Confirmed with Link: Flames do not qualify nine players, including Joe Colborne

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
CALGARY, AB -- The Calgary Flames announced today that the following four players have received qualifying offers from the club:

Johnny Gaudreau (LW)

Freddie Hamilton (C)

Sean Monahan (C)

Tyler Wotherspoon (D)

The following players did not receive qualifying offers:

Kenny Agostino (LW)

Bill Arnold (C)

Joe Colborne (C)

Turner Elson (LW)

Josh Jooris (C)

Joni Ortio (G)

Kevin Poulin (G)

Drew Shore (C)

Bryce Van Brabant (LW)

Wow. Colborne and Ortio no QO's. Doesn't mean we won't sign them, just that we don't want them at QO prices.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Woah. Treliving's on the fan960 right now; said he still wants to re-sign Colborne, Jooris and Ortio. Specific reason was wanting to avoid arbitration.

Everyone else is gone. Treliving cites incoming graduation of junior level prospects as the reason why. Also Pribyl.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Woah. Treliving's on the fan960 right now; said he still wants to re-sign Colborne, Jooris and Ortio.

Everyone else is gone.

That low-ceiling pinch, I guess. Every dollar counts, and as far as I remember, qualifying offers give a mandatory raise.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Millions is talking about arbitration regarding Colborne, but I think he's just misunderstanding his sources. If they didn't qualify him, arbitration is off the table, isn't it? What Sportak says seems to indicate that Colborne was not qualified because he would have headed to arbitration.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Millions is talking about arbitration regarding Colborne, but I think he's just misunderstanding his sources. If they didn't qualify him, arbitration is off the table, isn't it? What Sportak says seems to indicate that Colborne was not qualified because he would have headed to arbitration.
Millions being Millions. Sportak is correct.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Bummed Arnold isn't qualified. Always thought he could be the perfect 4C. with Colborne not being qualified what does that mean? We are definitely trading him? Or definitely signing him?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Bummed Arnold isn't qualified. Always thought he could be the perfect 4C. with Colborne not being qualified what does that mean? We are definitely trading him? Or definitely signing him?

We're still trying to sign him, but weren't willing to give him what arbitration would award him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Flames don't have the rights to Colborne anymore, so no trading him. Either he re-signs or walks and signs with any other team on July 1st. Clearly, management doesn't value him or any of the other non-qualified players all that much given what they're risking.

As for Arnold, the writing was on the wall. The fact that he wasn't called up and given a cup of coffee at the end of season indicated what the organization thought of him. Guessing F.Hamilton made him redundant in their eyes, or he was only ever signed to placate Gaudreau. I agree that it's disappointing but I guess it frees up a ton of spots for incoming junior, college and overseas level prospects. But hilariously enough, the defense is still terribly overcrowded.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Should we expect a UFA winger now?

Gaudreau - Monahan - UFA
Shinkaruk/Tkachuk - Bennett - Frolik
Ferland - Backlund - Pribyl/Shinkaruk/Tkachuk
Bouma - Stajan - Chiasson
Bollig Raymond

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I know a lot of people have a hard on for Joe but, I did not think he could replicate what he did last year personally and I did not want to pay him.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
I know a lot of people have a hard on for Joe but, I did not think he could replicate what he did last year personally and I did not want to pay him.

Ill take a risk on Chiasson at 800k over Colborne at 3mil+. Gives us a couple million to work with towards acquiring a legit top 6 winger.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Flames don't have the rights to Colborne anymore, so no trading him. Either he re-signs or walks and signs with any other team on July 1st. Clearly, management doesn't value him or any of the other non-qualified players all that much given what they're risking.

As for Arnold, the writing was on the wall. The fact that he wasn't called up and given a cup of coffee at the end of season indicated what the organization thought of him. Guessing F.Hamilton made him redundant in their eyes, or he was only ever signed to placate Gaudreau. I agree that it's disappointing but I guess it frees up a ton of spots for incoming junior, college and overseas level prospects. But hilariously enough, the defense is still terribly overcrowded.

I believe we still do have exclusive rights to re-sign Colborne until July 1st. But the value in terms of trade is zero, because the UFA courting window is open.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Shore was mediocre incarnate.

I'd expect Jooris and Ortio to be brought back. Jooris is actually a useful player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad