Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Nicklas Grossmann [1 yr, $575k]

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Stockton is going to have a serious D corps down there. Wotherspoon and Kulak are both NHL capable defenders. I dont really get this move but i guess i trust my GM.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yesterday, everyone's hopes and dreams came true.

Today, everybody's worst fears are coming true.

I'm just happy that everyone can feel a little bit of the heartbreak associated with Paul Byron last year for some of us.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
giphy.gif

And they were doing so well

Would have rather had Kulak/Wideman/Jokipakka/Engelland rotating in and out of the lineup instead of relying on slower than a sloth Grossmann. And heaven help if Grossmann and Wideman ever see the ice together. Flames still find a way to be the leagues worst developmental system. That's quite a feat.

Only silver lining is maybe Kulak escapes under the radar for the expansion draft. Given his disappointment, his play will likely suffer in the shortterm, which would also help, I guess.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
can't win em all.

I'm surprised this happened before the roster needed to be set.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Kulak, and to a lesser extent Wotherspoon are better served playing every game in Stockton, than receiving sporadic playing time in the NHL, I kind of saw this coming when Gulutzan said he'd prefer the extras not be young guys.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I liked what I saw from Grossmann in the preseason. Clears the front of the net, ox along the boards, very sound positionally, and should help the PK. Put him with a decent puck mover and he'll probably be an even player. There's a reason he's been in this league for a long time.

All that being said he probably just gains another 15lbs in the pressbox.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Based on what I saw at WCoH, I'm not sold on Jokipakka.

He was an adequate 3rd pair guy for that ~20 game stretch for us last season I think. Played a low-risk, boring defensive game. Most importantly he was better than Kulak or Wotherspoon.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Hate this signing. He's not an NHL defenseman. Would have rather just nabbed someone from waivers over signing him as a #7.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00