Confirmed with Link: Flames Resign Paul Byron - 1 year Contract

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would think there were other circumstances going along with that, though. What kind of role was he given and how good were the teams from year to year, for example. All I've seen, obviously, is the product we get at the NHL level after he earns a call-up (which he's done every year since joining the organization).
I can say with certainty while with Abbotsford his play was not as good in year 2 as it was in year 1 or 3. Obviously year 3 being his best and most consistent of the 3.

Good point on the role thing. In year 3 he was pushed to the 3rd line and played against weaker competition while in Abbotsford. I guess you figured out his improvement :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It sounds as if it is a 1 way contract. I would guess for less money than his QO would have been for

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I love Byron but he is not a long term option for us. He isn't dynamic enough to stick with that size once we start talking playoffs. He can still surprise, of course, but I find that unlikely

Still happy to have him back for now, I think he's a positive influence

fallsviewafro*

He's literally making less than Gallagher is, who is on his ELC. Hopefully this puts the comparisons between Gallagher/Marchand and Byron to rest.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He's literally making less than Gallagher is, who is on his ELC. Hopefully this puts the comparisons between Gallagher/Marchand and Byron to rest.

Comparisons are harmless. And I'm not sure I follow your argument. Flames management at one point had a small player who they found so non-valuable that they bought him out. And we know how that story went...

Right now, Gallagher is the better player, for sure. I'm saying that Byron, from what I've seen, has similar value to our team in terms of of the tools he brings to the table, than Marchand for Boston and Gallagher to Montreal.

But realistically, the only way to see if this is true or not is not by how valuable GMs think he is, but how well he does over the next couple of seasons if he's given opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad