Dort burned to the ground and we played all of our remaining games on the road they would give us discounts on tickets in the road arenas?

Hockeypolice

Feb 25, 2020
He got in a fight last game too. Maybe he’s embracing his role as a 4th liner before he plays his way onto the 5th line. Man, I wanna see the kid get rolling and start making plays but there is nothing….nothing about his game right now that gives me hope.
Stop talking nonsense will'ya? Nobody cares for your analysis and opinions. Even better, apply for G.M. position, they need someone with your credentials.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Stop talking nonsense will'ya? Nobody cares for your analysis and opinions. Even better, apply for G.M. position, they need someone with your credentials.
Completely honest question for you. What has Kostov shown you that excites you about him?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Welcome to gens hockey. When you do it back they don’t fight and players get suspensions for being the “aggressor”

Hockeypolice

Feb 25, 2020
Completely honest question for you. What has Kostov shown you that excites you about him?
That's not the point. Urge for badmouthing players from your "favorite" team exceeds normal conversation and criticism.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Savard18 knows all answers for any questions you may have. And He is available 24/7.
I know Savard, he's got a good eye for talent, effort, and decision making. Talk to him frequently, I'd say we probably agree 80% of the time, the other 20% we don't take is personally and we have a discussion about it.

My question was to YOU, asking you what excites you about Kostov?

Nolan Dann shooting the puck off of him for his first goal, doesn't really move the needle for me.
Getting away with a CLEAR hold/hook/grab/headlock, to pick up a loose puck for an empty netter, also doesn't do anything for me. Outside of the OHL Officials being an absolute joke, not sure how that wasn't called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad