Confirmed with Link: Flames pickup G Joey MacDonald on waivers

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Would not be surprised if Kipper is moved. Honestly, why are people here saying Irving will be traded? Hartley himself said that Irving was a bright spot in Saturday's lost, not sure why Feaster would think differently.

If a team offers something good for Irving I can see him being traded.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Lawl at taking Detroit backup backup. I was hoping this would happen since it means they are forced to keep Mzarek up now :)

Joey is ok here and there actually. This means they don't trust Irving though Imo.

fallsviewafro*

I really hope Irving doesn't get moved because of this. Him and MacDonald are even in my eyes and Irving has far greater upside and potential, not to mention he's 10 years younger.

Come on Feaster... don't **** the bed here.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Really don't like this. Irving was more than able to play the back up role in this shortened season. We could of actually given him a chance to show the organization why he deserves to play in the NHL. And through the 2 games he played he actually was fairly good. So now we either send him and Taylor down. Where Irving more then likely will sit in the press box. Or find a way to trade him and given his limited NHL action, the fact he isn't even in our AHL rotation, and he passed through waivers, there is no way his value would be fair. If he was worth something, a team would have grabbed him off waivers. If he were worth a 1st or 2nd he would of been picked off waivers. I wouldn't be surprised if we sent Irving down and he sat in the press box for the rest of the year then walked as a UFA. I hope I'm wrong though, because that's terrible treatment of a former first round pick.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
1st or 2nd + decent prospect (not saying either are possible just if they did)
As opposed to getting him free off waivers 2 weeks ago, now he is worth 1st or 2nd pick? Plus a prospect?

Nope. Maybe packaged with a Dman we could get a 2nd. Maybe.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As opposed to getting him free off waivers 2 weeks ago, now he is worth 1st or 2nd pick? Plus a prospect?

Nope. Maybe packaged with a Dman we could get a 2nd. Maybe.

Never said those were possible, also most teams didn't have room to claim him at the start of the season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Id be ok with moving him for a 1st but that isn't going to happen lol.

Agreed :laugh:

I think that if we trade a goalie it is going to be Kipper to either Wash or Stl, I think both teams know they need a goaltender (depends on how long Halak is out) and for STL Kipper only makes 1 million next season and for Wash Kipper only has 1 more year so if he can't pull them out of this spiral then they aren't stuck with a player long term.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Agreed :laugh:

I think that if we trade a goalie it is going to be Kipper to either Wash or Stl, I think both teams know they need a goaltender (depends on how long Halak is out) and for STL Kipper only makes 1 million next season and for Wash Kipper only has 1 more year so if he can't pull them out of this spiral then they aren't stuck with a player long term.

I know isn't a popular opinion, but I think if he is moved he is going to Chicago..

Something like Crawford + 2nd (1st if they make it to the finals or something.)

p_macc1987

Apr 5, 2007
Bay-View (Pictou)
I Wish Joey Mac and the Flames all the best! good move and the salary is right only making 550k, you never know some people might grow to like Mac hes a great guy

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
hmm, weird move...

I certainly don't think the acquisition of a 33-year old goalie who's spent his whole career as an AHL/NHL tweener signals the departure of Kiprusoff though.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
It's good to see Kipper skating. But that's all he did...skate. If he was returning Wednesday I'm sure he would have dropped down, made some saves, etc.

Imo he won't be back Wednesday.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
If I had to guess Feaster might be considering the option of a rebuild. Our line-up has went through a complete 180 within the span of a week. We lost Kipper, Backlund and more recently Cammalleri's been placed on IR (doesn't mean its serious but still). And also, considering that we've lost Baerstchi a week before I think upper management is preparing for a possible "back-up" plan if things go sour.

We don't know the details but Kiprusoffs injury might be more serious than we think. As @RogMillions reports: he skated today but no butterfly, knee bends or any sort of flexible movement which seems hard to believe that he will be ready for wednesday. If thats the case, I think this team is going to have a really tough time making the playoffs which may indicate the rebuild.

Im sure Feaster has received some offers for Kipper and if things do go south, he might be setting up to trade Kipper and Iggy at the trade deadline. I'd be all for this as its supposed to be a good draft and we could possibly have a really quick rebuild like the flyers did 5-6 years ago.

If we could get a 1st and prospect for Iggy and possibly another first and prospect for Kipper we could have 3 firsts for the draft which would be huge (especially if one turns out to be a top 5-10 pick).

I could see Iggy going to St.Louis and Maybe Kipper to the Flyers (Buy out Bryzgalov in the summer? :dunno:). And then if by some chance we get offered a 2nd for Stemps id be all over it.

Bottom line if theres a time to rebuild its this season. If we resign Iggy in the summer we could have pretty much the same team we have this year with possibly a Ramo/Irving tandem with an extemely improved prospect pool. Or I could just be overspeculating and MacDonald is just there to replace Taylor.

PS: things might get awkward with Irving and MacDonald :laugh:

EDIT: Another thought that comes to mind is that Feaster refused to address the media when approached. Which could mean that he's got something in the works and does not want to reveal it publicly. It must mean something because I don't see why he wouldn't come out and say its simply a depth move.

Last edited:

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
If I had to guess Feaster might be considering the option of a rebuild. Our line-up has went through a complete 180 within the span of a week. We lost Kipper, Backlund and more recently Cammalleri's been placed on IR (doesn't mean its serious but still). And also, considering that we've lost Baerstchi a week before I think upper management is preparing for a possible "back-up" plan if things go sour.

We don't know the details but Kiprusoffs injury might be more serious than we think. As @RogMillions reports: he skated today but no butterfly, knee bends or any sort of flexible movement which seems hard to believe that he will be ready for wednesday. If thats the case, I think this team is going to have a really tough time making the playoffs which may indicate the rebuild.

Im sure Feaster has received some offers for Kipper and if things do go south, he might be setting up to trade Kipper and Iggy at the trade deadline. I'd be all for this as its supposed to be a good draft and we could possibly have a really quick rebuild like the flyers did 5-6 years ago.

If we could get a 1st and prospect for Iggy and possibly another first and prospect for Kipper we could have 3 firsts for the draft which would be huge (especially if one turns out to be a top 5-10 pick).

I could see Iggy going to St.Louis and Maybe Kipper to the Flyers (Buy out Bryzgalov in the summer? :dunno:). And then if by some chance we get offered a 2nd for Stemps id be all over it.

Bottom line if theres a time to rebuild its this season. If we resign Iggy in the summer we could have pretty much the same team we have this year with possibly a Ramo/Irving tandem with an extemely improved prospect pool. Or I could just be overspeculating and MacDonald is just there to replace Taylor.

PS: things might get awkward with Irving and MacDonald :laugh:

EDIT: Another thought that comes to mind is that Feaster refused to address the media when approached. Which could mean that he's got something in the works and does not want to reveal it publicly. It must mean something because I don't see why he wouldn't come out and say its simply a depth move.

I know goalies that have fought at that level and it's entirely likely that they would laugh and BS about that time they fought, most goalies will boast about that time they were in a goalie fight and have that video if they were lucky enough to have one on their hard drive. I know my buddy brags constantly about how he fought Holtby, and Bunz lol. Goalies love this stuff, I'm sure it could only do good things for the dressing room, because unlike players who tussle with eachother all game and it breaks out into a fight, goalie fights are completely spontaneous and have nothing personal involved.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Kipper's gone for a couple more weeks, and there's a good possibility of a minor trade upcoming to free up some contracts.
Currently there's a very low end backup in Abby,

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
This is messed up. Trade Karlsson, sign Taylor, and then claim McDonald?

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Reimer went down tonight
Ship an extra goalie to the leafs
What can we get?

The moment I saw that JMac was claimed by Calgary, my thoughts turned to this:

Toronto receives Miikka Kiprusoff

Calgary receives Mikhail Grabovski or Tyler Bozak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad