Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Travis Hamonic and 4th from Islanders for 1st and two 2nds

Butanic

May 29, 2017
Calgary
I'm a bit hesitant on this trade, but I'll reserve judgement until we see what Hammer can do with the Flames. In the meantime, I would not be opposed to some light selling at next year's trade deadline to try and recoup some of our lost seconds.

And I very much hope that most of our D prospects pan out, then we can trade the ones we don't need in exchange for forward prospects and picks.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
It's kinda steep considering we still have holes on RW. I think that Gio might have to be traded by the time hamonic comes up for a new deal. Not sure what this means for stone as well.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It's kinda steep considering we still have holes on RW. I think that Gio might have to be traded by the time hamonic comes up for a new deal. Not sure what this means for stone as well.

Sounds like both sides would still like to get a deal done for Stone.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I love how some of the oilers fans are trying to make themselves feel better by saying we're making our already "bad" prospect pool even worse. :laugh:

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I love how some of the oilers fans are trying to make themselves feel better by saying we're making our already "bad" prospect pool even worse. :laugh:

honestly, if we could balance out the talent in our pool, we'd have one of the better ones in the league I'd imagine.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Literally the worst prospect pool including first overalls for the past decade minus lucking out on McJesus. Not surprised.

Have to make yourself feel better somehow after being irrelevant for a decade.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

That's some big talk coming from a team whose best prospects are Pool Party and a manlet they drafted yesterday

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Our pool sucked when we had Gaudreau, Ferland, Granlund, Baertschi, Kulak, Jankowski, Bennett and whoever else three years ago.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would not be opposed to some light selling at next year's trade deadline to try and recoup some of our lost seconds.

That would be bad news. They should be all in and go for the cup not selling at that point

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
That would be bad news. They should be all in and go for the cup not selling at that point

Agreed, if they're selling it should be next off-season, and it should be guys they can no longer afford so as to open spots for ELCs and UFAs

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Bartkowski/Kulak/Wotherspoon-XXXXXX
Bartkowski/Kulak/Wotherspoon

I wonder who the 3rd RHD will be.

Still need to get another real NHL dman for the 3rd pair.

Cant afford to spend that much on the top4 the crap out with the bottom pair. You are only as good as you weakest link.

Hamonic has a good salary cap so there should be enough cap left to sign Stone or someone similar.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

They can afford to move guys like Stajan and Bouma without missing a beat; maybe even get better by replacing them with Jankowski and Hathaway. Given they're on expiring contracts, both might be able to fetch late round picks at the deadline next year.

Schwartzee

Mar 29, 2007
A lot of us Islander fans can attest to the fact that none of us want to lose Hamonic but if it needed to be done, then so be it.

If you don't know Hamonic, when healthy, he's a beast. He can be a complete shutdown D and he can skate well. He does not shy away from any physicality and in no way does he make your team worse by any means even when considering the picks given up.

Enjoy him, he's a great asset.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Still need to get another real NHL dman for the 3rd pair.

Cant afford to spend that much on the top4 the crap out with the bottom pair. You are only as good as you weakest link.

Hamonic has a good salary cap so there should be enough cap left to sign Stone or someone similar.
I dunno man, Nashville did fine with a pretty mediocre third pair.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Probably got two prime years left for Gio/Frolik and three prime years for backlund combined with readiness of Hamilton/Brodie/Mono/Johnny/Tkachuk/Bennett (as in all ready to win now) so now is the time to just go for it so Hamonic fits that.

Throw in Ferland, Lazar and a new #1 in Smith and we are looking dangerous I would say.

Great deal

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Probably got two prime years left for Gio/Frolik and three prime years for backlund combined with readiness of Hamilton/Brodie/Mono/Johnny/Tkachuk/Bennett (as in all ready to win now) so now is the time to just go for it so Hamonic fits that.

Throw in Ferland, Lazar and a new #1 in Smith and we are looking dangerous I would say.

Great deal

Agree with most of this post but I think Backs has way more than three prime years left in him. Honestly I think he's just gonna keep getting better.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
If Stone won't settle for less than 3x2 I really hope Brad takes a good long look at Postma.

Then again, if his moves this off-season are any indication he's big into overpaying for marginal assets so I shouldn't be holding my breath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad