Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Curtis Lazar and Kostka for Jokipakka and a 2nd

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't know about that. I liked Baertschi, but it's not like he produced to a significant degree. There's mitigating factors in each case, but I think the equivalence is anything but false. First rounders who were rushed, poorly developed, but not completely ruined being moved for a second rounder to cut losses.

At the time we traded Baertschi he was so defensively inept that he couldn't stick in our lineup, despite scoring at a respectable clip. With Lazar, its the reverse problem. Good enough to play every night, but can't produce.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Lazar fills a need, RHS, RW, 22.

Geez, imagine we gave up on Backlund at 22.

We don't need to rush him, OTT did with their fwd's last year and before

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Wonder where he plays? on the 3rd line with some skill with Bennett? move Brouwer to the 4th line?
4th line with Stajan? Who sits out on the wings between Bouma and Chiasson?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Lazar
Bouma - Stajan - Brouwer
Chiasson
?

Give him some skilled line mates to start, i think?

Gaudrea - Monahan - Ferland
Frolik - Backlund - Brouwer/Versteeg
Tkachuk - Bennett - Lazar
Bouma - Stajan - Brouwer/Versteeg

Really like the idea of Lazar with Tkachuk and Bennett. If it didn't work though, I'd go with;

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Lazar/Brouwer
Bouma - Stajan - Lazar/Brouwer

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Honestly the biggest thing out of this is the expansion draft implications.

I'd be very surprised if Treliving acquired a guy for a 2nd and then immediately exposed him.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think a lot of fans did.

More than a lot definitely did. Heck, there were still a fair number that wanted him gone as little as three years ago. And even as late as last season a decent number thought he'd easily be replaced by a rookie Jankowski. It's mind bottling how badly he's been underappreciated over the years.

Don't mind Lazar as a reclamation project given he's young and a RHS, but in light of his virtually non-existent production and low projection (bottom six energy role player), a 2nd was too much. But I guess since the Flames already moved their 3rd for Stone, and the 2018 3rd was tied up in Elliott, there weren't a whole of options.

Was thinking the same. I am not so convinced that Ferland won't be exposed to be honest.

I really don't understand how, especially with Ferland seeming to click with Gaudreau and Monahan. There's absolutely no reason to protect Brouwer over him.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Look at what people said about Ferland last year. Some players take time and often a change of scenery can be exactly what struggling players need.

Yep exactly.

I mean you'll have your Galiardi's and your Colborne's but what Lazar doesn't seem to have a work ethic problem. And we certainly need more defensive C/RWers that hits.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I don't know about that. I liked Baertschi, but it's not like he produced to a significant degree. There's mitigating factors in each case, but I think the equivalence is anything but false. First rounders who were rushed, poorly developed, but not completely ruined being moved for a second rounder to cut losses.
That's just narrative. Neither one were/are any good defensively, but Baertschi had some offense. He scored 8 goals, 30 points in 70 games with the flames. Lazar has 12 goals, 36 points in 176 NHL games. Scoring rates makes it look even more lopsided but whatever.

Heck even his WHL numbers are shaky for a 1st.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I know nothing about Mike Kostka

michael-kostka-2016-54.jpg

but I see some sweet photoshop potential if he's any good :laugh:

giphy.gif

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Was thinking the same. I am not so convinced that Ferland won't be exposed to be honest.

That would be a huge mistake. Ferland is a better player than Brouwer already and I think he has room to grow if he's stays on the top line.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I really don't understand how, especially with Ferland seeming to click with Gaudreau and Monahan. There's absolutely no reason to protect Brouwer over him.

I'd prefer to protect Ferland of the 3. I get this impression that the Flames are going to protect Brouwer though. Which means its one of Ferland or Lazar.

Although, if Lazar doesn't have a strong end to the season maybe exposing him isn't a big deal, as Kulak will also be up for grabs.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
A 2nd is a steep price to pay in a good draft, this draft blows so I don't mind the 2nd.

At worst he is Chiasson, which is a fairly low bar. Chiasson has no hockey sense though and Lazar has great hockey sense so I see him doing better than Alex. Hopefully this means Chiasson is riding pine from here on out.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'd prefer to protect Ferland of the 3. I get this impression that the Flames are going to protect Brouwer though. Which means its one of Ferland or Lazar.

Although, if Lazar doesn't have a strong end to the season maybe exposing him isn't a big deal, as Kulak will also be up for grabs.

I don't see Ferland factoring into the equation at all. He's lock (or at least should be) given his age, unique skill set in comparison to the rest of roster and potential complement factor to Gaudreau and Monahan. He's a valuable long term piece with the only drawback right now being consistency; and that will (or should) come with time. Ferland's goal yesterday and the sequence that led up to it against the big, tough and intimidating Kings is exactly what Treliving and Burke have been clamoring on about since the rebuild started. It just seems unfathomable to lose a guy with that kind of impact and potential for Brouwer or even Lazar.

I agree that it doesn't all that plausible that they'd expose Brouwer (they did give him an 'A" immediately) but stranger things have happened with Treliving. I certainly didn't expect him to fire Hartley last summer (even though I hoped for it).

From a strictly asset management point of view, it's a no-brainer. Ferland is a virtual guarantee to be claimed. Lazar is hard to say right now while Brouwer is a 50/50. So even if they choose Brouwer, there's still a good chance McPhee opts for Kulak anyway.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't see Ferland factoring into the equation at all. He's lock (or at least should be) given his age, unique skill set in comparison to the rest of roster and potential complement factor to Gaudreau and Monahan. He's a valuable long term piece with the only drawback right now being consistency; and that will (or should) come with time. Ferland's goal yesterday and the sequence that led up to it against the big, tough and intimidating Kings is exactly what Treliving and Burke have been clamoring on about since the rebuild started. It just seems unfathomable to lose a guy with that kind of impact and potential for Brouwer or even Lazar.

I agree that it doesn't all that plausible that they'd expose Brouwer (they did give him an 'A" immediately) but stranger things have happened with Treliving. I certainly didn't expect him to fire Hartley last summer (even though I hoped for it).

From a strictly asset management point of view, it's a no-brainer. Ferland is a virtual guarantee to be claimed. Lazar is hard to say right now while Brouwer is a 50/50. So even if they choose Brouwer, there's still a good chance McPhee opts for Kulak anyway.

I still believe that Vegas will have more options of defensemen to pick than they will forwards. Taking a teams 4th best defenseman is usually better than their 8th best forward. And if they are taking more defense than anything then Kulak may be less attractive.

I also think that Vegas is going to take the max amount of defensemen they can take and then flip the extras for forwards/picks/prospects, since top 4 D are always the biggest commodity in the NHL.

Who knows, maybe they just sign Engelland and call it a day (unlikely).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad