GDT: Flames @ Jets | The Legend of Calgary: Majooris Mask | Saturday 1 PM MT|SN|

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
You guys are way worse than us at resting starters. Who was even out for you guys? Myers/Ladd/Little/Wheeler/Perrault?

For us it was Russell/Wideman/Russell/Gaudreau/Monahan/Hudler/Jones. By the rules of high school, we win because we cared less than you did.

It doesn't really matter either way. It had the intensity of a preseason game and means nothing.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Flames-bench-April-11-300x200.jpg

Flames post-game audio: Coach Hartley, Sam Bennett and John Ramage.

To listen click here.

As an aside very happy for you guys to have gotten in. Good luck.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Make that -5. :laugh:

Yeah, Colborne seems like a really great guy and everything, but man has he ever fallen out of favour with me as a player in recent weeks.. a lot of it has to do with my expectations that he'd progress as the season went on (and to be fair, he does use his size out there now to an extent), but he's plateau'd at best, and has arguably taken a step back; I still catch him floating way too much and just doesn't play with the same edge as well, pretty much everyone else on the team. I know this game didn't mean a whole lot, but at the same time, with all the youngsters playing today I would just expect a relative vet like Colborne to set a better example (-5, zero SOG).. a win today might have been a huge boost going into the ploffs.

That said, I am 100% all aboard the Fer-train. This kid has really looked exceptional as of late, and is gaining a tremendous amount of confidence with each game. If he can keep his physicality honest, and not take too many bad penalties, I'd have absolutely no qualms about keeping him in the lineup as a regular for the run. Schlemko has really impressed me too, lots of jump to his game, and plays both ends of the rink well.

I'm not sure if was solely attributed to there being nothing really on the line for this one, but a few guys just looked somewhat uninspired out there today; a fair bit of poor puck movement and a lot of guys gripping their sticks a little too tight it seemed.. as for the young guys, could've just been nerves, but guys like Colborne and Granlund were definitely not at their best today, save maybe for Joe's one rush towards the end of the game there. I didn't think Bennett looked out of place, he was definitely playing with something to prove. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in the lineup during ploffs at some point.

And what to say about Ortio, geez.. he really got hung out to dry on a couple today IMO, but you just know that first one sank him, and the quick response to our goal gave the Jets the boost they needed to keep pushing.

Also, what's the deal with Hartley not giving Poirier much time? Jeez, with guys like Joe on the ice for every Jets score, you'd think Emile would have at least more than one-third of Colborne's TOI. I just hope we don't have another Svendetta on our hands.. I actually think Poirier can be a special player.

As an aside, I know Backlund kept playing after blocking that shot, but did anyone hear mention of a possible injury?

Anyways, hopefully all of our regulars are rested and ready to go for Round #1. Still concerned about our D holding up over the long haul, but I think Engelland has really stepped up, and has actually looked comfortable in a top-four role at times. Here's who I hope to see for our Game #1 starting lineup:

Johnny - Monny - Huds
Bouma - Backs - Jones
Ferdaddy - GranMa/Bennett - Jooris
Raymond - Stajan - Colborne

Russell - Wideman
Engelland - Brodie
Schlemko - Diaz

Hiller

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Poirier is the new Sven. Which is too bad since I think Poirier can be a real good 1st line power forward.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
My impression on Colborne is that I refuse to judge him based on his current play alongside Raymond. Similar to how we noticed lines consistently looking bad earlier in the year when Setoguchi was on the wing, right now Raymond is sucking the life out of his line, and has been for some time. Backlund, Colborne and Bennett took a few shifts together in the second and looked great. Colborne was doing his thing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I missed today's game completely, and maybe I'm missing something but I've really liked Colborne the last few games I've seen.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I missed today's game completely, and maybe I'm missing something but I've really liked Colborne the last few games I've seen.

In all fairness, he was pretty good vs L.A., but then again, the whole team played excellent. He potted the one goal against the Oilers (who he seems to enjoy playing against), but I've personally found his overall play to be largely inconsistent from one game to the next, to the point where it's almost like a crapshoot in determining which version of Colborne we can expect to see. Sometimes it doesn't matter so much what he does offensively for the little things he's learned to do away from the puck, but other nights he's just been downright ineffective IMO. I may have once thought him to be a decent top-six option, and he may actually still step in and do an alright job when called upon, but I think I actually prefer him on the "fourth line" with Stajan and Raymond, 15 mins a night tops. I'll take Bouma in our top-six right now over Colborne ten times out of ten, and Ferland-Granlund-Jooris have proven that they deserve key minutes as well. We'll see what kind of experience Colborne can derive from a playoff run, and what kind of positive impact it can have on his game moving forward, but as it stands right now, I see him as a relative "weak link" and a potential future trade chip. I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I hate using this as an excuse, but I think I was right about Smid, but I wonder if Colborne is injured? I doubt there are few who aren't banged up right now, but earlier in the year Colborne was quite good. I do admit that overall that over the last 4-5 weeks his play has slipped, and I'm wondering if something is hampering him?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I hate using this as an excuse, but I think I was right about Smid, but I wonder if Colborne is injured? I doubt there are few who aren't banged up right now, but earlier in the year Colborne was quite good. I do admit that overall that over the last 4-5 weeks his play has slipped, and I'm wondering if something is hampering him?

If he was actually hurt then I suspect he wouldn't have played yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad