GDT: Flames at Oilers, October 4 2017, 8:00 MT, Sportsnet

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Can’t say anyone besides smith played great. Hamonic and stone looked steady, Bennett looked okay, same with the backlund line. The top line and top pairing were pedestrian.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Not going to overreact cause it's just 1 game.
Here's a few thoughts from me:
Smith played amazing, neither goal was his fault and without him playing the way he was this game would easily have been 5-0.
Gully and the coaching staff had a few questionable decisions; not matching the 3M line against McDavid, playing Bartkowski over Kulak, having Brouwer out there at the end of the game.
Besides the 1 shift they were hemmed in, I thought the 4th line did a good job. Seeing how soft we were compared to Edmonton kind of made me glad we signed Glass.
Winnipeg is going to come motivated on Sat after the spanking they got today, so we better be motivated too otherwise it'll be more of what happened today.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Smith kept us in that game longer than we deserved
Smith was solid, but he wasn't being hung out.

I would say he was under siege. He was just getting a lot of shots, but not great quality.

But, of course, the biggest problem with being under siege is you don't get much opportunity to attack yourself. Have to be better when we get the puck. Inexcusable how much standing around there was, or gliding in on the rush, waiting for the play to happen.

Still, though. We had a few really good opportunities develop. Could have gone differently (but probably wouldn't've). I'm just glad this one is over. This team did not look in pre-season like a team ready to start the season.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
oh man i just had the biggest laugh of my entire life

went to corsica to see what the new site was like and check out their live game stats, go to check the xGF% of every player.

I sort the category bottom to top, see Bennett, Versteeg, Brodie, Hamonic, etc at like 14-25% xGF%, i.e. awful

And I'm wondering where the heck Brouwer is since he was also trash tonight, he's gotta be down here somewhere

I then sort the category top to bottom and guess who's on top! Brouwer with an 8.93% xGF%

The sort mechanism is messed up and is sorting from the left most digit

Unreal how bad Brouwer is

McDingus's line and their top pair were all right around 80% xGF%

Reactions: Flameshomer
Sep 13, 2009
I curse Gary Bettman and the National Hockey League everyday for gifting the Oilers McDavid. The Battle of Alberta will be lopsided in their favor for the next 10-15 years.

Foxtrot Yankee Gary! :mad:

Reactions: 5cupstandard

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe the offense still thinks they are still in the preseason

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
All in all, I just want people to not fly off the handle after one game. It's possible that Edmonton is the league's best team this season, and that this happens to be the worst game we play all year. You can't know at this point. Or this could be a sign of things to come.

Either way, none of us expected to win, did we? It's opening night, and this team doesn't like to start the season on time.

Reactions: JurassicTunga

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
All in all, I just want people to not fly off the handle after one game. It's possible that Edmonton is the league's best team this season, and that this happens to be the worst game we play all year. You can't know at this point. Or this could be a sign of things to come.

Either way, none of us expected to win, did we? It's opening night, and this team doesn't like to start the season on time.

Agreed. It is kinda funny reading the main boards during the season opening games and people drawing conclusions after the first game....

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If anyone ever defends Brouwer again they deserve to be banned.

Beyond awful. Yeah, I'm going to pass the puck into the middle of the ice in my own zone when my team has an open net and Connor McDavid is in the vicinity. hey, I'm on the boards in my own zone, let's clear the puck out by shooting it at the opponents skate rather than using the boards where my teammate is, oh oops now we're hemmed in and McDavid is on the ice.

And Glen Gulutzan needs to be fired already, same trash breakout as last year, never adjusts in game if things aren't working and for some f***ed up reason, Troy Browuer is on the ice in a 6-5 situation with 2 minutes left in the game. If Janko isn't in on Saturday and Troy Brouwer is, I'm going to lose my mind (I have already reserved to losing it, because I know I'm going to see 36 out there doing f*** all).

And as useless as he was, he wasn't even the worst player out there, that'd be Brodie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We were middle of the pack last year. Not anemic.

And I'm pretty sure well above average 5-on-5.
16th in GF, 20th at ESG, 9th in PPG

Brouwer looks worse than last tear, if at all possible
I love how people keep spouting this crap, the guy actually played pretty well if you weren't sitting there trying to dissect him game because you hate him.

We should give Brouwer a second chance guys... or is this his third? Fourth?

tenor.gif
Troll much?

I can't stop laughing at Brouwer just getting absolutely destroyed by Lucic there
Laughing when a member of your own team is getting destroyed? Says alot about you as a fan.

Brouwer is on another level of bad
Ah Corsi, where people that don't understand the game go for information.

It's amazing that Bennett is being praised like a f***ing god tonight and Brouwer being shit on when they were two of the better players most of the game. Those "giveaways" were unfortunate bounces of skates, why the defenseman was already trying to pinch on the empty net is beyond me, he got in the way of the puck being cleared. And on teh first one Brodie left McDavid of all people alone in the slot, but yes let's only blame Brouwer. The amount of stupidity in here is downright f***ing astonishing sometimes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If anyone ever defends Brouwer again they deserve to be banned.

Beyond awful. Yeah, I'm going to pass the puck into the middle of the ice in my own zone when my team has an open net and Connor McDavid is in the vicinity. hey, I'm on the boards in my own zone, let's clear the puck out by shooting it at the opponents skate rather than using the boards where my teammate is, oh oops now we're hemmed in and McDavid is on the ice.

And Glen Gulutzan needs to be fired already, same trash breakout as last year, never adjusts in game if things aren't working and for some ****ed up reason, Troy Browuer is on the ice in a 6-5 situation with 2 minutes left in the game. If Janko isn't in on Saturday and Troy Brouwer is, I'm going to lose my mind (I have already reserved to losing it, because I know I'm going to see 36 out there doing **** all).

And as useless as he was, he wasn't even the worst player out there, that'd be Brodie.
People who sit there and dissect a players game because they hate him should be the ones banned. Two bad bounces and he's the worst player on the ice and not even an NHLer. The fact you shit on people for defending our players is reprehensible and disgusting, you shodl be ashamed of yourself and your so called fandom.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Brouwer may not have been as awful as some have said but he was no where near one of the better players out there, he was bad. Luckily for him so was the majority of the team so it didn't stick out as much as usual.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
I could stomach Brouwer being awful if our so called stars Gio Hamilton Brodie Johnny and Monahan did something...anything.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I could stomach Brouwer being awful if our so called stars Gio Hamilton Brodie Johnny and Monahan did something...anything.
Brodie was the only one of those guys who had a particularly rough game. Monahan's line spent a ton of time against McDavid's, and even though they couldn't do much offensively they also did a relatively good job of keeping him away from the net.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah, end of the day, same old same old. When the whole forward corps (outside of a few moments of the 3M line, Bennett and Hathaway) is standing still all game, Brouwer gets the blame as the poster-boy.

Reactions: Method Man

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Brodie was the only one of those guys who had a particularly rough game. Monahan's line spent a ton of time against McDavid's, and even though they couldn't do much offensively they also did a relatively good job of keeping him away from the net.
The strong game they played defensively doesn't make up for the complete lack of drive they had on the rush for most of the night. Not just at the beginning of their shift, either.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Yeah, end of the day, same old same old. When the whole forward corps (outside of a few moments of the 3M line, Bennett and Hathaway) is standing still all game, Brouwer gets the blame as the poster-boy.

Brouwer's turnovers led to 2 goals against but let's forget about that because Brouwer gets hated on too much

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Brouwer's turnovers led to 2 goals against but let's forget about that because Brouwer gets hated on too much
No, don't forget them. But also don't forget everyone else.

I'm not the one saying he had a good game. First goal was on him in my opinion. The empty-netter was a collective effort. Puck came to him on the boards, and he's got no options. Meh. They weren't winning at that point.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No, don't forget them. But also don't forget everyone else.

I'm not the one saying he had a good game. First goal was on him in my opinion. The empty-netter was a collective effort. Puck came to him on the boards, and he's got no options. Meh. They weren't winning at that point.
The first goal was as much on Brodie as Brouwer. He stood there looking stupid with McDavid floating around the slot.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The first goal was as much on Brodie as Brouwer. He stood there looking stupid with McDavid floating around the slot.
Well, the team had been on the ice for a long time there, so that's the effect of fatigue. Brouwer got the puck behind our net with time with everyone tired as f***, and ended up, similarly to the empty-netter, wiring it off someone's skates for a turnover. Unlike the empty-netter, that's a situation where the priority needs to be relieving pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad