Confirmed with Link: Flames pickup G Joey MacDonald on waivers

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
You're going to be pissed....

This really pisses me off, Irving is finally getting a chance to show his true colors to the NHL and really playing well in his opportunity and now if the Flames can't give him his 25 games, I honestly don't see any reason why he won't walk, and the Flames lose another prospect due to poor prospect management... And why would he stay, he's been nothing but a good goalie for the organization and he is constantly being ****ed around... I just don't understand... I hope he has a fantastic career somewhere...

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It's Irving's time to shine.. If he excels than there's no way he gets demoted

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
This really pisses me off, Irving is finally getting a chance to show his true colors to the NHL and really playing well in his opportunity and now if the Flames can't give him his 25 games, I honestly don't see any reason why he won't walk, and the Flames lose another prospect due to poor prospect management... And why would he stay, he's been nothing but a good goalie for the organization and he is constantly being ****ed around... I just don't understand... I hope he has a fantastic career somewhere...

You're forgetting the old bear joke. Irving doesn't have to outplay Kipper - he has to outplay MacDonald and help punt Mack back onto waivers when Kipper returns.

I don't hold Feaster in high regard as a GM but I don't think he's a turnip either.

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
So essentially Joey Mac is are starting goalie now and Irving is the backup
Then once Kipper is back - Joey Mac goes to backup and Irving back to the third string goalie out in BC in the AHL

Good young asset management Calgary :sarcasm:

When was the last time Joey Mac even started a competitive professional hockey game?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He has played well, and guess what? He is gonna get demoted. Poor management skills shown be the flames.
Can I see your crystal ball? We won't know for probably at least 2 weeks, if he plays good I can guarantee he won't be demoted.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Then once Kipper is back - Joey Mac goes to backup and Irving back to the third string goalie out in BC in the AHL

When was the last time Joey Mac even started a competitive professional hockey game?

Who said Joey Mac is the starter? No one, We needed a vet backup to be there instead of Taylor. With the way Irv has played, it's still his show.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

Did Feaster say that Mac was starting? Wow.

I could see him starting a game or two if Kipper was out longer then people expect but turning him into a starter would be seriously off the grid - even for the Flames.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Feaster himself has said he like what Irving has done and the backup position behind Kipper has yet to be decided, Irving and Joey Mac will have to fight for it.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Did Feaster say that Mac was starting? Wow.

I could see him starting a game or two if Kipper was out longer then people expect but turning him into a starter would be seriously off the grid - even for the Flames.

Yeah, Joey Mac won't be the starter in place of Irving... He hasn't played a game in nearly a year, and Irving has been great. We won't see Kipper until at least the 26th at the earliest, I think, so we have plenty more time to see Irving. If he continues to play the way he has been, I have no doubt he'll be staying with the team.

Trae

Calgary
I like this move. Sounds like if MacDonald was available earlier then Taylor would not have an NHL contract right now. Healthy competition for Irving is good and should push him even more to prove he's the guy. He's been pushed to third string before and I'm sure he's not going to let it happen again, easy to believe Feaster feels the same way. MacDonald is simply a depth move and will ultimately be the third guy all season long. He'll probably play his first and maybe only game of the season on our next back to back set of games next week.

On another note, would have liked to see Reinhart get the call over Byron, oh well.

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
Yeah, Joey Mac won't be the starter in place of Irving... He hasn't played a game in nearly a year, and Irving has been great. We won't see Kipper until at least the 26th at the earliest, I think, so we have plenty more time to see Irving. If he continues to play the way he has been, I have no doubt he'll be staying with the team.

But after Kipper comes back in two weeks will the team be forced to carry 3 goalies then?

Joey Mac has to stay on the active roster 30 days as he was claimed so you can't send him down.

If Irving continues his awesome play and he beats out Joey Mac for the backup when Kipper comes back - you probably don't want to send him down especially with the fear he might get picked up on waivers.

So I guess the Flames would have to carry 3 goalies for a couple of weeks in this situation? I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world. Although whoever gets sent down is probably not going to be happy as there isn't a lot of room in Abbsortford either.

Should be some competition I guess over the next couple of weeks who is the teams #2 goalie

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
But after Kipper comes back in two weeks will the team be forced to carry 3 goalies then?

Joey Mac has to stay on the active roster 30 days as he was claimed so you can't send him down.

If Irving continues his awesome play and he beats out Joey Mac for the backup when Kipper comes back - you probably don't want to send him down especially with the fear he might get picked up on waivers.

So I guess the Flames would have to carry 3 goalies for a couple of weeks in this situation? I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world. Although whoever gets sent down is probably not going to be happy as there isn't a lot of room in Abbsortford either.

Should be some competition I guess over the next couple of weeks who is the teams #2 goalie

I honestly believe Irving has the opportunity now to prove he's the number 1 goalie now, if Kipper comes back and the team is winning and he struggles in any way, you have to go with the hot hand, it's about winning not about keeping Kipper happy.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Who knows if Feaster's even right about this one. For all we know Kipper could miss 3-4 weeks. Either way I don't see Irving not starting on Wednesday, or Friday. MacDonald will probably get his chance to play on a back to back, but I think the organization is happy with Irving's play and he should be our starter on most nights

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Good thing Hartley is in charge of lines. Hopefully he has the best Flame the past 3 games in between the pipes for his 4th straight start.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think this press conference shows, and this is just how I read it...it shows that they want Irving as the backup, but are not sold on him.

Mac is insurance in case they do feel he needs to be moved.

I think its a good sign, and I don't think this means Irving is gone when Kipper is back. If Irving plays well I think he will stick.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC

Just a thought, we do have a compliance buyout so if MacDonald is the odd man out we can just buy him out. Given that we have two and theres not really anyone I can see us buying out, this would be a good idea

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Just a thought, we do have a compliance buyout so if MacDonald is the odd man out we can just buy him out. Given that we have two and theres not really anyone I can see us buying out, this would be a good idea

Possibly Comeau, if his play doesn't improve. The roster looks awfully crowded when all of our forwards are healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad