GDT: Flames at Oilers, October 4 2017, 8:00 MT, Sportsnet

Aug 3, 2010
Another season, another slow start. Might as well prognosticate losing in the Honda Center this season as well. It's not that nothing ever changes, but the Flames are simply consistent in many of the wrong areas.

Positives this game:
Smith
Bennett
Glass/the fourth line

Negatives:
The first line
Brouwer
Gulutzan - why won't he reward good performance with better linemates for Bennett is beyond me. I'm not saying throw every line into the blender. But simply put, why are they trying something that is clearly not working during a losing game? I know he can coach better than this but this is simply stubborn at best.

Also, McDavid is a driven kid and that speed is just absolutely beyond belief.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
We would be tied at 0 if the Oilers hadn't won the lottery, just think about that for a second.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
  1. Weird, its almost like not doing anything about the offense hasnt fixed the offense
2. Whatever this team does in training camp doesn't work. Every single year.

3. Brodie is picking up where he left off last year

At least Smith has been fantastic. The rest of the team is a tire fire.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Dumping the puck with no one chasing is a turnover. Don't understand why they keep doing it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Brouwer has been one of our better players this game.
Disagree.. And I'm usually a Brouwer defender, that first goal, he had a clean opportunity to clear the zone, bumbled the puck and decided to chase Maroon the rest of the shift, big factor in that goal.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
  1. Weird, its almost like not doing anything about the offense hasnt fixed the offense
2. Whatever this team does in training camp doesn't work. Every single year.

3. Brodie is picking up where he left off last year

At least Smith has been fantastic. The rest of the team is a tire fire.

The offence wasn't broken. And based on this game, the defence is looking good. All about limiting the time it takes to get up to speed (as in, where they were in the second half) with their play with the puck. This is supposed to be what pre-season is for.

I agree with your second point. Although I thought we had a few good starts under Hartley.

Brodie's been fine. Kind of weak to pick on a guy for not being as fast as the fastest guy in the league in a pure footrace.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t
But you're into that.

For what it's worth, all that's happened is that the BoA has gone from something we enjoy and Oilers fans hate to something we hate and Oilers fans enjoy. That's not a positive thing, IMO.

I don’t think we will be swept by the Oilers year after year. I think we will have great matches against them in the playoffs once some of our players like Bennett, Tkachuk, and Janko mature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad