Speculation: Flames Trek II - The Wrath of Don (Calgary Flames GM Search)

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Young and progressive BUT Calgary isn’t built like a Dubas team so he would want to tear it down and then build it up and he has the experience and credentials to demand that

What does a Dubas built team look like?

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
It seems a bit petty with not allowing Brad to interview. Just put a condition that they can't discuss draft stuff, and that if he's offered a position he can't actually sign and start until after the draft is concluded.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It seems a bit petty with not allowing Brad to interview. Just put a condition that they can't discuss draft stuff, and that if he's offered a position he can't actually sign and start until after the draft is concluded.
The same dude that got all petty about Bennett asking for a trade saying only he can decide who is the the roster? Nice to see Brad on the other side of it.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Is there even time to clean house at the very top, with only six weeks until the draft and free agency period begins?

If not, if you’re going with Shanahan into the next phase of major decisions, then the question becomes: Do you commit to Dubas on a new long-term deal, given there are potentially other organizations interested and driving up the price?

And, even if you do want to commit, does Dubas still want to stay?

It’s not exactly the league’s best-kept secret that Shanahan and Dubas have been somewhat at odds this season, something evident in the fact they haven’t watched many games together, a change from years past.

Is that schism deep enough to mean a GM change is coming for certain? I don’t believe so, no. This isn’t going to be about personality conflicts. But it’s also clear that keeping this front office together will be far more complicated than simply coming up with a modest extension offer for the incumbent.

Dubas, those close to him say, will want to be paid handsomely, especially if there are other offers from the likes of Pittsburgh, Calgary or even division rival Ottawa. And he will want greater job security and autonomy within whatever structure Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment settles on.

Getting the GM situation set quickly will be step one for the franchise. And it’s a huge one because all the other pieces are going to be connected to it.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Surprised it's been pretty quiet for rumors of Calgary's GM and Coach search. I know we're deep into the playoffs, but still the changes came during the playoff too.

And about Dubas and the Leafs etc. Him, Shanahan and Keefe should have been fired last year.
I don't like Dubas's stubbornness and cockiness. He thinks he knows all, and will get results which he never gets. Tavares deal was terrible, Not signing Matthews long-term when he had the chance was bad asset management. Tavares, Marner, Matthews all making $11 million was ridiculous.
His goalie carousel has been atrocious. Banking on Mrazek and having to give up a 1st to undo that mistake was terrible. Now he's stuck with Matt Murray and the whole league had no interest in him.

Everyone blamed Freddie Andersen for the Leafs losing to Columbus in the bubble, but the only offensive player to show up in the last 3 years in the playoffs for them has been Nylander. Andersen was the scapegoat but the truth of the matter was the Leafs couldn't score on Columbus, or Tampa last year. I'd still take an injury plagued Andersen over Mrazek, Murray,

So I'm from Ontario, so I'm pretty biased with my hatred of the Leafs, but Dubas has not learned from his mistakes. If he comes here, c'est la vie. I have no control over that decision, but I'd prefer he keeps failing in Toronto or moves on to Pittsburgh or Ottawa.

Time will tell, we shall see.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
That Matthews contract alone should be reason enough to never hire him.
I haven’t liked many of his depth moves. Basically Brodie was his best move IMO. The Sandin move is a head scratcher.

Actually looking at his transactions page he’s been a pretty brutal GM.

I'm not a fan of how he handled the Matthews, Nylander or Marner contracts tbf. I think he should've traded one of Nylander or Marner on help on D. That said, I think he is quite an aggressive GM and reminds me of Tre in that sense. He's gonna be one of the more coveted GMs if TML let him walk, I wouldn't be mad if we were able to get him.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Pridham, 49, first joined the Leafs organization as special assistant to the GM in 2014-15 before being promoted to assistant GM beginning in 2018-19. Prior to joining the Leafs organization, Pridham had spent more than a decade working for the NHL with Central Scouting and the Central Registry. During his time there, he was a key point of contact for NHL executives for matters relating to the salary cap and collective bargaining agreement. He carried that expertise into his work with the Leafs and has been known as the team’s resident “capologist,” assisting with all matters relating to the salary cap and contract negotiations.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Surprised it's been pretty quiet for rumors of Calgary's GM and Coach search. I know we're deep into the playoffs, but still the changes came during the playoff too.

And about Dubas and the Leafs etc. Him, Shanahan and Keefe should have been fired last year.
I don't like Dubas's stubbornness and cockiness. He thinks he knows all, and will get results which he never gets. Tavares deal was terrible, Not signing Matthews long-term when he had the chance was bad asset management. Tavares, Marner, Matthews all making $11 million was ridiculous.
His goalie carousel has been atrocious. Banking on Mrazek and having to give up a 1st to undo that mistake was terrible. Now he's stuck with Matt Murray and the whole league had no interest in him.

Everyone blamed Freddie Andersen for the Leafs losing to Columbus in the bubble, but the only offensive player to show up in the last 3 years in the playoffs for them has been Nylander. Andersen was the scapegoat but the truth of the matter was the Leafs couldn't score on Columbus, or Tampa last year. I'd still take an injury plagued Andersen over Mrazek, Murray,

So I'm from Ontario, so I'm pretty biased with my hatred of the Leafs, but Dubas has not learned from his mistakes. If he comes here, c'est la vie. I have no control over that decision, but I'd prefer he keeps failing in Toronto or moves on to Pittsburgh or Ottawa.

Time will tell, we shall see.
*whispers* His team made the 2nd round...is that not better than now?

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
I am not sure who the Flames would go for as a GM, but I would go with Craig Conroy on a 2 year contract then at the end of 2023-2024 season when Iginla finishes his year with his under-15 team they could ask him to be assistant GM to Conroy and with him on the team he may have influence on bringing in Mikka Kiprusoff as goalie coach. The Coach should be Mitch Love as he has done a great job with the AHL team and I feel he could bring the same level of intensity to the big club and inject some youth into the team.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
*whispers* His team made the 2nd round...is that not better than now?
Sure, I'll give him that. It's about time, but your expectations went well beyond the 2nd round not just this year, but for the last 5 years. Also tell me what else I said wrong? Are you happy with your core making $40 million for 5 wins in the playoffs? Are you happy you keep trading 1st round draft picks for rentals that never stay? Are you happy with your goaltending?
If reaching the 2nd round was your Stanley Cup congratulations, enjoy your parade. Leafs won 2 playoff games in regulation this year and they played 11 games. You're happy with that? I'm happy that you're happy. If you're happy with Dubas, I hope you extend him for a huge sum of money that he clearly deserves.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm personally really not a Dubas guy anyway.
He walked into the GM role with Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner both sophomores coming off massive seasons and still on ELC's. His first move as a GM was to immediately handcuff the organization with John Tavares; he dragged on the Nylander deal and then was forced to have to absolutely pay Matthews and Marner in his second year as GM.

His trade history makes is poor. His bright spots are trading for Muzzin and Campbell. Neither of which are real game breakers. He's given away some solid talent because of the juggling he's had to do with their lack of cap. Guys like Mason Marchment and Connor Brown as still solid NHL'ers that were given away for cap reasons or poor evaluation. He's given up a lot of first rounders in the process, as well as ex-first rounders the team made.

Since he was made GM in 2018, the two players who've played the most games and have been the largest different makers to date in the NHL are Rasmus Sandin and Sean Durzi. Neither play for Toronto anymore. Knies looks like a gamer, but outside of that, the cupboard is pretty bare.

I really want someone who understands the game at a high level, but is also not a dinosaur. I've said it a bunch, this team isn't far off from competing, but it needs a new vision.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Okay so here - this is Elliotte Friedman in a nutshell. "Another person I have wondered about...Ray Whitney...I've kind of wondered about."
Not saying you are doing this, but this is the kind of thing Elliotte says, and people run with it as leaked insider info.
At least it’s better than Seravalli who just completely contradicts himself.

“The Flames organization chose Darryl Sutter over Brad Treliving”
3 days later “The Flames organization just felt that they had to move on from Darryl Sutter”

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm personally really not a Dubas guy anyway.
He walked into the GM role with Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner both sophomores coming off massive seasons and still on ELC's. His first move as a GM was to immediately handcuff the organization with John Tavares; he dragged on the Nylander deal and then was forced to have to absolutely pay Matthews and Marner in his second year as GM.

His trade history makes is poor. His bright spots are trading for Muzzin and Campbell. Neither of which are real game breakers. He's given away some solid talent because of the juggling he's had to do with their lack of cap. Guys like Mason Marchment and Connor Brown as still solid NHL'ers that were given away for cap reasons or poor evaluation. He's given up a lot of first rounders in the process, as well as ex-first rounders the team made.

Since he was made GM in 2018, the two players who've played the most games and have been the largest different makers to date in the NHL are Rasmus Sandin and Sean Durzi. Neither play for Toronto anymore. Knies looks like a gamer, but outside of that, the cupboard is pretty bare.

I really want someone who understands the game at a high level, but is also not a dinosaur. I've said it a bunch, this team isn't far off from competing, but it needs a new vision.
People associate success with being a good GM.

Honestly it happened to Treliving for a long time. He made some good moves under his watch(Andersson, Kylington, Zadorov, Tkachuk, Hanifin, Tanev, Lindholm, Wolf) but most of the core players were from Feaster (Gaudreau, Monahan) and Sutter (Backlund, Gio, Brodie).

The same happened with Dubas. He started with elite NHL players and just couldn’t push them over the top.

I’m looking at a team like Vegas or Carolina for GM. They play a similar way to Calgary and have built teams without top picks (beside Svechnikov). Internal hire works too (Conroy or Pascall). Mark Hunter would be my wildcard choice.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
At least it’s better than Seravalli who just completely contradicts himself.

“The Flames organization chose Darryl Sutter over Brad Treliving”
3 days later “The Flames organization just felt that they had to move on from Darryl Sutter”

Seravalli has really annoyed me the past couple months. Constantly stirring shit by bringing up the Johnny thing like 8 months after he's gone. TBF he got Darryl getting fired right, but at that point it was a 50/50 chance.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’m looking at a team like Vegas or Carolina for GM. They play a similar way to Calgary and have built teams without top picks (beside Svechnikov). Internal hire works too (Conroy or Pascall). Mark Hunter would be my wildcard choice.

One thing those teams absolutely got right, is going after value players.

We know the story with Vegas, because it intertwines with Calgary. You beat the Flames on deals for Stone and Eichel, you paid the assets they asked for because you knew you were getting the best player available. This should just be common knowledge in the NHL now; when a star becomes available, pay the price because 9/10 times you're laughing all the way to the bank.

Carolina has done a good job drafting, I mean, they get excellent value in those mid-first round picks. But also, props to them on getting these guys that teams undervalued. Sharks want to boot Burns; so Carolina gets him for a couple mid-tier prospects and a third. The guy scores 60 points and is like +20 in goal differential, and has already chipped in like 8 points this playoffs. Freddie Andersen? Toronto literally chases the guy out of town, so they snag him and get a legit 1A starter behind a team that plays exceptional team defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig