GDT: Flames @ Preds | 4/26/2022 | Get Your S**t together Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
That was easily among the most depressing fifteen or so minutes of sports I’ve ever seen in person. Confusingly seeing Rittich in goal, checking Twitter and seeing the video of Saros limping down the tunnel, game tied with 1/10 of a second, losing in overtime. Oh my god.

The building collapsed when Rittich went in goal. Great night turned into a nightmare.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
This was always a bubble team in a "competitive rebuild" that is EXACTLY at its best case scenario as far as end of season seeding. As for people not "running away" .. read the comments here over the past seven months when our "fans" have been doing exactly that since pre-season. Just tonight look how many people didn't want to make it if Saros MIGHT be hurt. Predators "fans"

Slade was far too nice and optimistic. GG Allin is closer.
You dont even realize you just proved my point. Fans are emotional, sometimes in the extreme. Emotional reactions happen here ALL THE TIME. But those same people saying emotional things 7 months ago ARE STILL HERE saying ridiculous, infuriating emotional shit today.

So nobody is "walking away". People who "walk away" dont come back for the next game, and the next, and the next.

So scroll back and look at the first 5 GDTS when this team looked like a steaming pile of dogshit. Anyone that was posting then and is still posting now by definition didnt "walk away" because it would have been easy enough to tune out and wait for better days...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You dont even realize you just proved my point. Fans are emotional, sometimes in the extreme. Emotional reactions happen here ALL THE TIME. But those same people saying emotional things 7 months ago ARE STILL HERE saying ridiculous, infuriating emotional shit today.

So nobody is "walking away". People who "walk away" dont come back for the next game, and the next, and the next.

So scroll back and look at the first 5 GDTS when this team looked like a steaming pile of dogshit. Anyone that was posting then and is posting now by definition didnt "walk away" because it would have been easy enough to tune out and wait for better days...
Would have been a lot easier to go be a Lightning fan instead, or something.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

So scroll back and look at the first 5 GDTS when this team looked like a steaming pile of dogshit. Anyone that was posting then and is still posting now by definition didnt "walk away" because it would have been easy enough to tune out and wait for better days...
And frankly, a few of us have stopped posting here because of crap like this, but we haven't given up loving the Preds.

Was thinking about coming back after taking an extended break only to find garbage like this still going on on this forum.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Well we’ve clinched…. Now it’s down to the avs or flames. Which team do we get to face
The only part of the playoff picture that is not settled is the Western Conference wildcard positioning. We're one of the 2 and Dallas should be the other (and Vegas has an infinitesimal chance).

We have Colorado and Arizona in a back-to-back on the road, where we have not been playing well. And with Saros last seen limping down the tunnel. Dallas has Arizona and Anaheim at home.

So the odds are Dallas gets WC1 and we limp into WC2 and face Colorado in round 1.

Reactions: LCPreds

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The only part of the playoff picture that is not settled is the Western Conference wildcard positioning. We're one of the 2 and Dallas should be the other (and Vegas has an infinitesimal chance).

We have Colorado and Arizona in a back-to-back on the road, where we have not been playing well. And with Saros last seen limping down the tunnel. Dallas has Arizona and Anaheim at home.

So the odds are Dallas gets WC1 and we limp into WC2 and face Colorado in round 1.
Facing either flames or avs with Saros injured isn’t a good prospect. Rittich has been serviceable at times but not good enough to rely on in the playoffs. Other hopes would be Ingram comes up or Askarov signs and comes in and either play lights out

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

CRay

Feb 9, 2021
Pekks anybody? With or without Juse if this team makes it to the 2nd round it would be I think the biggest accomplishment since 17 probably bigger. Afraid that when we get bounced the narrative will be if only Juse hadnt got hurt. This team has some good pieces but are nowhere near being cup contenders.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

And frankly, a few of us have stopped posting here because of crap like this, but we haven't given up loving the Preds.

Was thinking about coming back after taking an extended break only to find garbage like this still going on on this forum.
I tend to not post after losses and almost always stay out of GDTs that are losses because of what I view as infantile reactions from so many people. It's the same ridiculous crap that's on Twitter and FB, which I also don't participate in.

It's almost impossible to objectively discuss the game (or games during such a 'horribly disappointing' stretch of .500 hockey) because everyone is throwing a tantrum. So what's the use in typing a bunch of thoughts and analysis of the games if there's no honest discussion to be had?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I've always thought of the game day threads to serve as the spot for emotional reactions to the games whereas the other discussion threads are more geared towards (at least slightly more) reasoned discussion of the team.

Also, I've tried to be better about staying out of useless arguments about posters so I'll say this and be done with it but at least some us were talking about the game and team rather than deciding to start a bunch of fights by calling people fake fans, infantile, or saying they're throwing tantrums. If you think someone is an idiot you can just ignore them and post about whatever you want to instead of turning it into three pages of meta-arguments that have nothing to do with hockey. So now I'll take my own advice and do that.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I tend to not post after losses and almost always stay out of GDTs that are losses because of what I view as infantile reactions from so many people. It's the same ridiculous crap that's on Twitter and FB, which I also don't participate in.

It's almost impossible to objectively discuss the game (or games during such a 'horribly disappointing' stretch of .500 hockey) because everyone is throwing a tantrum. So what's the use in typing a bunch of thoughts and analysis of the games if there's no honest discussion to be had?
I'm pretty sure this is why Steve always waited til the next day to post his observations(and always away from the GDT) Emotions are too high immediately after the game, especially after an absolutely devastating happenstance like the Saros injury. Usually by the next day rational analysis can be done. But to say people who make emotional statements of discouragement arent "fans" is just wrong. If they werent fans they wouldn't be emotionally involved enough to be on a message board for the team and participants in the GDT. This especially applies to posters like me who arent versed in Xs and Os and pretty much go by "feel"... and watching Saros limp down the tunnel made me feel absolute despair. And I'm sure my posts reflected that.

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Posting here about wanting the team to miss the playoffs does not mean being a fan. It is actually actively rooting AGAINST the team. We have "fans" that bail on this team on a regular basis ... no amount of emotion excuses that. The fact many of them lack the fortitude to hold a position is secondary.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Posting here about wanting the team to miss the playoffs does not mean being a fan. It is actually actively rooting AGAINST the team. We have "fans" that bail on this team on a regular basis ... no amount of emotion excuses that. The fact many of them lack the fortitude to hold a position is secondary.
No it is not. It is a poster reacting emotionally to a devastating, unexpected situation and saying something that, in 12 hours, the would probably reconsider. Raw emotion doesnt usually produce rational thought. But most humans understand that and can let something slide that was said in the heat of the moment. If they are truly "not a fan" they will leave, like Byrd did.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I've always thought of the game day threads to serve as the spot for emotional reactions to the games whereas the other discussion threads are more geared towards (at least slightly more) reasoned discussion of the team.

Also, I've tried to be better about staying out of useless arguments about posters so I'll say this and be done with it but at least some us were talking about the game and team rather than deciding to start a bunch of fights by calling people fake fans, infantile, or saying they're throwing tantrums. If you think someone is an idiot you can just ignore them and post about whatever you want to instead of turning it into three pages of meta-arguments that have nothing to do with hockey. So now I'll take my own advice and do that.
I agree, that's why I usually/try to stay away from the emotional type threads. They tend to make me even more frustrated than the result of the game. Once again, I probably shouldn't have replied but here we are.
I'm pretty sure this is why Steve always waited til the next day to post his observations. Emotions are too high immediately after the game, especially after an absolutely devastating happenstance like the Saros injury. Usually by the next day rational analysis can be done. But to say people who make iemotional statements of discouragement arent "fans" is just wrong. If they werent fans they wouldn't be emotionally involved enough to be on a message board for the team and participants in the GDT. This especially applies to posters like me who arent versed in Xs and Os and pretty much go by "feel"... and watching Saros limp down the tunnel made me feel absolute despair. And I'm sure my posts reflected that.
Yeah, everything about the way that game ended is infuriating as a fan, I get it. I didn't mean to be argumentative just adding my perspective on staying away from bad loss GDTs and away from the boards completely when things are truly going tits up. It's not that I can't handle the frustration of the team's performance, it's that I don't want to be doubly frustrated by the team and then some of the ridiculousness that is posted here.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I agree, that's why I usually/try to stay away from the emotional type threads. They tend to make me even more frustrated than the result of the game. Once again, I probably shouldn't have replied but here we are.

Yeah, everything about the way that game ended is infuriating as a fan, I get it. I didn't mean to be argumentative just adding my perspective on staying away from bad loss GDTs and away from the boards completely when things are truly going tits up. It's not that I can't handle the frustration of the team's performance, it's that I don't want to be doubly frustrated by the team and then some of the ridiculousness that is posted here.
I feel like the level of angst and "dumbness" of posts has actually significantly improved over the years. There used to be a good handful or two of posters that would only show up after bad losses, extended losing streaks, or in non-playoff years, and what we often see in the GDT now is positively enlightening by comparison. I'm sure we'll see a couple of them poke their heads in after we get bounced in the playoffs though.

Also have no issue with people saying they "don't want to see us in the playoffs" at this point. The eye test has not been kind to this team over the last several weeks and I can understand the sentiment of just wanting to turn the page on the season and look forward to next year rather than prolong the poor play with a series we would seem very likely to get clobbered in. It's a funny illustration to how expectations have evolved since the beginning of the year, where there were a lot of questions over whether we could even make it into the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

And that's completely fair, no disagreement there. I don't really post a whole lot after games win or loss.

To further this, Most people on here aren't the "normal" Twitter and FB fans though. If you're coming to a hockey message board and have been here for at least 5 years, you aren't a normal social media fan in my experience. The few people I've met on this forum in person are very much the opposite.

I would argue forums like this one actually lead to better quality conversations than those on social media for the most part, though still have their extremes that create difficulties but every platform has that.

It's ok to have differing opinions about the state/direction of a franchise. A forum is supposed to promote that kind of discussion. I have vocalized some very different opinions this year (rebuilding) than others hold and that's fine and I'm personally open to being told/shown I was wrong. What get's me is when people start throwing out proclamations of what it means to be a "real fan." That's just toxic behavior.

I've worked for the team. I've been a season ticket holder in some capacity since 06-07. Just yesterday I bought playoff tickets. I went to Dallas, I went to the outdoor game here. Despite me enjoying the current iteration of the team less than previous ones, I'm still invested in the long term success of the team.

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I've always said the GDT is for the emotional fan response, rational or not, during games and avoided it for years before finally embracing it probably during the Cup run. I like to think of it as a group of us hanging out in a sports bar watching the game together, it's just a way to feel connected as a fanbase when we can't be at the games.

I expect some, or many, bad takes. I make a lot of comments myself in the moment that turn out to be false after review or whatever.

It's best just not to take the GDT too serious, people are allowed to make regrettable posts here, nobody has to agree with it. But even those who argue against emotional responses are kind of doing so as their own emotional response. I don't think it's just a coincidence that the game ended the way it did and the GDT ended the way it did.

We'll just come back for the next one and root the Preds on to victory!

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
So tell me, which metric is it that has us now trailing Dallas but Preds are in the playoffs but Vegas can knock Dallas out but not the Preds? After points and wins I get confused.
So Vegas can theoretically tie the preds and dallas in points. However, they can get enough ROW to catch Dallas but they can't get enough to catch us. So we're in no matter what, however Dallas just needs 1 point to be in as well. Hence people saying compounding miracles. Dallas would have to lose out, Vegas would have to win everything in regulation or OT to make it now. They would tie dallas in ROW, then the tie-breakers would fall Vegas' way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad