Flint Firebirds 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I have little interest in going to see grown men who make less money than me watch their NHL dreams fade away.

This might be the, entitled sleaziest comment I’ve seen on this board and that’s really saying something. 400$ a week plus room, board and expenses to play hockey isn’t great but beats slaving away at an office or factory job.

Reactions: Houndzfan20

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
This might be the, entitled sleaziest comment I’ve seen on this board and that’s really saying something. 400$ a week plus room, board and expenses to play hockey isn’t great but beats slaving away at an office or factory job.
I’m surprised you were so shocked by the comment that it instantly made you illiterate and unable to read the very next sentence in the post.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Coulson with no points in his last 4 games. Kinda give him a little bit of a pass because one was returning from injury though. Peer with 1g 2a in his last six games. Big dogs gotta show up tonight if they’re gonna have any chance. They’ll need another big game from Day or Brown too.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
About as good of a 3 loss weekend as they could have had. Just gotta learn to finish. Individual plays and games. They got the goaltending. Both Day and Brown played well. They need a little more out of their big guns. Pitre, Dann and Slavicek. Most notably Oliver Peer though. Can’t be spending 6 picks on an OA in a rebuild season and if you do you sure as Hell better get more than 1g and 3pts in 7 games. It’s not like he’s played bad but he’s here to be one of the offensive leaders. Not go 1/10th of a season having 16yo Jimmy Lombardi put up double his points. Although, I really have enjoyed watching Lombardi start to come of age. We’ve been calling Jimmy Lombardi “Almost” for the last couple months in my section because you could see it coming. He’d ALMOST make the play. He’d ALMOST score. He’s already become SOMETIMES lately. Next year it’s gonna be MOSTLY and then he’s gonna be another bada$$ Lombardi in a Firebirds jersey. He’s developed fast lately with the increased icetime but that’s what you’re supposed to do in a rebuild. Get your youth icetime and let them develop. Lombardi, Ewles, Aspinall and to a lesser extent Martin and Fellinger among others have taken strides down the stretch.

Reactions: MJ5

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Was surprised to see Day get the start last night. Brown has played really well over the last few but it’d be a big ask to start him against London tonight. I expect a pretty strong turnout. I’d like to see Fellinger slot into the lineup too.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

There’s something you don’t see every day. A defenseman with Save Of The Night. For the most part, I thought all of the D played well last night. Mancini doubling his goal totals for the season against his former club was nice to see. Hell, I thought Stojkov had a great game. I’ll watch the replay just to be sure but I thought the call on the Misa hit was total BS. He was certainly more physically engaged last night.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

There’s something you don’t see every day. A defenseman with Save Of The Night. For the most part, I thought all of the D played well last night. Mancini doubling his goal totals for the season against his former club was nice to see. Hell, I thought Stojkov had a great game. I’ll watch the replay just to be sure but I thought the call on the Misa hit was total BS. He was certainly more physically engaged last night.
He's grown quite a bit from last year. So while his offensive numbers don't jump out this year, I think they're trying to get him to round out his game now that he's bigger.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
……and tonight all the D were bad except maybe Fellinger. Day and most of the forwards equally as rough. This should further reinforce to them they’re not talented enough to get by on just talent. Like most teams. Gotta work hard and make smarter decisions. Didn’t see Ewles for most of the game. Hopefully nothing serious. He’s really won me over after his initial few games in blue and orange. On to tomorrow. Kingston got beat down by Saginaw tonight too so they’ll be looking for redemption as they’re in a tight playoff race also.

Reactions: Toldyaso

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Lots of hustle tonight. Day has been impressive the few home games. That was a good one.

Hope the Fronts guy is ok.
Was shocked that they didn't give Kostov 5 on that hit.

Outside of being dirty, he's been pretty meh.

Day has been fantastic, minus last night.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Was shocked that they didn't give Kostov 5 on that hit.

Outside of being dirty, he's been pretty meh.

Day has been fantastic, minus last night.
That’s what I said immediately. “That's a 5, a game and a suspension.” I’ll be really curious to see if he still gets suspended. Day was terrible last night but other than that one bad game (which 18yo goalies have in this league) both goalies have been really solid lately. I have full faith in their goalies going into next year. I’m good with a 4pt week even if it got a little rough in the middle. OS and Erie go to OT but Guelph loses tonight.

Reactions: MJ5

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Anyone know how long Kaden Pitre is out?

After the ceremony pre-game yesterday and it looking like his arm was in a sling, I'd guess he's done for the year?

Last time I saw him in the arena (2 weeks ago?) he looked fine walking around, so guessing he had some kind of shoulder surgery recently?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Of course Erie and Owen Sound play each other back to back and both games go into OT.

Anyone know how long Kaden Pitre is out?

After the ceremony pre-game yesterday and it looking like his arm was in a sling, I'd guess he's done for the year?

Last time I saw him in the arena (2 weeks ago?) he looked fine walking around, so guessing he had some kind of shoulder surgery recently?
He’s gotta be done for the season. Sucks that it’s his draft year. I’m hoping Lombardi is able to return soon.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Id have no problem sending him there next year.
I like Clattenburg a lot for sure and being 17, I know Kostov will improve but man is the return for Gavin Hayes looking rough right now. Get with me next year and the year after on that, I hope we all feel different. I still like it a lot better than six picks for an Overager in Oliver Peer right now. He hasn’t been much better than Kostov for awhile now. As long as I’m nitpicking McParlan I wasn’t thrilled to see Strohack or Gee moved either. They moved those two plus D’Amato and Petrovski over the last two years so at least I’m confident in the scouts ability to identify D with potential going forward.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Another strong game from Day. Pretty happy for Clattenburg. The kid has performed above expectations every game since his arrival. He just does little things that I like and often show his character. Like the other night after the big OT Win. Everybody jumps the boards and races towards Slavicek. Not Clattenburg. He’s racing towards Day. Kid has been good and I think there’s a decent chance he’s a stud OA for them in the future too.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I missed the opening of the game. Did they say why Coulson was out? As much crap as Terry Doyle takes he’s a pretty knowledgeable and decent play by play guy I think.

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
I missed the opening of the game. Did they say why Coulson was out? As much crap as Terry Doyle takes he’s a pretty knowledgeable and decent play by play guy I think.
He said they were just giving him the night. Said he's a little banged up. Could play if it was an important game.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
He said they were just giving him the night. Said he's a little banged up. Could play if it was an important game.
It IS an important game but I get it. Also….

“Yeah. I’m gonna pull the goalie but I’m gonna wait until he gets completely lit up and the game is out of reach.”-Paul Flache

He did the same thing with Day recently. You can see Brown is fighting it tonight. He’s 17. He’s off tonight. It happens. Get Day in there. There’s only one more game this week and at this point they need to climb as high in the standings as they can.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
No Coulson again and back to back for Brown while we are chasing points? Day must be under the weather or something.

Hockytwn51419

Sponsor
Jan 29, 2023
No Coulson again and back to back for Brown while we are chasing points? Day must be under the weather or something.
I believe Coulson has a broken finger, the back to back by Brown had us all scratching our head. 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad