Confirmed with Link: Flames pickup G Joey MacDonald on waivers

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Kiprusoff skating today. If all goes well, Kiprusoff comes off IR and likely to play Wednesday. MacDonald expected to be Kiprusoff's backup.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I truely believe Irving will be packaged in a trade this year. When kipps is back, MacD will be his backup, and Irving will be sent packing. Why give up on him? Cuz we have Ramo and other goalies that can compete next year.

Irving could put us over the top in a packaged deal for a legit Centerman. Sad to see but this kid has been in the crap system of having an elite goalie who plays 70+ games per year.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I truely believe Irving will be packaged in a trade this year. When kipps is back, MacD will be his backup, and Irving will be sent packing. Why give up on him? Cuz we have Ramo and other goalies that can compete next year.

Irving could put us over the top in a packaged deal for a legit Centerman. Sad to see but this kid has been in the crap system of having an elite goalie who plays 70+ games per year.

MacDonald would be a better backup for Kipper and Irving does deserve a shot in an organization that will give him the minutes and coaching he needs. It could be win/win.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
In other news, Cammy and Baertschi are skating. Looks like a substantially healthier line up for wednesday.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
After reading Bobby Mac's tweet, that opportunity will likely be with another organization.

I thought it was a signing to send Taylor back to Abbotsford and get Irving an NHL ready backup. If MacDonald does be one Kippers backup, it's a waste of a contract spot.

We will see what happens.

Aug 3, 2010
I thought it was a signing to send Taylor back to Abbotsford and get Irving an NHL ready backup. If MacDonald does be one Kippers backup, it's a waste of a contract spot.

We will see what happens.

MacDonald's only signed for this season. I don't see the Flames acquiring TWO signed roster players this season. More likely, picks.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Food for thought:

Wow. Just when you think this organization couldn't be anymore of a joke.

Can seriously be scapegoating the Vancouver loss on Irving? It makes absolutely no sense to believe the Flames need a better back up at this point.

But yes, it looks like Irving is gone. It's a real shame the way the organization handled him.

Sep 13, 2009

Irving cleared waivers at the start of the season, he won't be packaged for anything. That being said, I don't think he deserves to be demoted either.

Typical Flames move to pick a veteran over a youngster.

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
So to sum up and please clarify if I have gotten this wrong but
- Joey Mac has to stay on the Flames roster for the rest of the season as he was claimed off waivers? Or because he was injured that is not the case?
- Irving can be sent back down to the AHL without having to go through waivers?
- So for tonight's game Irving gets the start and Taylor is still the backup?
- But for Weds game it could be Kipper getting the start and Joey Mac as the backup?

When was the last time Joey Mac played a game? Seems like a strange backup decision given he hasn't played in forever and the decent play of Irving over the last few games in my opinion.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
This could open up some room for a Kipper trade? Ramo is coming in next year right? If were out at the deadline then?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So to sum up and please clarify if I have gotten this wrong but
- Joey Mac has to stay on the Flames roster for the rest of the season as he was claimed off waivers? Or because he was injured that is not the case?
- Irving can be sent back down to the AHL without having to go through waivers?
- So for tonight's game Irving gets the start and Taylor is still the backup?
- But for Weds game it could be Kipper getting the start and Joey Mac as the backup?

When was the last time Joey Mac played a game? Seems like a strange backup decision given he hasn't played in forever and the decent play of Irving over the last few games in my opinion.

- MacDonald must remain on the active roster for 30 days
- Irving can be sent to the AHL, but I think after 30 days he must clear waivers again
- For tonight, barring weirdness, Irving gets the start with Taylor as backup as I don't think MacDonald could get here in time for the pre-game skate.
- I believe Kipper must remain on IR for 7 days, so he may not be eligible for Wednesday's game.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I'm sure Feaster isn't just using a magic 8-Ball to run a multi-million dollar franchise.

That said, I have a feeling both Irving and Kipps might be moved at some point this year. I think the rebuild is becoming more apparent as this season chugs along. This is the deepest draft in 15 years so I can see Feaster stockpiling picks like crazy.

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
This could open up some room for a Kipper trade? Ramo is coming in next year right? If were out at the deadline then?

Interesting theory
Flames go with a Irving/Joey Mac combo after they trade Kipper
Then after the year, depending on who performs better, sign one of them and then next year go with a tandem of Ramo and Irving or Joey Mac
You could be on to something

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I'm sure Feaster isn't just using a magic 8-Ball to run a multi-million dollar franchise.

That said, I have a feeling both Irving and Kipps might be moved at some point this year. I think the rebuild is becoming more apparent as this season chugs along. This is the deepest draft in 15 years so I can see Feaster stockpiling picks like crazy.

And in saying this, the Flames jut got the first look at a team without Kipper. First time in 9 years. So I can see them moving on.... He only has one season left, then he is a goner.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Please stop perpetuating this myth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad