OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I havr trouble with reps that are so high, they get me all sweaty.

Confirmation, 5 plus reps is cardio.

I just get bored, lose my concentration and thus my form.

I've had a lot of trainers discourage sets of 8 reps or less. They say that that's v very low, and will bee geared toward hypertrophy and only effective if I'm eating a lot. But, I find high reps (12-15) to be boring.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I've had a lot of trainers discourage sets of 8 reps or less. They say that that's v very low, and will bee geared toward hypertrophy and only effective if I'm eating a lot. But, I find high reps (12-15) to be boring.
The conventional thinking is 2-5 reps is strength focused, 6-8 functional hypertrophy, 9-12 hypertrophy, 13+ muscle endurance.
But from personal experience, what will determine the outcome is mostly your nutrition.

Side note, doing a DNA test tomorrow to determine what food and training I respond best too according to my genes. Should be interesting.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

I don't get people who insist on doing stuff they don't like, find sports/exercises you like (not boring at least), increases your chance of reaching whatever goal you may have.

Reactions: ChoseLa

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't get people who insist on doing stuff they don't like, find sports/exercises you like (not boring at least), increases your chance of reaching whatever goal you may have.

If I thought that way, I'd eat a diet of 6,000 calories/day+ made mostly of sugar and processed animal products, I wouldn't brush my teeth, I'd play more video games, and jerk off ~5x/day. I'd always come to work late, if at all.

You can't be enjoying yourself all of the time.

With respect to weightlifting, I mostly enjoy it. I do find sets with longer reputations to be boring. I'm also relatively unhappy in more crowded gyms.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The conventional thinking is 2-5 reps is strength focused, 6-8 functional hypertrophy, 9-12 hypertrophy, 13+ muscle endurance.
But from personal experience, what will determine the outcome is mostly your nutrition..
One thing I never noticed about "3 sets of 5 reps", etc is that in my own case, my strength decreases between sets. If I do 8 reps on the first set and wait 90 seconds, I'll probably do 5 or 6 reps on the second set, though it depends on the exercise. This seems to be to be intrinsically true. Therefore, I try to just lift to failure on all three sets, and I re-calibrate from week to week.

The amount of reps I do on exercises also depends on the order of exercises in the program. If the gym is crowded I'll have to do the exercises out of order, and then my strength will increase on exercises that come earlier, since I'm not yet drained.

I try to do the difficult, compound exercises first, with one exception. At the end, when I'm fully drained, I finish myself off with assisted chin ups and drain myself even more. I keep draining myself by doing more and more reps with higher and higher assistance, until there's little left.

Side note, doing a DNA test tomorrow to determine what food and training I respond best too according to my genes. Should be interesting.
I wonder how accurate and insightful that's going to be. To be honest I'm intellectually curious as to what your results might be, but I'm skeptical that these issues are well understood at this time.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
One thing I never noticed about "3 sets of 5 reps", etc is that in my own case, my strength decreases between sets. If I do 8 reps on the first set and wait 90 seconds, I'll probably do 5 or 6 reps on the second set, though it depends on the exercise. This seems to be to be intrinsically true. Therefore, I try to just lift to failure on all three sets, and I re-calibrate from week to week.

The amount of reps I do on exercises also depends on the order of exercises in the program. If the gym is crowded I'll have to do the exercises out of order, and then my strength will increase on exercises that come earlier, since I'm not yet drained.

I try to do the difficult, compound exercises first, with one exception. At the end, when I'm fully drained, I finish myself off with assisted chin ups and drain myself even more. I keep draining myself by doing more and more reps with higher and higher assistance, until there's little left.

I wonder how accurate and insightful that's going to be. To be honest I'm intellectually curious as to what your results might be, but I'm skeptical that these issues are well understood at this time.
Same here, especially with the epigenetics which we still don't know much about that can trigger/block genes' expression... Would love to see the results of those tests and compare them to the person's reality, symptoms, etc.

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

This isn't supposed to happen. Either you are going too heavy or not resting enough.
3 x 5 should not be 3 sets of 5 RM. If you are doing 5 - 5 - 5, then failing on last set makes more sense.

I don't think going to failure on every set is a good way to maximize strength gains. Personally, I feel I would burn out.
I have my doubts as well, but this is getting more popular and my boss wants to create a package to our clients with that. So I negotiated a free trial with a company, they will collect my sample tomorrow and will have results ready by the end of the week.
In terms of food response, I don't have much of an idea as I pretty much never get stomach issues, and I have never been overweight. A few very mild food allergies to a couple of fruits, that's about it.
So anything that is on there will be a surprise to me and I will actually have to try to follow the recommendations to see if it holds true.
But in terms of training, due to the fact I have been training for 20 years, I have a good idea of what works more efficiently on me and what I struggle with. Will be interesting to see if the results match my experience.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
For those here who have seen respectable abdominal definition in the mirror,

How tall are you?
What weight were you when you reached six-pack threshold?
What waist size do you wear for jeans and other pants?
How much credit do your relatively assign to being cut, and to having stronger abs?
Would you describe your bone structure as typical of your height and gender, broader, or narrower?

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
But from personal experience, what will determine the outcome is mostly your nutrition.

Lurker and occasional poster in this thread, if I want to gain weight, I'd have to be doing 2-5 reps instead? Does that mean I should do more than 3 sets or that still remains the same?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
For those here who have seen respectable abdominal definition in the mirror,

How tall are you?
What weight were you when you reached six-pack threshold?
What waist size do you wear for jeans?
How much credit do your relatively assign to being cut, and to having stronger abs?
Tall 5'11, 175ish for the whole 6 pack, the four pack until 185, if I flexed. Approx.

Pants size doesnt mean much as I always have loose waist and tight legs, 34 mostly.

Credit goes to HIIT and keto diet/low carb high prots diet.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Tall 5'11, 175ish for the whole 6 pack, the four pack until 185, if I flexed. Approx.

Pants size doesnt mean much as I always have loose waist and tight legs, 34 mostly.

Credit goes to HIIT and keto diet/low carb high prots diet.

Damn, a six pack at a size 34 waist? Shit. Do you need to get your pants tailored?

We're the same height, but I don't see a six pack at a size 32 waist, and I'm a little bigger than that now. I'd have to get down to size 30, or at least I like to think so.

I used to speak to a former MMA fighter on another board. He was 6'3 and shredded, and he worse size 29 pants.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If you want to gain weight you should eat more.
Yeah, that is probably the biggest factor as to why in the last two years there hasn't been too much of a change in terms of weight (went from late 140 (was training like a moron; too much cardio) to mid to high 150s). What are things that I can eat a lot of that a) are not unhealthy a la junk food b) not too expensive (living the student life) and c) respect my weird ass diet of not eating meat (beside fish/seafood) or dairy.

When you add all three of these factors, I think that's why I'm struggling to eat that much. I don't measure what I eat but I would be inclined on guessing I still eat around 2500-3000 calories a day, give or take. I don't take any shakes which could probably help boost my calorie count.

My typical day goes like this:

Coffee + toasts or bagel with tofu spread

Plain oatmeal with tablespoon of maple syrup

Gym (7:30 mins on treadmill plus workout)

Peanut butter sandwich

Bowl of cereal (Life or Oatmeal Crisp)

Green Tea

Dinner (rice, veggies and fish or something with tofu)

Bowl of cereal before bed (Mini Wheats)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah, that is probably the biggest factor as to why in the last two years there hasn't been too much of a change in terms of weight (went from late 140 (was training like a moron; too much cardio) to mid to high 150s). What are things that I can eat a lot of that a) are not unhealthy a la junk food b) not too expensive (living the student life) and c) respect my weird ass diet of not eating meat (beside fish/seafood) or dairy.

When you add all three of these factors, I think that's why I'm struggling to eat that much. I don't measure what I eat but I would be inclined on guessing I still eat around 2500-3000 calories a day, give or take. I don't take any shakes which could probably help boost my calorie count.

Peanut butter sandwich

Green Tea

Your nutrition needs a complete overhaul.

Too busy now to elaborate, I'll come back after.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Damn, a six pack at a size 34 waist? ****. Do you need to get your pants tailored?

We're the same height, but I don't see a six pack at a size 32 waist, and I'm a little bigger than that now. I'd have to get down to size 30, or at least I like to think so.

I used to speak to a former MMA fighter on another board. He was 6'3 and shredded, and he worse size 29 pants.
Well my waist is probably close to a 32 yeah, but no, i dont get tailored pa ts so yeah, i wear oversized waist :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Peanut butter sandwich

Green Tea

Build your diet around proteins, not carbs. No meat is hard, no dairy too. You cut out a lot of great ingredients, but its something that can be done. Download cron-ometer, start logging your food every day, its super easy. Youll need to really focus on greens and proteins, fish, shrimps, beans, peas, lentils, tofu, nuts are the main source of protein that you should focus on.

Do you eat eggs? If so your problem is solved. Cheap, packed with macros, ethical, good af, versatile

Reactions: Chris Cutter

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Peanut butter sandwich

Green Tea

LOL Jesus are you purposefully trying to live on carbs only?

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Build your diet around proteins, not carbs. No meat is hard, no dairy too. You cut out a lot of great ingredients, but its something that can be done. Download cron-ometer, start logging your food every day, its super easy. Youll need to really focus on greens and proteins, fish, shrimps, beans, peas, lentils, tofu, nuts are the main source of protein that you should focus on.

Do you eat eggs? If so your problem is solved. Cheap, packed with macros, ethical, good af, versatile
Yeah I still eat eggs so that's one easy source of proteins I still have. Off your list peas and lentils are the two things I rarely ever eat. Should try integrating them more in my diet.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Hes livin the dream

Meh, most carbs make me feel like **** actually. Complex carbs I should say. I get sleepy, mood swings, bloated... I'm pretty sure I'd live happily ever after on a carnivorous diet, but I try to eat as many veggies as I can for the vitamins and minerals and microbiome stuff.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Seriously, i find its a what a lot of vegans/vegetarian encounter as a problem. Over reliance on carbs as a mean to feed themselves. Every single vegan i know had that problem/ has that problem. Made a few of my GFs change over to meat eating after making them see the light.

Theres just not a lot of protein rich, low carb ingredient in the nature once you weed out the animals.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Meh, most carbs make me feel like **** actually. Complex carbs I should say. I get sleepy, mood swings, bloated... I'm pretty sure I'd live happily ever after on a carnivorous diet, but I try to eat as many veggies as I can for the vitamins and minerals and microbiome stuff.
Shit, Id sustain myself on skittles if I could. I used to eat Brown sugar by the spoon when i was a youngin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad