Confirmed with Link: Flames Resign Paul Byron - 1 year Contract

fallsviewafro*

I hate using consensus as evidence, but it was literally you and one other person calling Byron comparable to Marchand and Gallagher whereas everyone else was rightfully calling the comparison silly.

Past that, they are all tangentially comparable in the sense that they are all pesky diminutive energy players. They are NOT comparable in terms of calibre of player. Marchand is Marchand, and Gallagher played a full season in the NHL scoring 19 goals with an excellent postseason and splitting only one AHL season before this one despite being three years younger than Byron.

Byron plays the game the right way but he's an AHL tweener who is one decent prospect away from losing his spot... if he even gets one.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I hate using consensus as evidence, but it was literally you and one other person calling Byron comparable to Marchand and Gallagher whereas everyone else was rightfully calling the comparison silly.

Past that, they are all tangentially comparable in the sense that they are all pesky diminutive energy players. They are NOT comparable in terms of calibre of player. Marchand is Marchand, and Gallagher played a full season in the NHL scoring 19 goals with an excellent postseason and splitting only one AHL season before this one despite being three years younger than Byron.

Byron plays the game the right way but he's an AHL tweener who is one decent prospect away from losing his spot... if he even gets one.

I just feel like they are comparable if you look at them in a vacuum. When you throw in the mitigating factors like the opportunities they've gotten, their team's success, how their organization has handled them etc., there are many different reasons why their values look so different league-wide. And really, that's all you're able to determine from his contract and the fact that he was allowed to be a UFA- his value league-wide.

For sure, Byron hasn't proven near what either of those guys have, but he's only had a half a season to prove anything so far, so in my opinion the jury should still very much be out.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Meh; I like Byron and he works his tail off, but he is pretty much a bottom six smurf. Way too many forwards now, who should be looking at NHL spots.
I still think Calgary will look conpletely different come October, so who knows what the forward group will look like.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Says you, and neither of us work for nhl teams so I will stick with Lord Byron.
Let's say Byron can maintain his point pace from last year (which I believe is unlikely), that means their offensive production would likely be similar with Jones being bigger and more physical. Jones may not be as quick as Byron but they play a similar game with Jones being harder to play against because of his size.

If NHL teams had the choice between the 2 players at the same price I am confident that nearly every GM would choose Jones over Byron.

Let's be honest the only reason Jones gets put down around here is because of his price tag.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Let's say Byron can maintain his point pace from last year (which I believe is unlikely), that means their offensive production would likely be similar with Jones being bigger and more physical. Jones may not be as quick as Byron but they play a similar game with Jones being harder to play against because of his size.

If NHL teams had the choice between the 2 players at the same price I am confident that nearly every GM would choose Jones over Byron.

Let's be honest the only reason Jones gets put down around here is because of his price tag.

Its at least argueable which is what my point was. I think he fits in some where around 11-12 in terms of depth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Its at least argueable which is what my point was. I think he fits in some where around 11-12 in terms of depth.
It's really not though. Like it or not, size matters. If 2 players play similar games teams will take the player that is 7" taller and 57lbs heavier 10 times out of 10.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It's really not though. Like it or not, size matters. If 2 players play similar games teams will take the player that is 7" taller and 57lbs heavier 10 times out of 10.

I don't disagree but I personally think Byron is a late bloomer, maybe its blind mancrush but I think he will surprise this year.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
obligatory Byron hit on Dion pic:

Dion+Phaneuf+Paul+Byron+Buffalo+Sabres+v+Toronto+1E_oSQ6i9gQl.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't disagree but I personally think Byron is a late bloomer, maybe its blind mancrush but I think he will surprise this year.
If Jones cam stay healthy (which I admit is a big if) I think he will shock people with 15+ goals, 30+ points, 175+ hits with relatively low turnovers.

Byron, I just don't see him maintaining it. He has been too up and down so far in his pro career to make me think that he can continue to do this. I've been watching Byron for 3 years now and I just don't see it. I like Byron alot, but I don't think he will ever be a regular NHL player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
\

I don't see Byron as a pest out there at all really. He finishes his checks, hits hard (for being the height/weight of a 15 year old) but doesn't really get under the skin of the team he's playing against (how much I pay for one of these players on Calgary... is like... almost sad).

He does bring a lot of energy, and is absolutely killer on the PK. It'd be fun seeing him and Raymond kill penalties together.:)

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't see Byron as a pest out there at all really. He finishes his checks, hits hard (for being the height/weight of a 15 year old) but doesn't really get under the skin of the team he's playing against (how much I pay for one of these players on Calgary... is like... almost sad).

He does bring a lot of energy, and is absolutely killer on the PK. It'd be fun seeing him and Raymond kill penalties together.:)

Thats non-sense. You can look to the last game the Flames played as evidence of that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Jones cam stay healthy (which I admit is a big if) I think he will shock people with 15+ goals, 30+ points, 175+ hits with relatively low turnovers.

Byron, I just don't see him maintaining it. He has been too up and down so far in his pro career to make me think that he can continue to do this. I've been watching Byron for 3 years now and I just don't see it. I like Byron alot, but I don't think he will ever be a regular NHL player.

Has he really been that up and down? Three seasons ago he broke into the NHL and was a buzz-saw, but didn't really have the ability to play with the big boys. He hadn't really found himself.

Two seasons ago he broke his hand after he'd earned his way into the NHL, and that was more or less the end of that.

One season ago he forced his way into the lineup, and even the top line for some games, and was never returned to the minors even when it made sense to do so.

Seems to be trending up, but the injury two seasons ago kind of distorts that progression.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Has he really been that up and down? Three seasons ago he broke into the NHL and was a buzz-saw, but didn't really have the ability to play with the big boys. He hadn't really found himself.

Two seasons ago he broke his hand after he'd earned his way into the NHL, and that was more or less the end of that.

One season ago he forced his way into the lineup, and even the top line for some games, and was never returned to the minors even when it made sense to do so.

Seems to be trending up, but the injury two seasons ago kind of distorts that progression.
Yes he has been that up and down and not just in the NHL. Keep in mind I have watched practically every game he has played in our organization. He's up and down day to day, week to week and month to month.

Even looking at his raw point per game in the AHL it is constantly up and down. I'd use NHL numbers but quite frankly the sample size is too small.

2009-10: 0.58
2010-11: 0.79
2011-12: 0.54
2012-13: 0.39
2013-14: 0.78

Unless of course you want to call returning to his production in his second pro season as "trending upwards".

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thats non-sense. You can look to the last game the Flames played as evidence of that.

For a single debatable hit on Sedin? You know what a Pest does right? Not lay a dirty hit then not play the rest of the game... It's more of an art, honestly.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For a single debatable hit on Sedin? You know what a Pest does right? Not lay a dirty hit then not play the rest of the game... It's more of an art, honestly.

I agree the hit wasn't really a "pest" play, but it wasn't a dirty hit either, or at least the intent wasn't to be a dirty hit. It was just a hard hockey play that happened at in extremely awkward way.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Were you talking about Byron getting pummelled by 4 Canucks after the hit?

:laugh: he didn't look any worse for wear though!

I'm talking about the perimeter game he played all night and all the digging he did along the boards, how he was in every scrum that happened while he was on the ice. I disagree with the idea he didn't get under the Canucks skin before the Sedin hit.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes he has been that up and down and not just in the NHL. Keep in mind I have watched practically every game he has played in our organization. He's up and down day to day, week to week and month to month.

Even looking at his raw point per game in the AHL it is constantly up and down. I'd use NHL numbers but quite frankly the sample size is too small.

2009-10: 0.58
2010-11: 0.79
2011-12: 0.54
2012-13: 0.39
2013-14: 0.78

Unless of course you want to call returning to his production in his second pro season as "trending upwards".

I would think there were other circumstances going along with that, though. What kind of role was he given and how good were the teams from year to year, for example. All I've seen, obviously, is the product we get at the NHL level after he earns a call-up (which he's done every year since joining the organization).

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2