Confirmed with Link: Flames do not qualify nine players, including Joe Colborne

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Unless we still sign some of the guys who didn't get QOs there are a lot of holes in our AHL forward line up. Who do we have back now? I think Hathaway and Shinkaruk are on the big club next year. Freddie might have a shot.

Jankowski
Poirier
Pribyl
Mangiapane
Klimchuk
Pollock
Hamilton

Is Karnaukhov AHL eligible next year?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Unless we still sign some of the guys who didn't get QOs there are a lot of holes in our AHL forward line up. Who do we have back now? I think Hathaway and Shinkaruk are on the big club next year. Freddie might have a shot.

Jankowski
Poirier
Pribyl
Mangiapane
Klimchuk
Pollock
Hamilton

The team will bring in others guys as well. We aren't going to fill it all up with prospects.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm not sure why people are in shock. No standout names in the list.

They are replaceable players.

Because people are starting to overhype our young players and prospects?

Colborne and Ortio makes sense I guess, if you think about arbitration. The fact they are worried about that for Joe makes me happy, means they won't overpay him.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Well, letting Arnold and Agostino walk leaves some sizeable holes in our AHL lineup.

Of course they are replaceable, but with who? Will those replacements really be better/project to maybe play in the NHL? Just seems odd to me.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Jankowski
Poirier
Pribyl
Mangiapane
Klimchuk
Pollock
Hamilton

Don't think so.

But you can also add Hunter Smith, Austin Carroll, and maybe Hathaway to the list of forwards. Shinkaruk will probably start with the Heat, although the Colborne situation might change that.

Also Raymond and maybe Bollig too (although that's probably wishful thinking).

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Jankowski
Poirier
Pribyl
Mangiapane
Klimchuk
Pollock
Hamilton

Looking around the league, many teams are leaving a significant number of decent players unqualified. There will be enough guys to go around, as always. All not qualifying does is remove the mandatory, at-times undeserved raises that these guys would get.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Because people are starting to overhype our young players and prospects?

Colborne and Ortio makes sense I guess, if you think about arbitration. The fact they are worried about that for Joe makes me happy, means they won't overpay him.

Including management? Or is that a jab at some fans?

Obviously they don't value them greatly. I mean, other than the Flamaes a bunch of teams did it as well. Like I said replaceable guys. It also frees up contract spots.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Chiasson replaces Colborne ... plus he's a rh shot which Colborne wasn't

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Including management? Or is that a jab at some fans?

Obviously they don't value them greatly. I mean, other than the Flames a bunch of teams did it as well. Like I said replaceable guys. It also frees up contract spots.

No entirely on us as fans.

Just something I've noted is happening with more and more frequency. Young guys who have no experience or little NHL experience are magically going to be better than veterans with hundreds of games. Don't get me wrong, if youngsters earn the spots, screw the vets. But a lot of people seem to be riding the high of prospects and youth automatically being better.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Anyone want to peel back the clock on that Iggy trade. Remember how some of us were called out for not being impressed by Agostino? How he was a major piece versus a throw in?

There she goes. Officially, Jay Feaster parlayed:
Jarome Iginla (1st ballot HOF'er)
Jay Bouwmeester (still a top pairing, at worst #3 guy)

into:

Morgan Klimchuk
Emile Poirier
Hunter Smith

Some asset management right there.
While there are still three prospects there who could pan out alright, ****, it would have been a lot nicer having just an A prospect out of someone versus the picks that were treated like gold that year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I still think Hathaway is going to play on the 3rd line this year anyways.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Flames moving on from a lot of previous managements picks. A lot of teams have a decent list of non qualified players.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Anyone want to peel back the clock on that Iggy trade. Remember how some of us were called out for not being impressed by Agostino? How he was a major piece versus a throw in?

into:

Morgan Klimchuk
Emile Poirier
Hunter Smith

While there are still three prospects there who could pan out alright, ****, it would have been a lot nicer having just an A prospect out of someone versus the picks that were treated like gold that year.

Unfortunately, when we did trade Iginla, his value was not as a HOF-worthy All-star winger. So calling him that is naturally misleading. We traded a top-6 winger for a first and two B-prospects. Pretty standard price.

People always talk about Klimchuk needing to continue the Nieuwendyk->Iginla-> cycle, but it's extremely unfair. Nieuwendyk was approximately half-way through his career when he was traded, and had way higher value; hence why he netted the Flames a top prospect. The time in Iggy's career when he was traded was more comparable to the time when Nieuwendyk went from Dallas to New Jersey. And that's without factoring the amount of leaked information which weakened Feaster's position.

Bouwmeester's deal was better, considering that two of the three pieces are still factors.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Unfortunately, when we did trade Iginla, his value was not as a HOF-worthy All-star winger. So calling him that is naturally misleading. We traded a top-6 winger for a first and two B-prospects. Pretty standard price.
It's rare guys with great reputation past their prime gets a poor return like Iginla did so Volica's point is very fair.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Yes they are, people get to attached to these names. When you have lots of prospect depth, this is what happens. Not every player you draft makes it, maybe one or 2 per draft, if you're lucky. Cutting lose about 5-6 players sounds about right.

To bad Arnold and Shore didn't make the cut, but really not surprising. I think both are on the path to Bustville.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Happy to see Freddy qualified, I actually prefer him to Hathaway in our lineup next year.

Some of the others not qualified seem surprising. I mean, they may be replaceable but you just lost 4 of your 8 top scorers in the AHL.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

into:

Morgan Klimchuk
Emile Poirier
Hunter Smith

Dont blame it all on Feaster

Those are pretty high picks. The scouts should be able to take advantage of

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Shaw's a decent comparable to Colborne. Shaw has the better playoff resume, age, defensive awareness, the RHS, and a better motor while Colborne has tallness, better offensive skills, faceoffs, shootouts and 100 points in charm to delude people into thinking he can still play centre/top six. Regular season stats are pretty close and both are third liners more or less.

If Colborne's camp see this as a comparable, then he's as good as gone. Could see a team like the Devils (they don't care about advanced stats do they?) giving Colborne a similar offer. Benning might definitely if they miss out on Lucic/Eriksson.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The return for Russell was pretty much better than what we got for Jbo. Feaster was not good at trades, a major reason he's gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad