Speculation: Flames Trek II - The Wrath of Don (Calgary Flames GM Search)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukin1978

Feb 27, 2008
The North
g8EUqvR.gif

Stan Bowman why?

Reactions: viper0220

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Well he built a team that went undefeated against us in three games this season….

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Has a timeline been mentioned yet? I'm guessing ideally a GM should be in place at least 2-3 weeks before the draft and FA season gets underway to get a lay of the land.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Has a timeline been mentioned yet? I'm guessing ideally a GM should be in place at least 2-3 weeks before the draft and FA season gets underway to get a lay of the land.

I know people like to see a GM in place to run the draft but its really Tod Button's job. If we hire a GM from another organization they might not even be allowed to have any say in our picks. We should have one in place for FA definitely but I'm not worried if Maloney has to do it. The right person is way more important than when in our case. This team can't afford another bad or mediocre GM.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Conroy gets it, if anything because hes an elusive American who likes Calgary and also he can lure Iggy back
Seems fairly likely, to me, that Conroy could very much be part of the problem. He's always struck me as a "yes man". Seem like the last thing we need as yes men tend to build weak teams and promote terrible culture.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Bowman cannot be a serious contender, lol. For so, so many reasons.

Friedge often connects the Flames with Mark Hunter, so worth noting him. Eric Tulsky is also a name that's been said a few times.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'd take Dubas if the Leafs get swept and he gets canned.
Dunno about that. Dubas inherited Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and went totally overboard chasing Tavares. I don't know if it was all his idea, or Shanahan forced it, but he hasn't done anything since but plug holes with low impact players and now they're about to get swept with 4 of the top forwards in the league on their roster.

Reactions: Boomstick and Deen

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Could depend on if they want someone from a team already in playoffs, like an AGM with the Devils/Canes/Seattle etc.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'd take Dubas if the Leafs get swept and he gets canned.
I will say, though, that I think Dubas is as capable as any other GM. I just wouldn't covet him. He's certainly aggressive, which is good. He's not a dumb guy, not incompetent. I just don't have faith in any GM candidate. They aren't good until they are.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I know people like to see a GM in place to run the draft but its really Tod Button's job. If we hire a GM from another organization they might not even be allowed to have any say in our picks. We should have one in place for FA definitely but I'm not worried if Maloney has to do it. The right person is way more important than when in our case. This team can't afford another bad or mediocre GM.

That's... not entirely how it works. Tod Button and co will go out and scout prospects. They'll bring their data and ask the GM how he wants to rank/put emphasis the data (ie: skill, attitude, size, physicality etc. mandate). Then the data I assume gets scored, sorted and a ranked list is spit out. You can literally have dozens of lists with different prospect rankings based on how the data is processed or emphasized. This is also why it's such a big deal when a team's list is leaked.

These aren't teams sitting there with Mackenzie's aggregate list auto drafting. Each team has their own data and then sorts and ranks their data differently. Each team has slightly different definitions of BPA. If they have a tier ranking like Conroy revealed one year, then positional need plays a factor in rankings, and home town kids sometimes also plays a factor in rankings. This is why different teams have have "wildly" different rankings of prospects.

In the past, some GMs are not contractually allowed to run the draft because they know how another team is running their draft. That was sort of what happened with Treliving IMO which is why I always almost certain the first draft was run by Burke. This is also why I've often pointed at the totally different type of player that was drafted in that first draft than all the subsequent drafts.

Later round though, I think Treliving allowed the scouts to just swing at the fences at the group's favourite prospects which has shown some promise. I hope the next GM continues that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hunter, Conroy, Pascal, one of the Hurricanes guys. Any of those I’m happy with.

Stan Bowman was a terrible GM the last ten years or so, and that’s not considering all the baggage he brings

Bowman is toxic.

If he's selected as GM, I assume the outcome will be all the same negative effects of Botox... pain, droopy eyelids, headache, crooked smile, watery eyes etc.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad