Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Nicklas Grossmann [1 yr, $575k]

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I just remember him completely stifling us (and it seemed like it was always him making plays) when we played the Coyotes last year. I'm rather indifferent to the signing, but I don't think it's terrible.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I just remember him completely stifling us (and it seemed like it was always him making plays) when we played the Coyotes last year. I'm rather indifferent to the signing, but I don't think it's terrible.

Pretty much this

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Yesterday, everyone's hopes and dreams came true.

Today, everybody's worst fears are coming true.

I'm just happy that everyone can feel a little bit of the heartbreak associated with Paul Byron last year for some of us.
giphy.gif

Stop it.

I don't see all doom and gloom like a lot of you right now. There is a possibility that Kulak gets the start tomorrow, and that Grossmann signing is just insurance, especially with the inevitably of injuries hitting this team. I'm in the "let's wait and see" regarding this. It isn't the worst signing of the day. Half sarcastic...

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Hate this signing. He's not an NHL defenseman. Would have rather just nabbed someone from waivers over signing him as a #7.

He signed for basically league minimum.

With the Flames up against the cap, it's what was needed. Waiver claim could have exceeded that cap hit greatly.

There is no cap space for Versteeg and Grossmann unless all of Vey, Bollig and Kulak are sent down.
According to my math (with Vey already assigned) the Flames are only over the cap by about $285,000. Only one of Bollig and Kulak should need to go (and really only on paper until Smid goes LTIR).

Or (just as likely) I've ****ed the math again.

Aug 21, 2014
Grossmann's a big body, he was also drafted as a RW'er. We found our #1 RW'er. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness you can never have too many veteran d-men. He either plays when we need some extra beef/injuries, or in the pressbox like a good veteran.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Grossmann's a big body, he was also drafted as a RW'er. We found our #1 RW'er. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness you can never have too many veteran d-men. He either plays when we need some extra beef/injuries, or in the pressbox like a good veteran.

You can have too many garbage defensemen though

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Grossman isn't a bad depth option to have in case of injuries and to sit in the press box while the young guns play top minutes in the minors. I'm okay with this. Kulak didn't run away with it, even though he played well at times.

I suspect we'll see Kulak up once injuries hit, which will inevitably happen.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just a depth 7.
I personally would be pissed having Wotherspoon or Kulak sitting in the presser for 10 game stretches a la Hartley.

Grossmann can sit there as the 7 and when we move Wideman or Engelland for a bag of pucks he can hold the fort while the kids come up etc.

Don't mind this signing for league minimum.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He can't take a regular shift and he doesn't fight but he keeps the peace when he is on the ice. Probably for the room if anything.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
What's the difference?

The difference is that you can find someone on waivers who can at least skate. I fully agree that one of the kids shouldn't be eating popcorn as the #7, but with guys like Wideman and Engs, the Flames blueline is slow as it is. There is/was better choices out there. I'm confident this contract is because of the "truculent" factor. It only takes one illness or minor injury, with no time for a call up, to have Wideman, Engs and Grossman as the Flames 4-6th defensemen. And you cannot tell me that is a good thing, especially against fast teams.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
As others have said, it makes more sense to have Kulak getting top minutes in the AHL than being the #7 here.

Giordano - Brodie
Jokipakka - Hamilton
Engelland - Wideman
Grossman

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
As others have said, it makes more sense to have Kulak getting top minutes in the AHL than being the #7 here.

Giordano - Brodie
Jokipakka - Hamilton
Engelland - Wideman
Grossman

The thing is, he doesn't have to be the 7th defenseman. He could swap out with Engelland, Wideman or Grossman.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The thing is, he doesn't have to be the 7th defenseman. He could swap out with Engelland, Wideman or Grossman.

I'd still rather give Kulak another year to prepare. Next season when Wideman, Engelland, Grossman, and possibly Jokipakka (due to expansion) are gone, Kulak will be more prepared.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
On being fair to Grossman

What should our expectations be of a 3rd pairing Dman?
-How many goals against can they factor into while playing the lowest minutes?
-What types of mistakes are acceptable?
-What factors might they add to the team?
-How quick should they be able to skate (minimum) in the new NHL?
-Should they grow and have room to grow their game?
-What's the minimum standard for being able to make a first pass?
-How well can they recognize and control gaps against a rush?
-How well should they be able to retrieve a puck?

I think we have a legitimate reason to be pissed off that he's playing and at the way he played when you compare his skill set to a "decent" 3rd pairing guy. (Engelland, Gunnersson, Schlemko, Brodin)

Even when Grossman was playing "well" last night his partner would be bailing him out of slow retrivals where Edmonton could pressure him and his passing options before he got the puck. And awkward short passes cause he couldn't skate and open up lanes when looking up ice.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
On being fair to Grossman

What should our expectations be of a 3rd pairing Dman?
-How many goals against can they factor into while playing the lowest minutes?
-What types of mistakes are acceptable?
-What factors might they add to the team?
-How quick should they be able to skate (minimum) in the new NHL?
-Should they grow and have room to grow their game?
-What's the minimum standard for being able to make a first pass?
-How well can they recognize and control gaps against a rush?
-How well should they be able to retrieve a puck?

I think we have a legitimate reason to be pissed off that he's playing and at the way he played when you compare his skill set to a "decent" 3rd pairing guy. (Engelland, Gunnersson, Schlemko, Brodin)

Even when Grossman was playing "well" last night his partner would be bailing him out of slow retrivals where Edmonton could pressure him and his passing options before he got the puck. And awkward short passes cause he couldn't skate and open up lanes when looking up ice.

My minimum regardless of whatever pairing is that they can skate and keep up with the play. Thats not Grossman. Even if all they know how to do is skate and play only defense and have zero breakout of zero offensive capabilitiesI'm ok with it.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Apparently Grossman was signed purely so the Flames could get the full benefit of Smid's LTIR (I also wonder if he was dressed so the league couldn't call shenanigans on the signing). We may not see him play at all in the near future. He may even get waived once Smid is officially LTIRed.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Apparently Grossman was signed purely so the Flames could get the full benefit of Smid's LTIR (I also wonder if he was dressed so the league couldn't call shenanigans on the signing). We may not see him play at all in the near future. He may even get waived once Smid is officially LTIRed.

But Smid isn't LTIRd yet. Could you explain further?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad