GDT: Flames at Oilers, October 4 2017, 8:00 MT, Sportsnet

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
cut.jpg

So this is the game day thread. That is all.

Projected Flames lineup: (from the Flames website)

FORWARDS
Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Micheal Ferland
Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
Kris Versteeg - Sam Bennett - Troy Brouwer
Tanner Glass - Matt Stajan - Garnet Hathaway

DEFENCE
Mark Giordano - Dougie Hamilton
TJ Brodie - Travis Hamonic
Matt Bartkowski - Michael Stone

GOALTENDER
Mike Smith

Projected Oilers lineup: (from Oilers GDT)

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl
Lucic - Nugent Hopkins - Yamamoto
Jokinen - Strome - Caggilula
Khaira - Letestu - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Benning
Nurse - Gryba

Talbot

ntPYhld.gif

Go team. Do better than last year. Kthxbai.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Anyone know where my sister in Australia can watch the game? Any (legal) streams she may have access to? Doesn't Game Center Live or Center Ice have free trials for the beginning of the year?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We usually sleepwalk through season openers so I'm definitely expecting a loss.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think we can win this one.. but would feel a lot more confident if Jagr and Janko were playing as were basically icing the same lineup that lost 6 games to Oilers last year, with the exception of Hamonic and Smith.

Edit: Oops... Forgot about Tanner Glass. I'm sure he'll make a HUGE difference.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I think we can win this one.. but would feel a lot more confident if Jagr and Janko were playing as were basically icing the same lineup that lost 6 games to Oilers last year, with the exception of Hamonic and Smith.

Edit: Oops... Forgot about Tanner Glass. I'm sure he'll make a HUGE difference.
I think Glass actually will make a pretty big difference. He'll probably be the most noticeable energy wise, putting up a few big hits and may even be a decent PKer. No reason he can't be our answer to Kassian. Though I wouldn't expect his contributions to be on display all season.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
God it would be so nice if they just played well right off the bat.

Please. Just play like you can. I want to see Johnny and Monahan have a good game, Smith not let in any softies and the defense not to make boneheaded plays.

If we play like that and lose by a goal that is fine. Just no trainwreck like we see pretty much every year.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Expecting a lukewarm performance (the proverbial shaking off the rust excuse) and a loss but hopefully not a blowout and Yamoto better doesnt score a hatrick right off the bat.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hit everything in the first, score some goals in the second, shut em down in the third. Mike Smith SO, Bennett and Gaudreau 2 pts each.

EZ

Jkin it's the season opener so we'll get shit on. As is tradition. Some fire would be nice to see, couple scraps might help start the season with some team unity.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Mike Smith can be a rough goalie but he has traditionally played his best against the Oilers in the regular season.
Good luck guys!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We need to stay out of the box early on to avoid having a mountain to climb from the outset. Specialty teams are the Oilers' bread and butter.

That said, I feel like some of this might be unavoidable if the refs continue to call slashes as sharply as they have.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
What will continue tonight?

Calgary's inability to win a god damn season opener (1 win in our last 14 I believe I read?)
or
Mike Smith's absolute dominance of the Oilers (15-3-1)

Let's start the season on a positive note for crying out loud.

5-2 Flames.
Johhny, Monahan x2, Bennett, Hamilton
McDavid, Letestu

Reactions: Mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->