Confirmed with Link: Flames pickup G Joey MacDonald on waivers

Aug 3, 2010
I guess this means Irving will be moved and the next 'in-the-system' goalie will be looked at as Ramo and Brossoit/Gillies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This is what they waste one of the last contract spots on? I think Tyrell would have been of better use.

And I don't think this necessarily means Irving is gone. They could just be unimpressed by Taylor in practices and want MacDonald as a backup. Doesn't make much sense long-term though; not unless they are trading Irving - which would be a very stupid thing to do.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This is what they waste one of the last contract spots on? I think Tyrell would have been of better use.

And I don't think this necessarily means Irving is gone. They could just be unimpressed by Taylor in practices and want MacDonald as a backup. Doesn't make much sense long-term though; not unless they are trading Irving - which would be a very stupid thing to do.

MacDonald's contract is up at the end of this year so maybe it's just depth.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Where is it said that Irving is being dumped?

Joey MacDonald IMO is being brought in to give Irving a legitimate backup while Kipper is out. I was under the opinion that if they had someone that could play in the NHL, Irving would have been pulled last game. Not because he was bad, not by a long stretch - see my other posts for my opinion on that game from him - but because I wouldn't want his confidence ruined as you could see where that game was headed. If MacDonald was there would Hartley have made a change to spark something and to get his future goalie out of the shooting gallery? Possibly. Would he have pulled Irving under any circumstances with Taylor back there? Highly unlikely, barring injury or Irving looking completely incompetent. I think this gives the Flames a better shot at winning back-backs and allows Hartley to actually coach his goaltending situation until Kipper comes back, nothing more, nothing less.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Edited my post, not fast enough though.

I guess for a backup that's serviceable. Still, this makes zero sense.

Makes plenty of sense. I'd rather have MacDonald on the bench than Taylor and I'd rather have an experienced backup in net if Irving gets pulled.

Taylor goes down to Abby. Flames get a better backup at no extra cost.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Joey MacDonald IMO is being brought in to give Irving a legitimate backup while Kipper is out. I was under the opinion that if they had someone that could play in the NHL, Irving would have been pulled last game. Not because he was bad, not by a long stretch - see my other posts for my opinion on that game from him - but because I wouldn't want his confidence ruined as you could see where that game was headed. If MacDonald was there would Hartley have made a change to spark something and to get his future goalie out of the shooting gallery? Possibly. Would he have pulled Irving under any circumstances with Taylor back there? Highly unlikely, barring injury or Irving looking completely incompetent. I think this gives the Flames a better shot at winning back-backs and allows Hartley to actually coach his goaltending situation until Kipper comes back, nothing more, nothing less.

I think that this is the main reason the move was made and that it could be a sign that Kipper will be out for longer than expected.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
Makes plenty of sense. I'd rather have MacDonald on the bench than Taylor and I'd rather have an experienced backup in net if Irving gets pulled.

Taylor goes down to Abby. Flames get a better backup at no extra cost.

Except that contract spot. What do we do when Kipper gets back? Under new rules we need to keep Mac up all season.

Need I mention Mac has just returned from a back injury? Bulging disk kept him out since march of last year.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Food for thought:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Kiprusoff skating today. If all goes well, Kiprusoff comes off IR and likely to play Wednesday. MacDonald expected to be Kiprusoff's backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad