GDT: Flames at Oilers, October 4 2017, 8:00 MT, Sportsnet

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I know it's only one game of the season, but the standouts to me last night were:
Smith; Obvious reasons
Bennett; That motor is amazing, was looking dangerous all night
Tkachuk; Looked strong, missed a couple golden chances
Hamonic; Came as advertised

I really wouldn't be opposed to moving Gaudreau with Bennett to create some more favourable match-ups.
A line-up with:
Gaudreau - Bennett - Jagr
Ferland - Monahan - Versteeg
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Glass - Stajan - Lazar

Would be something I'd be interested in.
If our offense continues to be putrid going forward, I'd try to load up the first line. Don't wanna break up Monahan and Gaudreau, but Sean has proven he can score with anyone.

Tkachuk-Bennett-Gaudreau
Frolik-Backlund-Jagr
Versteeg-Monahan-Ferland
Stajan-Janko-whatever

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
How did Hamonic play?
Solid, hard to tell because we played pretty bad as a team, but he was a bright spot for me, no blunders defensively and he joined the rush and made a few good plays here and there. You can tell he's still settling in, but his skillset is meshing very well so far.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
If our offense continues to be putrid going forward, I'd try to load up the first line. Don't wanna break up Monahan and Gaudreau, but Sean has proven he can score with anyone.

Tkachuk-Bennett-Gaudreau
Frolik-Backlund-Jagr
Versteeg-Monahan-Ferland
Stajan-Janko-whatever

Gaudreau - Bennett - Jagr
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
It's only one game. It's a long season. I'm not worried about it. I was really impressed with Mike Smith last night. If it wasn't for him, if we still had Elliot it probably would have been Edmonton 10-0.

The Flames are known to start the season slow. I'm not sure why but that's what it is. The Flames will soon warm up and they will be fine.

Reactions: Anglesmith

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Nope. One game doesn't trump all of last season. Last night was pathetic offensively, but it's not the norm for this team based on team record.

What exactly was so good about last season offensively? The run they went on that quickly ended when we needed them most?

This team isn't going any where without Gaudreau playing like Kane instead of playing like Huselius. It's either Glen Gulutzans game plan that has stifled him or it's the league has figured him out.

I don't know which is worse but I guarantee nothing changes until you get bottom 6 plugs like Michael Ferland off his line.

You have a sample size of a hole year of him struggling to play at the level we need him to. Yet he goes to the World Championship and the old Gaudreau is back.

It's either the system, the lack of help or he's been figured out by NHL level defenseman.

None of those are encouraging and Treliving needs to get him help or this team will flounder this season. FFS he was dumping the puck yesterday.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What exactly was so good about last season offensively? The run they went on that quickly ended when we needed them most
It didn't end when we needed it most. What do you mean? Flames played great in the playoffs last year. Problem was that every good thing we did was cancelled out by Elliott.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
We don't need to shake up our lines after one loss against pretty much just McDavid. We know Gio-Hamilton is a top d-pair, Brodie and Hamonic are talented and will develop their chemistry, the bottom pairing will always be a rotating pair so it really doesn't matter if it's Bart or Kulak in a this point.

As for the forwards, they will also start gelling. It's more or less the same team as last year so there is no need to change things until there is a trend of poor play. Except for Brouwer, he should be replaced as quickly as possible.

Reactions: Anglesmith

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Watching CMD is a treat. But watching him doing what he does against us is all:

giphy.gif

TBH, I don't agree with many posters saying there wasn't effort. IMO, there was a heck of a lot more confusion than lack of effort. We'll be fine once we get into stride.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
How does this team always so confused to start the year?

Why is Gaudreau playing dump and chase?

Why is Ferland on the top line?

Why is Brodie playing on the wrong side even though its clear he f***ing sucks on that side?

These are the questions we need to answer.

:)

Reactions: Sk8M8

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Watching CMD is a treat. But watching him doing what he does against us is all:

giphy.gif

TBH, I don't agree with many posters saying there wasn't effort. IMO, there was a heck of a lot more confusion than lack of effort. We'll be fine once we get into stride.

I would agree, but after that 2-0 goal, suddenly Monahan and Gaudreau decided to grow some balls and go for it and made a nice, dangerous play. That tells me, either A) they're being handcuffed by the system or B) their heads weren't in the game. Both are no good. Just putting your effort into mindlessly trying to follow the system is no Bueno, this guys have to want it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
How does this team always so confused to start the year?

Why is Gaudreau playing dump and chase?

Why is Ferland on the top line?

Why is Brodie playing on the wrong side even though its clear he ****ing sucks on that side?

These are the questions we need to answer.

:)

For what it's worth, I agree with you about how frustrating it is that Gaudreau looks great in every situation except with the Flames. Looks great at the ASG, looks great at the WC, then looks different with the Flames. I'm not quick to look for a reason for that in the system we're playing, though, nor for his linemates, because unlike Bennett, he wasn't pulling his weight as far as moving his feet goes.

Systematically, the Flames' forwards were really not skating when they had the puck last night. I don't think there's a system in the world that has that as a central feature. "Hey guys, I know you want to skate and make plays, but it's important that we don't move our feet too much when we have the puck. Remember to just glide until an Oiler comes to help you out." Doesn't happen.

The only thing I can think is that maybe our wingers were drawn in too much in the defensive end. They were obviously protecting the slot, and it worked really well. Over the whole game, the Oilers had basically McDavid breakaways and point shots. They got the first goal on a cycle play where the Flames were dog tired, turned it over, and lost their composure, but that was an isolated incident and overall there were few quality chances for the Oilers from zone play. But the downside to that is that their blueliners are constantly open, our wingers have to do a lot of skating in the defensive zone between their guy and the slot, and when we do get the puck, we have to wait for the wingers to skate forward before there is a breakout option. I'm not sure how the system demands that breakouts work, but it seemed a hell of a lot more difficult for our team to turn a turnover into a breakout than for the Oilers, which these last couple of years has been the hallmark of games we lose.

There were startlingly few times we had Gaudreau actually skating in space with the puck, with some freedom to move. Gotta find a way to make that happen more often. But the track record of this team is such that I have no doubt that it will happen.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I wouldn't mind trying Gio and Hamonic together. Put Brodie with Hamilton.
I don't think I'd like that. One of the nice things about the Gio/Hamilton and Brodie/Hamonic pairings is that each pairing has a high end skater on it. Also, Brodie hasn't looked comfortable on the left side even now, and putting him with a guy who has defensive hiccups like Hamilton seems like a recipe for issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad