Confirmed with Link: Flames Resign Paul Byron - 1 year Contract

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Lord_Byron_by_GlowWriter.png

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I see Byron as an everyday roster player. He was great. If it's about earning a roster spot, he'll earn it. If it's about performance, he'll perform.

I think he wanted big boy money if he is playing in the AHL, which is possible. But unless Baertschi really impresses, I don't see a prospect that deserves a spot more than Byron. Yet.

He's got wheels and could play with Raymond and be one of the fastest combo in the league....

So no harm in signing him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm happy for Byron personally, but at the same time I still don't see him as a long term fit here. Ideally I'd love to see him moved to a team where he can excel. Johnny is our small skilled guy, and Emile will be our Marchand. Nonetheless, Byron has made me a fan and who can't like him? Congrats Lord Byron!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Are you implying that if there was an open roster spot, the rookies wouldn't have to earn it?
I am saying there needs to be a plan in place in case none of the rookies earn it, because there are very few guys you can sign as UFAs after training camp that are good enough to be full time NHLers

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Are you implying that if there was an open roster spot, the rookies wouldn't have to earn it?

I'm not speaking for him, but I think he means the bar is set for how a rookie needs to perform to get a roster spot. Byron proved, IMO, that he can play in this league. Hartley speaks highly of him.

But Byron has to earn it just as much as anyone else. I don't think they want a passenger atmosphere around here where it's ok to take nights off let alone shifts. Byron plays every shift.

That's my interpitation of the signing anyway.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Byron can earn himself the 4th line centre spot just by being better than Knight. He could play big minutes on the PK, too. First PK line Backs and Bouma. Second PK line Byron and Stajan.

BacklundtoBartschi*

Great signing. We will need him next time Sedin tries to **** around.

I forgot about that!

I wasn't on HF, but I really wanted to voice my opinion on that.

Daniel shouldn't be able to turn his back to a defender to weasel out of receiving the check. Byron went for the good clean check and Sedin turned his back making himself a liability.

Didn't Byron get 5 and a game for that?

Anyways love the signing. With him and Raymond, we will have 2 speed demons in the line-up!

fallsviewafro*

...meh. Good for him I guess. I'll wait to see what he got signed for as proof he is nothing anywhere near a Marchand or Gallagher.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Anglesmith, I am fully in agreement that the 4C spot could be his. He needs to have a good camp though, and I'd expect him to. Imagine if Sven played the game the way Byron did? That's is a good reason why I like having him around the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad