Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
giphy.gif
nod-of-approval.gif
ownerfistpump.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 2m
The #Flames have re-signed forward Paul Byron to a one-year contract! ~ http://cflam.es/1rqzdfx
from the same link

The Flames also announced that they have signed goaltender Brad Thiessen, defenseman Sena Acolatse and forward Mathieu Tousignant (AHL contract).

Theissen had solid numbers with Norfolk in the AH last year and Acolatse is a smaller RH defenseman with moderate offensive numbers.

JulianHopper*

Good for Paul Byron and a good gesture by the Flames as well but more than likely he will be playing in Adirondack this season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good for Paul Byron and a good gesture by the Flames as well but more than likely he will be playing in Adirondack this season.

When everyone's healthy, it's likely he will. But I think once the injury bug inevitably hits, he'll be coming up and he'll play well enough to stick. Just like last year.

Alternatively, I could see him being carried as the 13th forward, because I don't think he's exactly raw enough that you can't afford to have him in the press box.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Interesting that no terms have been released except for it being a 1 year contract. The Flames have been quick to release this info recently.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So, AF, that thing about the Flames management agreeing that he wasn't a valuable player because they didn't re-sign him... :naughty::sarcasm:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So, AF, that thing about the Flames management agreeing that he wasn't a valuable player because they didn't re-sign him... :naughty::sarcasm:
I will wait to see the terms. If he took less money on a 2way deal I will stand by that statement.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I will wait to see the terms. If he took less money on a 2way deal I will stand by that statement.

They value him. They just value their bottom line more. :laugh:

I have a feeling that management must have sent out feelers through the league to see if anyone else coveted him before making the decision they did. I mean, avoiding arbitration in this way is risky if you think you're going to lose the player. Byron signing here indicates that no one around the league saw value in him. At least here, the coaches know his game and appreciate him. I have a feeling that Hartley does what he can to keep him in the mix, because Hartley's was a huge Paul Byron fan last year.

Aug 3, 2010
Great signing, wish it was for 2 seasons though.

Welcome back into high society, Lord Byron.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They value him. They just value their bottom line more. :laugh:

I have a feeling that management must have sent out feelers through the league to see if anyone else coveted him before making the decision they did. I mean, avoiding arbitration in this way is risky if you think you're going to lose the player. Byron signing here indicates that no one around the league saw value in him. At least here, the coaches know his game and appreciate him. I have a feeling that Hartley does what he can to keep him in the mix, because Hartley's was a huge Paul Byron fan last year.
It tells me they like Byron but his value to the team is negligible if they are willing to risk losing him over a relatively small amount of money.

JulianHopper*

When everyone's healthy, it's likely he will. But I think once the injury bug inevitably hits, he'll be coming up and he'll play well enough to stick. Just like last year.

Alternatively, I could see him being carried as the 13th forward, because I don't think he's exactly raw enough that you can't afford to have him in the press box.

I believe it's only because Byron is a right winger and the Flames have a bit of a problem to say the least with the right wing depth right now.

They're probably waiting now till training camp to see who can establish themselves as a NHL RWer and keeping Paul Byron doesn't hurt when having players compete for a roster spot.

The problem is they don't have anyone unless Poirier or Hunter Smith can step up but that's probably unlikely.

More than likely there will be a trade once training camp and the pre-season get going.

Flames have quite a few Centers, Left wingers and even Defensemen that they will have to use in a trade.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It tells me they like Byron but his value to the team is negligible if they are willing to risk losing him over a relatively small amount of money.

didnt-read-lol-chicken-gif.gif

Naw, I'm just kidding. I'm pumped Byron's back. I really do think he makes a huge difference to our team when he's in the lineup whether or not management recognizes it yet.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Our LW seems packed. Something has gotta give you would think with Gaudreau and Bart pushing for spots.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Bryons spot will depend entirely on how well the young wingers do. Primarily Bart and Gaudreau. If they don't look like they are ready, Byron is a good insurance piece to occupy their spot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Bryons spot will depend entirely on how well the young wingers do. Primarily Bart and Gaudreau. If they don't look like they are ready, Byron is a good insurance piece to occupy their spot.
I have Byron pencilled in as the 13th forward at the moment

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad