Post-Game Talk: Fizzle

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Chytil is not available and potential acquisition likely won’t be at that level either. But what’s the need to constantly (daily) diss Brodzinski? Go rewatch last nights goal and pay attention to what Brodzinski was doing during the whole shift. I’m all for improving 3C position but Brodzinski has been more than acceptable this season and even more so since he got moved to center Cuylle and Kakko.

I have been saying for the past couple of games that this trio has something cooking. Chemistry is building with the more minutes they play together. Cuylle and Brodz know where each other is going. Their style lets Kakko do more of his thing, but I've noticed that Kakko is stickhandling less and pushing the puck to his linemates more, keeping the puck and themselves in constant motion. Kakko is also going towards a shoot more mindset from the looks of things. I love what both Cuylle and Brodzinski did on their shift on the goal. Both hustled on the backcheck, Cuylle on the left side and Brodz on the right, at the defending blue line, creating turnovers. The Brodz one led to the 2 on 1 with Cuylle and Kakko that resulted in the Cuylle stuff in.

Last edited:

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
I can't say how much i hate saying this but Jonathan Quick has been a bit of a saviour for us, the way he talked about Igor the other day imo gave him a boost of confidence. Quick has been the best free agent signing we've had since Panarin.

I still believe if we had a bonafide center between Cuylle and Kakko we would be a serious threat, those two are carrying that line, if Chytil were there theyd recreate that kid line that helped us so much in the playoffs on the run to the ecf.
Anyone have that quick video?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Kak makes the play which turns into the game winner and all anyone talks about is Vesey.

Kak and Cuylle need a scoring 3C. Those two can handle the D and their offense they create together cannot be understated at this point.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Just watched extended highlights of the game. Awesome to see Shesty getting his legs under himself again.

We could really use some increased 5v5 production from Kreider and Zibanejad, but at least they're nearly always a net positive. I feel like we should fully transition to listing Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere above them when we write out the lines. It's not even close at this point; that's our de facto #1 line.

Reactions: Blasds

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think Cuylle and Vesey should both get looks on the PP. Throw Edstrom out there to screen the goalie. Change it up. No reason why Laviolette cant use the whole bench to get the powerplay going.

Reactions: leetch99

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think Cuylle and Vesey should both get looks on the PP. Throw Edstrom out there to screen the goalie. Change it up. No reason why Laviolette cant use the whole bench to get the powerplay going.

I'm not sure why no coach has taken some big kid who is a permanent fixture in the lineup, like Cuylle or Kakko, and gotten them to learn as much as possible from Kreider about playing net front on the PP.

He may be the best to have ever done it, and our PP2 doesn't even really attempt to set up any guy in the same way.

Reactions: skipmowerman

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Yeah I think Laf was our best forward. His puck luck has been abysmal this year.
Starting to think it’s not puck luck.

The guy dusts the puck off just a bit too long every time he has a chance.

He doesn’t have the best shot, so he needs to be quicker with receiving passes if he’s gonna ascend to another level.

He has the vision and offensive awareness to do so.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Starting to think it’s not puck luck.

The guy dusts the puck off just a bit too long every time he has a chance.

He doesn’t have the best shot, so he needs to be quicker with receiving passes if he’s gonna ascend to another level.

He has the vision and offensive awareness to do so.

Perhaps, but other guys aren't burying his grade-A setups either.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Perhaps, but other guys aren't burying his grade-A setups either.

He's our best forward on the ice for what seems like every game for you, yet you're blaming his teammates for not scoring on every pass he gives them.

I don't think you can have both. He had some terrible giveaways from passing too much this game. Also, that cross ice pass from Panarin for an opposite side Zibby one-tee is looking predictable now for goalies. He was okay but best player on the ice for the game is a hard pill to swallow when old man Wheeler is out there drawing penalties and putting more shots on net.

The overpassing has been a team issue for so long, but on a line with Panarin, Laf should be taking 5+ shots a game. Let Bread be the playmaker. Obviously the more he shoots, the better chance he'll get to put the puck in the net, but Laf still feels like a support player when he defers more than anything else.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
After all said and done would Vesey wind up being fondly remembered by the Rangers fans?!?! What a wonderful turnaround redemption story would it be.
He’s already been redeemed in my eyes. He made himself into a good depth player you can put anywhere in the lineup.

He’s what goodrow was advertised to be at a fraction of the price.

Reactions: skipmowerman

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Some of my impressions from last night sitting in the Garden:

Cuylle plays a hard, consistent game. Man. He's does not shy away from contact. He's had a really strong rookie season, on pace for 14-15 goals, and really should be closer to 20 with those two that should have counted earlier in the year. I think he will be a 3rd line fixture for years.

Brodz may be Brodz, but he and that line have been really good and a big reason why is their backcheck. All 3 get up and down the ice and are really focused on disrupting transitions and busting it back to help the D. It makes a huge difference.

Obviously the team was focusing on D most of the night. There were a few lapses when Calgary turned up the pace. Quicker, more deft teams could pose a problem in this regard, the Rangers need to find the balance of keeping a strong defensive structure while keeping their pace up.

Its a challenge for them to be in a defensive posture and not slow down their pace and become flat footed in some areas. One way to amend this is what I pointed out above, the forwards need to keep the pace up in both directions.

Panarin's line does it. The 3rd line is committed to but is more effective at it then the 4th (sans Vesey), it's Mika's line that is inconsistent in this regard. Mika is definitely committed to the defensive game, but there is a lot of gliding into spaces instead of arriving with a purpose. The battle level on the walls, especially in the D zone needs to improve with that line.

Igor with one of his best performances of the season. The crowd was literally screaming at him to shoot and I thought for a second he was gonna nail that clear

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Some of my impressions from last night sitting in the Garden:

Cuylle plays a hard, consistent game. Man. He's does not shy away from contact. He's had a really strong rookie season, on pace for 14-15 goals, and really should be closer to 20 with those two that should have counted earlier in the year. I think he will be a 3rd line fixture for years.

Brodz may be Brodz, but he and that line have been really good and a big reason why is their backcheck. All 3 get up and down the ice and are really focused on disrupting transitions and busting it back to help the D. It makes a huge difference.

Obviously the team was focusing on D most of the night. There were a few lapses when Calgary turned up the pace. Quicker, more deft teams could pose a problem in this regard, the Rangers need to find the balance of keeping a strong defensive structure while keeping their pace up.

Its a challenge for them to be in a defensive posture and not slow down their pace and become flat footed in some areas. One way to amend this is what I pointed out above, the forwards need to keep the pace up in both directions.

Panarin's line does it. The 3rd line is committed to but is more effective at it then the 4th (sans Vesey), it's Mika's line that is inconsistent in this regard. Mika is definitely committed to the defensive game, but there is a lot of gliding into spaces instead of arriving with a purpose. The battle level on the walls, especially in the D zone needs to improve with that line.

Igor with one of his best performances of the season. The crowd was literally screaming at him to shoot and I thought for a second he was gonna nail that clear

#20 to a tee.

And it doesn't make sense. He does these things on the PK.

Reactions: kovazub94

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
#20 to a tee.

And it doesn't make sense. He does these things on the PK.

They have one thing in mind all the time, which is to chip the puck from the opposition and go the other way on transition. They want to play predominantly off the rush. It's easier to do a rush game when gliding than when getting into close quarters and up in someone's grille.

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
Great win last night. Except for the PP. I'd like to see the second unit get more time out there, especially Laf and Kakko.

Now let's dominate the Habs Thursday and go into next week confident. Next week is a big test.

Reactions: Rongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad