3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cuylle has the potential to be 20 goal player at this level. I don't think what we've seen so far this season is the end stage in his development, there is room to grow into a consistent multifaceted 2nd line player.
You could make the argument that he's already there in the right context. He plays very little powerplay and only gets 11 minutes per game.

Analytics-wise, there is legitimate room for his offense to improve, but it has already done so within the season.

Untitled.png

Albeit borderline, this is arguably already a top six player in this league.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You could make the argument that he's already there in the right context. He plays very little powerplay and only gets 11 minutes per game.

Analytics-wise, there is legitimate room for his offense to improve, but it has already done so within the season.

View attachment 818834

I would expect improvement now that he is away from Bonino so this makes sense

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
5-0 since Bonino waived?
The Cuylle goal never happens because Bonino would never have caught up to the Flames player at the Ranger blueline. Not saying Brodz has a ton more talent than Bonino but he is able to get to pucks Bonino never would be able to. Especially trying to get the puck to Cuylle and Kakko Bonino could not do that.

Reactions: yrrebbor

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That was a good, grind-it-out win, but I keep seeing something that’s so easily correctable and could help fix some of their o-zone generation. I’m probably gonna be the first person to complain about him this year, but someone’s gotta say it:

what the f*** is Kyle Smith clipping and sending to Lav that makes them think that sending two guys net-front off the cycle is a good idea? One thing they’ve been really good at all year is rotating guys high off the cycle and pulling defenders away from the high-slot. The only issue is that they’re completely wasting the space they’ve gained by sending two skaters to stand near the goalie. Just rotate one of those guys high into the high slot to make short lateral passes and keep the defense in motion. It opens up more gaps and frees up space for the net front guy to capitalize on rebounds if the shots get through. Go back and watch the Tampa game because Tampa did this very well against us. Start there and try to diversify their in-zone attack. They had a lot of great looks last night, but Markstrom was unreal

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Guentzel is the only unsigned guy out there I'd make a move for in the top 6. Perfect playoff player and they could just stick him with Mika and Kreider and not worry about it. Pens are going to be sellers

Reactions: FUZfan

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

View attachment 818834

Think its also important to remember that his most common line mates this year are Bonino and Brodzinski.

Thats a guy who should have retired last year and a AAAA player. His offensive numbers and metrics would be better with better players.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Very anecdotal but I feel like the 4 games Cuylle played last year helped his development. Got rewarded and sent back down to know what he had to work on. I feel this strategy will help Othmann in a similar way going into next year.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
That was a good, grind-it-out win, but I keep seeing something that’s so easily correctable and could help fix some of their o-zone generation. I’m probably gonna be the first person to complain about him this year, but someone’s gotta say it:

what the f*** is Kyle Smith clipping and sending to Lav that makes them think that sending two guys net-front off the cycle is a good idea? One thing they’ve been really good at all year is rotating guys high off the cycle and pulling defenders away from the high-slot. The only issue is that they’re completely wasting the space they’ve gained by sending two skaters to stand near the goalie. Just rotate one of those guys high into the high slot to make short lateral passes and keep the defense in motion. It opens up more gaps and frees up space for the net front guy to capitalize on rebounds if the shots get through. Go back and watch the Tampa game because Tampa did this very well against us. Start there and try to diversify their in-zone attack. They had a lot of great looks last night, but Markstrom was unreal
Haha I’ve also noticed this at times and it’s beyond shitty. So many times they go D to D for a bad angle lob at the goalie and NYR have two forwards trying to create traffic on an awful low danger shot. Horrible use of space but it’s been a theme for years. They hate generating offense off the low cycle. Gotta send multiple players net front so a Trouba blast can give them CTE

Last edited:

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013

This would completely go against the team trying to go for 4833457843 deflections every time we shoot at the net.

What's also so frustrating with the set up you mentioned is that these two players are so close to the crease that if there's a rebound (and there usually is), they are already out of the play to make a try at it.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Chytil being healthy would make that middle six just unreal. Whether it would have been Trocheck with Cuylle and Kakko or Chytil with Cuylle and Kakko that would have been fun. Brodz is doing a nice job can’t take it away from him but i just can’t trust him as the guy come playoffs. Imagine gourde in that spot?

I’ll say I’m leaning more towards finding a winger for top line than doing anything on that third line as the bigger need right now. At worst Brodzinski gives us Chytil’s speed in the middle which we need. But that first line needs a shooter if Mika isn’t going to do it. And he just refuses to be that guy ever since he started deferring to Kreider during that 50 goal season

Vatrano still feels like a great fit for that reason. Tarasenko feels like a fit too he got bumped for Kane last year when he was probably the better fit on that top line as a shooter.

Reactions: yrrebbor and tlk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad