Flint Firebirds 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gensdef

May 24, 2017
Some of the mock drafts I've seen clearly don't take team needs into consideration. A 5'8" Offensive minded D when they will have 18yo Busby and 18yo McCourt already? Doesn't seem likely or make much sense to me. I admit some of the comments I've seen on Drysdale make him sound appealing and the footage I've seen looked good but I hope they go after one of the high-end forwards. Just take a look at how 17yo Merkley and 17yo Lalonde are doing. Drafted 1st and 2nd overall. I hope if Flint spends that pick on a D that they are better than those two are when they're 17 and its Flint's go for it year.
I also would rather see a top forward taken. Was just stating what i read in scouting report.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The D slated for the first round are certainly getting a lot of hype. I suppose it depends on what Fs management thinks will be available in the 2nd, 3rd, & import draft.
Having said that, Power & (O’Rourke?) seem to make more sense than Moore from a needs standpoint.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Are we done talking about Drysdale? Has he said no to Flint? Or is the NCAA calling? Erie or nothing? The size on Moore (or lack of it) worries me.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Are we done talking about Drysdale? Has he said no to Flint? Or is the NCAA calling? Erie or nothing? The size on Moore (or lack of it) worries me.

Read some where he said he wanted to play in the Toronto area on Drysdale.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The D slated for the first round are certainly getting a lot of hype. I suppose it depends on what Fs management thinks will be available in the 2nd, 3rd, & import draft.
Having said that, Power & (O’Rourke?) seem to make more sense than Moore from a needs standpoint.

I really like O'Rourke, he's good size physical, all around defence play both offence and defence.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Again, most here think/want Flint to select a forward or Center.

Yes, tough call, but at 2nd pick overall I go with a forward, and you should be able to get a decent defensemen in you're second pick.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Again, most here think/want Flint to select a forward or Center.

I get that, LW seems ideal to me. But if Stranges & Peterson are NCAA bound, the next 2-5 BPA might be D. Maybe there’s F @#22 that are closer to Cuylle, Verling, Tolnai than D @#22 are to Moore, O’Rourke, Power. Forwards can also be taken @#42, and in the import draft @#6

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Stranges, Peterson, Drysdale, Perfetti, and Byfield should or will be off the table for Flint. Drysdale seems to have zero interest in Flint and Byfield will have already have been selected, and the others would more than likely not report. Flint needs players, not more future draft picks leaving Vierling Cuylle, a smallish sized Moore, Tolnai, or Power to pick with the 2nd overall pick. I like cubs idea above.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Stranges, Peterson, Drysdale, Perfetti, and Byfield should or will be off the table for Flint. Drysdale seems to have zero interest in Flint and Byfield will have already have been selected, and the others would more than likely not report. Flint needs players, not more future draft picks leaving Vierling Cuylle, a smallish sized Moore, Tolnai, or Power to pick with the 2nd overall pick. I like cubs idea above.
Right. They'll be returning 5-7 D next year. I'd say 6 with Alexandrov being a possible 7th NOT including any potential kids who were drafted in 2017 or 2016. Using the #2 overall pick on a young, raw D who is going to have to potentially fight Gordeev, Busby, McCourt and Gretz for ice time IF he's ahead of Nilsen, Pilon, Alexandrov and any potential others makes little sense to me when they could use another top 6 Forward. If they want a D, get a for sure kid with the import pick or grab a D with the second pick you can ease into the lineup. That's without even considering the option of filling an OA spot with a cheap(ish) OA D.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I'm with you guys on drafting a forward, just as long as that person is a winger, not a center. With Dellandrea and Holmes already filling the 1C and 2C, I'd hate to see the #2 overall pick stuck on the 3rd line. I'd much rather round out the Top 6.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'm with you guys on drafting a forward, just as long as that person is a winger, not a center. With Dellandrea and Holmes already filling the 1C and 2C, I'd hate to see the #2 overall pick stuck on the 3rd line. I'd much rather round out the Top 6.

That is why selecting a near future #1 D ((if clearly one of the BPA)) with the #2 pick in a supposedly excellent draft year is not a terrible idea. It’s not like Flint needs to draft a saviour at D like Guelph & SBY did in a weaker 2016 draft. And, I have little doubt Flint will get both a top 6 and top 9 between import pick, #22 & #42 pick, and OA.
Your G is 17, best players 18, only Gordeev 19 on D; Flint is not memorial cup bound next season. Trust GM, assistant GM, scouts, and coaches here; they must have put a lot of consideration into how they can get the most out of #2, 22, import, and extra future picks.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
That is why selecting a near future #1 D ((if clearly one of the BPA)) with the #2 pick in a supposedly excellent draft year is not a terrible idea. It’s not like Flint needs to draft a saviour at D like Guelph & SBY did in a weaker 2016 draft. And, I have little doubt Flint will get both a top 6 and top 9 between import pick, #22 & #42 pick, and OA.
Your G is 17, best players 18, only Gordeev 19 on D; Flint is not memorial cup bound next season. Trust GM, assistant GM, scouts, and coaches here; they must have put a lot of consideration into how they can get the most out of #2, 22, import, and extra future picks.
It can be argued Sudbury needs a sure fire top defenseman more than Flint does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toldyaso

Toldyaso

Tragic Poster
Apr 13, 2015
It can be argued Sudbury needs a sure fire top defenseman more than Flint does.

I have thought this very same thing. Have no idea if Sudbury will draft greatest need or best player available with the first pick. Either way could be argued as a smart pick for them. I suspect they will go best player available.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It can be argued Sudbury needs a sure fire top 4 defenseman more than Flint does.

No doubt :) but SBY can’t pass on BPA.

If Cuylle or other LW and availlable D @#22 or import is nearly equal to Moore or Power or O’Rourke and available F @#22 or import, perfect. Just get the best net value and team benefit out of those picks.

You can also look to draft of 2000 born where Dellandrea, Holmes, Roberts, Wismer, & Littlejohn, and Busby, McCourt, & Pilon were taken; and 2001 (so far) of Keppen & Harris, and Gretz, and Cavallin; and conclude that a near future #1 D would provide the most benefit to the team.

*I realize Pilon is 2000 born picked with 2001 class

Last edited:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I have thought this very same thing. Have no idea if Sudbury will draft greatest need or best player available with the first pick. Either way could be argued as a smart pick for them. I suspect they will go best player available.
Lets be real here...every team's "greatest need" is a can't-miss superstar with an NHL All-Star projection.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Based on mocks and ranks I’ve seen, 6 D could go between 2-10. Some ignore Stranges, Peterson, & Perfetti obviously.
Cuylle, Tolnai, Verling (might) be a reach at #2. Regardless, Flint is getting a really good player.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Based on mocks and ranks I’ve seen, 6 D could go between 2-10. Some ignore Stranges, Peterson, & Perfetti obviously.
Cuylle, Tolnai, Verling (might) be a reach at #2. Regardless, Flint is getting a really good player.
I agree, but I also think Power and O'Rourke could be a reach at #2 as well. Moore is good but I am not sold on his size and physicality. If we were to take a defenseman I would prefer Drysdale only if he would pre agree to report, which I would not hold my breath on.

Last edited:

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
If you have the chance, on the OHL main page checkout the profiles on LW Will Cuylle and D Ryan O’Rourke. Very impressive.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
If I am not mistaken, Flint should have the following picks:

Round 1. 2nd overall pick
Round 2. 22nd pick
Round 3. 48th pick (MIS Round 3 pick)
Round 4 62nd pick
Round 5 82nd pick
Round 6. 102nd pick
Round 7 122nd pick
Round 8 142nd pick
And so on through Round 15. We have one pick per round.

Also, Flint should have the 6th overall import selection.
Updated March 29th. Flint’s 45th is now 48th overall.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I say Will Cuylle is you're guy, big strong power foward who can score, that is hard to pass up, and can't go wrong with this pick.

Reactions: the dog

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I say Will Cuylle is you're guy, big strong power foward who can score, that is hard to pass up, and can't go wrong with this pick.

I agree with that, thought that way during OHL cup. I really wonder about the variances of his rankings compared to the top four D, though.
[Edit: hockey prospect 1-160 rankings on London thread has Cuylle over all D except Drysdale; and, very heavy F to D ratio in 2nd round.]
Concern over Busby’s durability could be a factor too.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I agree with that, thought that way during OHL cup. I really wonder about the variances of his rankings compared to the top four D, though.
[Edit: hockey prospect 1-160 rankings on London thread has Cuylle over all D except Drysdale; and, very heavy F to D ratio in 2nd round.]
Concern over Busby’s durability could be a factor too.

I think out of the forwards Byfield and Cuylle are the most OHL ready. Also there are so many good D in this draft that are able to be later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad