OT: Fitness and Nutrition XII

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Help.

2 years after my first baby and two weeks after my second baby, I am now a fat f***. Everything is in poor shape, cardio, strength, flexibility, everything. I need to be able to make modest improvements which is the best I can do right now with the limited time I have.

I think a good option is to use the gym right next to my 2 year old's daycare, right after dropping her off. Any suggestions on a simple program that is 30-45 minutes at a time for 1, 2, or 3 days a week?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Help.

2 years after my first baby and two weeks after my second baby, I am now a fat f***. Everything is in poor shape, cardio, strength, flexibility, everything. I need to be able to make modest improvements which is the best I can do right now with the limited time I have.

I think a good option is to use the gym right next to my 2 year old's daycare, right after dropping her off. Any suggestions on a simple program that is 30-45 minutes at a time for 1, 2, or 3 days a week?

It's normal. Fathers are usually less in shape than their single peers, but that trend reverses in their 40s. My shape went to the shitter after my first child and being an attending with little experience. Now, with more job experience, Ive managed to get things back in order. As far as a simple program, I would focus on the big three lifts personally, with kettlebells/dumbbells to supplement. That's what I used to do and it helped not be completely out of shape.

One thing that helped is doing sports with friends. I have a ski group and it helped for motivation and time management quite a bit, to the point I go 3-5 times a week. Hockey helps too. I try to do two things at once as much as possible (socialize and sports, family time and sports, etc)..

Reactions: DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Help.

This may not be the answer you're looking for but joining a jiu-jitsu class may be the best overall option, 1-2 training of 1.5 hours a week and you'll be in the best shape of your life, both physically and mentally. Most jiu-jitsu spots also have weights.

Otherwise, is a home-gym set-up possible at all ? It's much easier with kids to just do some here and there. Consider investing in a good yoga mat and doing yoga at home too.

Finally, just get out there with a push pull leg program, 3-4 exercises of 3-4 sets, hard. I'd really prioritize cardiovascular work but thats just me.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This may not be the answer you're looking for but joining a jiu-jitsu class may be the best overall option, 1-2 training of 1.5 hours a week and you'll be in the best shape of your life, both physically and mentally. Most jiu-jitsu spots also have weights.

Otherwise, is a home-gym set-up possible at all ? It's much easier with kids to just do some here and there. Consider investing in a good yoga mat and doing yoga at home too.

Finally, just get out there with a push pull leg program, 3-4 exercises of 3-4 sets, hard. I'd really prioritize cardiovascular work but thats just me.

What's push pull leg?

It's normal. Fathers are usually less in shape than their single peers, but that trend reverses in their 40s. My shape went to the shitter after my first child and being an attending with little experience. Now, with more job experience, Ive managed to get things back in order. As far as a simple program, I would focus on the big three lifts personally, with kettlebells/dumbbells to supplement. That's what I used to do and it helped not be completely out of shape.

One thing that helped is doing sports with friends. I have a ski group and it helped for motivation and time management quite a bit, to the point I go 3-5 times a week. Hockey helps too. I try to do two things at once as much as possible (socialize and sports, family time and sports, etc)..

Thank you.

What are the big three?

Unfortunately I can't afford skiing right now. My family is a victim of lawfare, so we're financially precarious and will be for a few years at a minimum. I've skipped before though and it's a beautiful sport.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What's push pull leg?

Thank you.

What are the big three?

Unfortunately I can't afford skiing right now. My family is a victim of lawfare, so we're financially precarious and will be for a few years at a minimum. I've skipped before though and it's a beautiful sport.
Push, pull and legs is a three day split that focuses each day on "pushing", "pulling" and "lower body".

Basically
Day1:
Some form of pressing (Closer to horizontal than vertical) 3 sets of wtv you feel like (Best to cycle through a four-eight weeks cycle and go from low reps to high reps in this.
Acessories that would hit triceps, chest, side delts. So lets say skullcrushers/pushdowns/dips 3x12 and side raises/high rows 3x12

Day 2:
Some form of deadlifting, same principle on sets.
Some form of rowing. Same principle on sets.
Some form of bicep movement (Curls, wtv. 3x12.)
Some form of rear delt activation if you time.

Day 3:
Some form of squatting, same principle on sets.
Some form of light hip-hinge movement.
Some form of quad focused uni-lateral movement (Lunges/Splisquats)
Add in a core exercices or two or just do 15-20 minutes of yoga at home once-twice a week.

Most of these workouts can be done within 30-45 minutes.

Heres a few vids you can watch.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What's push pull leg?

Thank you.

What are the big three?

Big three is squat, bench, deadlift. As far as skiing, I'm not yet bourgeois enough to assume that's a realistic option for most. I would say it's more about everything around it. It's a sport I enjoy almost as much as hockey, if not more at times. I can do it on my own time, it's close to home, I have friends near with whom I ride, etc. It can be pretty much any sport, but I find having a social aspect to it and being close to home are great ways to insure doing it without overloading my partner.

So sorry about the legal problems by the way. I hope things work out for you and your family.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Havent watched this one but it seems entirely relevant too.

(Dont mind the cringey thumbnail, Bromley is a very knowledgeable person, though I assume he has right leaning values like most strength-fluencers.)

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Big three is squat, bench, deadlift. As far as skiing, I'm not yet bourgeois enough to assume that's a realistic option for most. I would say it's more about everything around it. It's a sport I enjoy almost as much as hockey, if not more at times. I can do it on my own time, it's close to home, I have friends near with whom I ride, etc. It can be pretty much any sport, but I find having a social aspect to it and being close to home are great ways to insure doing it without overloading my partner.

So sorry about the legal problems by the way. I hope things work out for you and your family.
If you love skiing, the sport and social aspect of it, give skimo/touring a go. Insane how much fun Ive had this winter, and how my body just feels insanely better because of it. No way around burning 1000+ cals during a day and getting that dere sunlight in your eyes in winter.

The equipment is steeply priced but used/rentals are good options.

Did you end up moving to BC?

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Help.

5x5 stronglifts. 3x/week, only 3 exercises. Should only take you 45 mins to do and it'll build some serious strength

Workout A:
Squats: 5x5
Bench press: 5x5
Rows: 5x5

Workout B:
Overhead press: 5x5
Deadlifts: 3x5

You just rotate these so Monday is workout A, Wednesday is workout B, Friday is workout A....then the following week you start with workout B, then A, then B...

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
5x5 stronglifts. 3x/week, only 3 exercises. Should only take you 45 mins to do and it'll build some serious strength
5x5 takes more than 45 IMO. Just warming up efficiently for a 5x5 takes a few minutes, then set/reps... they recommend 5 mins between each, and for the intensity asked I cant see someone going under 3. Thats 45 minutes of rest on a best case scenario without accounting sets and warmup.

Workout B should take less time though. Its also rough to do with minimum recovery (assuming, since new dad.)

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Help.

This is what worked for me.

Use a caloric calculator to figure out the amount of calories you need to eat to lose two pounds a week. Mine was 1600.

I ate 1600 calories on non workout days
I ate 1800 calories on workout days

On 1600 calorie days I ate 160g protein
On 1800 calorie days I ate 180g protein

Strength train 3x per week.
HIIT workout 1x per week

Try to walk when you can.

You will see a nice difference in two months
In six month I was in great shape

Here’s the key - when you reach your goal - add back the calories to maintain your weight. By the end you’ll be kinda dead so make sure you eat more and maybe scale back the heaviness of the weights. Then you can maintain. I screwed up on this step.

Unfortunately I’ve been injured for two years and haven’t been able to go back. But as soon as I can that will be my program.

Workouts are 30 mins. Start low and work your way up on weights. I liked lifting heavy. Deadlift (use a hex bar if possible) squat, bench, shoulder press, pull ups, inverted row. You can also do lunges or farmers walk. Those are great exercises.

Good luck!

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
5x5 takes more than 45 IMO. Just warming up efficiently for a 5x5 takes a few minutes, then set/reps... they recommend 5 mins between each, and for the intensity asked I cant see someone going under 3. Thats 45 minutes of rest on a best case scenario without accounting sets and warmup.

Workout B should take less time though. Its also rough to do with minimum recovery (assuming, since new dad.)
Yea you're right when the weight gets heavier you defs need the 5 min rest + a good warmup lol but when you're starting out i don't think 5 min rest is necessary. Same for warmup - you can do two quick sets with just the bar in like 1-2 mins.

Workouts will feel easy almost. 2-3 minute rest max and you're good to go depending on how light your initial starting point is.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Workout A:
Bench press: 5x5
Rows: 5x5

Workout B:
Overhead press: 5x5
Deadlifts: 3x5

You just rotate these so Monday is workout A, Wednesday is workout B, Friday is workout A....then the following week you start with workout B, then A, then B...

I'll try this.

What kind of row do you mean?

Can I do leg press or lunges instead of deadlifts?

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I'll try this.

bent over barbell rows. All the lifts are with a barbell. In theory you could swap out deadlifts for leg press/lunges! Wouldnt achieve the same results that the program was designed for but you'd still be hitting all the other exercises so whatever.

There's also this guy on YouTube if you don't have access to a barbell or have a bad back for deadlifts and squats. It's all body weight stuff but its simple and gets good results. 10-20 mins a day, every day. It's great! You can binge the rest of the channel if you like to get more info but basically you do 1 push, 1 pull and 1 leg exercise every day. You can customize this however you like with whatever exercises you want. You can choose to do the same stuff every day, or change it up every other day. 3 sets for each. Reps vary depending on your strength level:

Push: pushups, dips, etc (3x8-50....recommnend at least 8 but do whatever you can do as your minimum...more the merrier)
Pull: Pullups, chinups, etc (3x8-12....recommend at least 8 but do whatever you can do as your minimum)
Leg: squats, lunges (3x30.....should be able to do more of these so try 20-30 reps to see how you feel then go up from there).

Once you get some basic strengh going, you can either increase the reps or add some light weight. Like a weight vest, dumbell, etc

Reactions: Mrb1p

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If you love skiing, the sport and social aspect of it, give skimo/touring a go. Insane how much fun Ive had this winter, and how my body just feels insanely better because of it. No way around burning 1000+ cals during a day and getting that dere sunlight in your eyes in winter.

The equipment is steeply priced but used/rentals are good options.

Did you end up moving to BC?
Crazy that you mention that because it was in the plans this year. I have two friends who do it with a snowboard. Don't know how they call them, but they have skins under and come in two pieces you can assemble once you're up the mountain. New baby added to the family though so those plans are dead in the water, but I would love to trying touring. I'm not quite the physical beast you and my friends are, so I think I'd have to get in better shape, but man it looks like a blast. Any places you recommend ? I think Grey Rocks was pretty popular no ? Is that the mountain they closed down years ago ?

Re: BC, no haven't moved. The plans are a big group of us will start going west every two years or so in the US/Canada (maybe the alps), but I'm still in Quebec. Found a nice quiet place with a ski resort near, rinks, outdoor sports, etc. Pretty much a dream come true lol. Taxes are better in BC, but we're french speakers with a large social circle here and our revenues are very interesting while being in a pretty low cost of living province. For us, this province offers everything we want.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'll try this.

Stronglifts is a good starter program. I did it way back with good results.

As the lifts get harder though, don’t be afraid of switching to 3x5. 5x5 at heavy weight is just too much. It’s more important (in my opinion) to keep progressing on the weight.

In my program (which incorporates the strong lift exercises) I do 3 x 5. Consider the inverted row as opposed to the barbell standing row. It’s safer and you’re using your body weight.

As you get older you really want to minimize injury. An injury will mess everything up. That’s why a hex bar is better for deadlifts in my opinion. It minimizes the risk to your back and you can use a neutral grip. You’ll be able to lift a little heavier too.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Crazy that you mention that because it was in the plans this year. I have two friends who do it with a snowboard. Don't know how they call them, but they have skins under and come in two pieces you can assemble once you're up the mountain. New baby added to the family though so those plans are dead in the water, but I would love to trying touring. I'm not quite the physical beast you and my friends are, so I think I'd have to get in better shape, but man it looks like a blast. Any places you recommend ? I think Grey Rocks was pretty popular no ? Is that the mountain they closed down years ago ?

Re: BC, no haven't moved. The plans are a big group of us will start going west every two years or so in the US/Canada (maybe the alps), but I'm still in Quebec. Found a nice quiet place with a ski resort near, rinks, outdoor sports, etc. Pretty much a dream come true lol. Taxes are better in BC, but we're french speakers with a large social circle here and our revenues are very interesting while being in a pretty low cost of living province. For us, this province offers everything we want.
Yes, skins. Traditionally they used seal skins, which is why we call them that. I do split board! I dont know about grey rocks but skimo is huge now, most, if not all inbound ski stations offer skin tracks. Of course, the fun is to go off the beaten path, theres plenty of spots for that too.

If you want to try before you buy, Touski in the laurentide offers rentals (50$ ? I think, for boots and skis and or splitboard+poles and skins) for the day. Note that as of now, touring tickets are under 30$ a day, so not that expensive for a day. Theres also a few demo days where you can try different products. I can keep an eye out for demo days if you wish, its usually on saturdays though.

My GF is somewhat overweight and not very fit but she enjoys her time a lot, its tough but its not that different from hiking, depending on the track.

Heres yours truly three weeks ago @ Ski la reserve.
IMG_20240128_145752_466.jpg

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yes, skins. Traditionally they used seal skins, which is why we call them that. I do split board! I dont know about grey rocks but skimo is huge now, most, if not all inbound ski stations offer skin tracks. Of course, the fun is to go off the beaten path, theres plenty of spots for that too.

If you want to try before you buy, Touski in the laurentide offers rentals (50$ ? I think, for boots and skis and or splitboard+poles and skins) for the day. Note that as of now, touring tickets are under 30$ a day, so not that expensive for a day. Theres also a few demo days where you can try different products. I can keep an eye out for demo days if you wish, its usually on saturdays though.

My GF is somewhat overweight and not very fit but she enjoys her time a lot, its tough but its not that different from hiking, depending on the track.

Heres yours truly three weeks ago @ Ski la reserve.
View attachment 819069

Split board is exactly what I was thinking of. I heard about Touski, but didn't know you could do it at La Reserve. Dont they have 20$ tickets on Tuesdays ? I'm still in shape so hey I might just try it. That pic is fantastic btw.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Split board is exactly what I was thinking of. I heard about Touski, but didn't know you could do it at La Reserve. Dont they have 20$ tickets on Tuesdays ? I'm still in shape so hey I might just try it. That pic is fantastic btw.
Theres like 20$ tickets at la reserve after noon. Pretty good value. Its a small mountain though.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Why do I always get surprised that no matter how great shape is maintained,the day after and beyond that when going skiing for the first time after a lengthy absence, you really feel the burn. You get achy but it kind of feels good in weird way. Skiing isn't even all that exerting but man,those thighs and gluts blow up. The Moguls I think are the most punishing, especially when you lose the rhythm there for a bit and get out of wack. One of the bindings was adjusted way to lightly and a frikkin ski came off just by going through a patch of powder, hate that. Kind of f things up on that run and awkward retrieving that bugger and people looking at you all weird like.:shakehead

Volunteered to help some buds and play goalie, been a while. Had the wrong gloves and stick but wasn't much of an issue as have had experience with both sides. Didn't have goalie pants though and every time going down and smothering the puck, the legs protectors on the pants would dig in to the groinel area uncomfortably. Some rather unattractive blemishes were the result that lingered for days. Did fine considering and forgot how taxing it can be and glad that we won, still got those rapier like reflexes. Same story though, different muscles used, same burning after, fun.:wedgie:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I did my first last year.....was a bucket list thing in my 40's. Remarkably I lost very little weight throughout the 4 months of training. Probably because my diet was shit and it just doesn't come off like it used to. The past few months has been spent doing full body HIIT workouts. I feel way better than the running, and if it wasn't for gains in muscle mass, I am sure I would have lost some lbs.

Good luck with your marathon! No feeling like crossing that finish line!
Half marathon May 12th. Then full marathon in September. Piece of cake for both. I could run a half tomorrow I’m sure.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Help.

Full body routine, heavy, medium, light day. All compound movements, 2 sets of 8 each exercise. If you complete all your heavy lifts, next week up it 9 per set. Repeat until your doing 12 per set, once you complete the 5 week cycle, increase weight 10% then start back at 8 reps. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench, rows, curls, calf raises and done.

I did this when I was on your time frame and it worked wonders. Heavy day is what you can lift 2sets of 8 per exercise at, medium day is 10% less, light day is 10 more % less. Works like a charm. Was in and out in 40mins.

Do the entire workout in the squat rack except bench and calf raises. If your tight on time drop the curls/calf raises.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I lost 15 pounds this winter. I started out at 220, ended up at 235 around early january and now Im back at 220. I feel tight, I feel huge, i feel fast.

Skimo season is done, of course, but I just bought a new pair of shoes to run and pads + boxing gloves to do with my GF. Im embracing the lighter me, I think. Ive had it with the pudginess and all its drawbacks.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Stronglifts is a good starter program. I did it way back with good results.

As the lifts get harder though, don’t be afraid of switching to 3x5. 5x5 at heavy weight is just too much. It’s more important (in my opinion) to keep progressing on the weight.

In my program (which incorporates the strong lift exercises) I do 3 x 5. Consider the inverted row as opposed to the barbell standing row. It’s safer and you’re using your body weight.

As you get older you really want to minimize injury. An injury will mess everything up. That’s why a hex bar is better for deadlifts in my opinion. It minimizes the risk to your back and you can use a neutral grip. You’ll be able to lift a little heavier too.
3 x 5 is the same as starting strength and far superior to 5 x 5 strong lifts imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00