Flint Firebirds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
will be watching from the Soo tonight, part of me hopes that Clatty gets into a tilt to endear himself to the Flint faithful, but that'd be his 3rd of the year so maybe want to save it till he needs it haha.

good luck tonight Firebirds!
Well he didn't drop em last night but definitely got up in the grill of some of the OS players whenever they a little rough with any of his new team mates. I like what i see so far.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I was surprised to see Clattenburg get more ice time than Kostov and definetly had more of an impact on the game. They’ll certainly be better than they were through December and the first week of 2024. Slavicek looked great upon his return. Few Firebirds have taken as big a step forward as he has this year. Peer is what we knew Peer was and it wasnt shocking. I just hate the price for a 30 game rental in a rebuild season. Makes no sense. I’ll take Peer over Giroux any day though. Mancini had a huge error letting a forward get behind him and put the puck in the net but other than that he was we what know and expected. He’s as familiar with the arena as anybody in the league thats never been a Firebird. He’s going to have a huge impact on the D core and the goalies confidence. I hate spending big assets on OA’s this year and trading away Strohack but I fully expect them to be more fun to watch at home than they have been.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
I was surprised to see Clattenburg get more ice time than Kostov and definetly had more of an impact on the game. They’ll certainly be better than they were through December and the first week of 2024. Slavicek looked great upon his return. Few Firebirds have taken as big a step forward as he has this year. Peer is what we knew Peer was and it wasnt shocking. I just hate the price for a 30 game rental in a rebuild season. Makes no sense. I’ll take Peer over Giroux any day though. Mancini had a huge error letting a forward get behind him and put the puck in the net but other than that he was we what know and expected. He’s as familiar with the arena as anybody in the league thats never been a Firebird. He’s going to have a huge impact on the D core and the goalies confidence. I hate spending big assets on OA’s this year and trading away Strohack but I fully expect them to be more fun to watch at home than they have been.
Since you’ve seen him for four years, Give us a scouting report on Giroux

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Since you’ve seen him for four years, Give us a scouting report on Giroux
Fast. Yaps a lot. He’s not a high level puck distributor, doesn’t have an elite shot or pro level moves but does all those things fairly well. Enough to produce at the OHL level. Same thing with skating. Good edges and first step but you’re not gonna confuse him McDavid. Is generally solid defensively and along the boards but size limits him. When he’s motivated (which until recently was most nights) he’s a super high motor player. He does everything well, nothing elite and there’s little to complain about his game other than size limitations. Can play wing or C. He’ll take ill-advised penalties occasionally but will draw way more. Starts a lot of crap. Will occasionally back it up. Loves to light it up in North Bay and Sudbury in front of fans and family and I hope that continues.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Central Scouting mid-terms are out. Kaden and 119 and the Aspinator at 126. Jenken fell off the list for this ranking and Kostov currently not ranked. No Strohack or Reed Gee. Wouldn’t be stunned to see Strohack or Kostov make the later rankings though.

Reactions: Hockytwn51419

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Fast. Yaps a lot. He’s not a high level puck distributor, doesn’t have an elite shot or pro level moves but does all those things fairly well. Enough to produce at the OHL level. Same thing with skating. Good edges and first step but you’re not gonna confuse him McDavid. Is generally solid defensively and along the boards but size limits him. When he’s motivated (which until recently was most nights) he’s a super high motor player. He does everything well, nothing elite and there’s little to complain about his game other than size limitations. Can play wing or C. He’ll take ill-advised penalties occasionally but will draw way more. Starts a lot of crap. Will occasionally back it up. Loves to light it up in North Bay and Sudbury in front of fans and family and I hope that continues.
I should point out he’s ok at the dots but won’t be taking all your critical face-offs. About 47% lately I believe. He’s good but not great at killing penalties but is great at creating shorthanded opportunities. I’d imagine he gets put on the kill a bit and I’d put money on him finding the back of the net shorthanded with the teammates he now has.

Reactions: MJ5 and Toldyaso

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
He does everything well, nothing elite and there’s little to complain about his game other than size limitations. Can play wing or C. He’ll take ill-advised penalties occasionally but will draw way more. Starts a lot of crap. Will occasionally back it up.
This is pretty much exactly what I think. Above Average to good at almost everything. I think he plays bigger than his size, because he's not afraid to throw a hit or start shit.

Tons of heart and grit.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
This is pretty much exactly what I think. Above Average to good at almost everything. I think he plays bigger than his size, because he's not afraid to throw a hit or start shit.

Tons of heart and grit.
Yup that's him to a T.

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I should point out he’s ok at the dots but won’t be taking all your critical face-offs. About 47% lately I believe. He’s good but not great at killing penalties but is great at creating shorthanded opportunities. I’d imagine he gets put on the kill a bit and I’d put money on him finding the back of the net shorthanded with the teammates he now has.
Told ya. Pay up.

Kressler and Hayes both on the scoresheet tonight too.

Reactions: Toldyaso

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Holy smokes does the Erie feed suck.

Thought it might be the internet with this weather, but checked the other OHL games and they were fine. Rebooted the FireStick, still sucks. Turned it on the phone and its still super jerky.

Don't think I'm going to survive watching this one.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
Holy smokes does the Erie feed suck.

Thought it might be the internet with this weather, but checked the other OHL games and they were fine. Rebooted the FireStick, still sucks. Turned it on the phone and its still super jerky.

Don't think I'm going to survive watching this one.
It isn't the feed itself. The camera has its frame rate limit set to low. It is way to consistent to be the feed. I sometimes work with video surveillance systems and that looks exactly like a camera that has its framerate limited to I would guess 15fps from the looks of it. We do that to save on storage space. Can't imagine why anyone would do it for something as fast paced as a hockey game stream. That is just stupid. I can't watch it it is making my head hurt.

FirebirdsFan21

Nov 25, 2017
Looking forward to next season:
We will be loosing the following OA's - Mancini, Peer, Dann. As for next years OA's we have the following: C. Pitre, Slavicek, Samenas, Smith and Stojkov. Depending on Pitre being signed and playing professionally, Only Smith would be an OA option for next year. Stojokov and Jenken should both be replaced. We have Taylor, d'arcy and Anderson as well signed along with Sutherland as another Goalie.

Both imports will probably be replaced as well so two new import picks as well.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
We will be loosing the following OA's - Mancini, Peer, Dann. As for next years OA's we have the following: C. Pitre, Slavicek, Samenas, Smith and Stojkov. Depending on Pitre being signed and playing professionally, Only Smith would be an OA option for next year. Stojokov and Jenken should both be replaced. We have Taylor, d'arcy and Anderson as well signed along with Sutherland as another Goalie.

I think there is a small chance Slavicek could be back, he has been pretty productive since his return from WJC. I would prefer to move on, and draft 2 guys with upside for 2+ seasons, but if you don't think you are getting 2 guys to report, he could return. You rarely see an IMP/OA, but Sobolev did it this year for Niagara/Brantford.

Smith I agree with you, he should be back as an OA.

Fully anticipate Coulson signing and playing professionally.

I really hope they move on from Stojkov, I feel like he's the same player that signed in Oct of 2022. He just hasn't progressed at all.

Reactions: Hockytwn51419

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Pretty much agree with that. They never should have drafted Samenas. If that’s the best you can do in the Import draft, either pull up a younger player to develop or leave that spot open so you can trade for an import. I have my doubts in their ability to draft and sign one import. It’s usually more about connections with teams and agents than just drafting. I could see Slavicek sticking around as the only other real OA candidate in my opinion is Smith. If they stick with Slavicek though, he will be here all year because an Import/OA is very difficult to move. On the positive side though, we know Simon will produce and plays well in all three zones. Ideally, I wish they would have not taken Samenas and really went after D Jakub Chromiak when Sudbury had him on the table.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
MODERATOR.......

Receiving the following message .......Fatal Security error occurred. Please exit out and report the incident to your provider.

Provider has been informed and are warning to avoid the application due to Broken Authentication

Agent 53

Sep 4, 2021
MODERATOR.......

Receiving the following message .......Fatal Security error occurred. Please exit out and report the incident to your provider.

Provider has been informed and are warning to avoid the application due to Broken Authentication
I’ve heard they only send that message to people who lie all the time.

Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad