Confirmed with Link: Flames acquire Curtis Lazar and Kostka for Jokipakka and a 2nd

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Acquiring more former Oil Kings what are we the grease? /s

I don't like the price but I do like the player. Hopefully Lazar's poor production is a symptom of mono and not just being bad.

Either way this means Brouwer will be exposed which makes my day.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Lazar would need to clear waivers so definitely NHL. Senators rushed him into the NHL for inexplicable reasons.

Will say that it's heartening to see that they didn't give up a high pick for a declining veteran like Vanek/Vrbata

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Lazar would need to clear waivers so definitely NHL. Senators rushed him into the NHL for inexplicable reasons.

Will say that it's heartening to see that they didn't give up a high pick for a declining veteran like Vanek/Vrbata

Yeah I agree. If Vrbata came cheap I would be all over it but the asking price seemed to be a 2nd. Would rather have Lazar at that price.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Wonder where he plays? on the 3rd line with some skill with Bennett? move Brouwer to the 4th line?
4th line with Stajan? Who sits out on the wings between Bouma and Chiasson?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Lazar
Bouma - Stajan - Brouwer
Chiasson
?

Give him some skilled line mates to start, i think?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm pretty happy with this move. I don't really care about picks this year, but we still have our first, which will hopefully be late first. If you guys are worried about quantity, we can always trade down.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm pretty happy with this move. I don't really care about picks this year, but we still have our first, which will hopefully be late first. If you guys are worried about quantity, we can always trade down.

There's rumors out of Raleigh that Francis is looking to move his three 2nd's (ours, PIT's and NYR's) for an extra first.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Wonder where he plays? on the 3rd line with some skill with Bennett? move Brouwer to the 4th line?
4th line with Stajan? Who sits out on the wings between Bouma and Chiasson?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Lazar
Bouma - Stajan - Brouwer
Chiasson
?

Give him some skilled line mates to start, i think?

You might also add him to the rotating top RW in the case that Ferland cools down a bit.

Eventually could be Stajan replacement.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You guys will like Lazar. Don't listen to some people saying he's a complete dud.
The kid was incredibly smart when he first laced them up for the Senators. His hockey iq is IMO 5/5. The issue was the way he was deployed in Ottawa. He was playing on a line with Chris Neil and Chris Kelly and was expected to do something. Curtis Lazar isn't the type of player to turn **** into gold like Crosby is, but he's got all the inclinations of a damn good bottom-6 player.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You guys will like Lazar. Don't listen to some people saying he's a complete dud.
The kid was incredibly smart when he first laced them up for the Senators. His hockey iq is IMO 5/5. The issue was the way he was deployed in Ottawa. He was playing on a line with Chris Neil and Chris Kelly and was expected to do something. Curtis Lazar isn't the type of player to turn **** into gold like Crosby is, but he's got all the inclinations of a damn good bottom-6 player.

Yay. A bottom 6 player.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
I hope the kid does well, he has a good attitude, former WJC Captain, gotta think he's a character kid, and as another poster mentioned, mono can really mess someone up.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks for the comments Sens fans. Hopefully he can turn it around nicely here. Seems like a great kid.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I loved Lazar prior to his draft year thought he'd play a similar game to Jeff carter but on the wing. But his development has not gone well and good reason to think it's because he was rushed.
Price is a bit steep but that's okay more so I don't like that he can't be sent to Stockton to regain some confidence scoring.
But in the end if we can develop this guy into a 2-way 35-45 point RW that fills a hole for us and I think it's possible in this life.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Steep price to pay for a reclamation project, but I don't mind it really. I'd rather spend this price on a gamble in Lazar than on someone like Vrbata. Hopefully Lazar can turn it around with a change of scenery. The potential is there for this kid.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'll basically say that anyone who thought we won the Baertschi trade ought to think we'll lose this trade, and vice versa. It's a pretty similar situation from what I can tell.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Here's reasons why I like this move:

1) we don't have a lot of forward prospects that are pushing. A second rounder in a weak draft is going to take 3-4 years to develop and might never be anything.

2) Lazar could be picked instead of Kulak and, personally, I value Kulak more then a second in this draft.

3) we are pretty deep at D and G for prospects. Plus, we still have our first, add a forward to Janko/Klimchuk/Dube/Mangiapane and it's not so bad..

4) Lazar has upside. He could be a great energy forward. Looking at our system we really don't have a lot of those guys.

5) RHS can play RW

There is no way we get this guy for a Klimchuk, Poirier or Shinkaruk. He's just better than those guys.

I would WAY rather spend a second on Lazar then on Vrbata

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
If I'm getting this right, Lazar is worth a 2nd because his problem in Ottawa was he's completely useless with bad linemates, but his ceiling is to become a solid bottom 6 player. Ok.
I'll basically say that anyone who thought we won the Baertschi trade ought to think we'll lose this trade, and vice versa. It's a pretty similar situation from what I can tell.
False equivalence. Baertschi was nowhere near as bad and context was a tad different.

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lazar is much better than Baertschi was at the time of trade :laugh: ainec. Do people forget what a disaster Baertschi was here?

I do agree it's a pretty similar situation.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I like Lazar, but he's a pretty comparable player to Klimchuk in terms of the tools they possess.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If this means Brouwer ends up exposed and taken by Vegas, I'm going to like this a lot more. It's not that Brouwer has been Wideman-bad, but 4.5M can go a long ways on other, more, critical weaknesses.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
False equivalence. Baertschi was nowhere near as bad.

I don't know about that. I liked Baertschi, but it's not like he produced to a significant degree. There's mitigating factors in each case, but I think the equivalence is anything but false. First rounders who were rushed, poorly developed, but not completely ruined being moved for a second rounder to cut losses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad