OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
To me it is dilemma, the more I read and learn about the food industry the more appalled I get. I love cooking and I love food but I can see myself ending up a vegan out of moral reasons. I get nightmares at times about the way we treat other animals. I also admire people who become vegans based on moral reasons.
It's a leap of faith to make, but once you make it, you'll never look back. It's a better diet for the environment (food/land/water usage, climate change), animals, and you'll see health benefits as well (weight loss, acne disappears, more energy, better sleep, lower risk factor for cancer, stroke, and heart disease...).

The hardest part is figuring what to eat, but once you figure it out, it becomes easy and the figuring it out can be a fun food adventure in itself.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
To me it is dilemma, the more I read and learn about the food industry the more appalled I get. I love cooking and I love food but I can see myself ending up a vegan out of moral reasons. I get nightmares at times about the way we treat other animals. I also admire people who become vegans based on moral reasons.

There are options, but they're often difficult to source and invariably expensive. You can buy grass fed, free range beef that's humanely raised and slaughtered.

I think most people who think about it are appalled at feed lots and their barbarism.

I'll assume that some countries will have stricter, more humane regulations, but I have no direct knowledge.

@Per Sjoblom, does Sweden not have more ethical laws?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
There are options, but they're often difficult to source and invariably expensive. You can buy grass fed, free range beef that's humanely raised and slaughtered.

I think most people who think about it are appalled at feed lots and their barbarism.

I'll assume that some countries will have stricter, more humane regulations, but I have no direct knowledge.

Besides, when well cooked they tend to taste a lot better anyway.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It's a leap of faith to make, but once you make it, you'll never look back. It's a better diet for the environment (food/land/water usage, climate change), animals, and you'll see health benefits as well (weight loss, acne disappears, more energy, better sleep, lower risk factor for cancer, stroke, and heart disease...).

The hardest part is figuring what to eat, but once you figure it out, it becomes easy and the figuring it out can be a fun food adventure in itself.
I assume you recycle like crazy, drive an electric car, compost, and loads of other things for the environment.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I love how some random internet blogger is deemed as a source in regards to criticizing one of the all time intellectual giants of nutrition...
Those are Kriss' go to sources, internet bloggers and critics paid by the animal industry.

Throw a fact at him and he avoids it, or he twists what you say and then deflects.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well I do recycle, compost, and I don't have a car?

But you're making an appeal to futility fallacy
wrong.

but no worry, I get it, I eat some meat so it's automatic, all the posts I make are futile, false, childish, not based on reality, show no knowledge on anything, stupid, irrelevant, wrong, or something.

recycle, compost, woah! impressive! be proud!

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
On the animal cruelty topic, i'm just going to throw my opinion out there.

Go ahead and eat all the meat you want, it's your body and your money.

But if you chose to eat it, at least take a look a the documentary called "Earthlings", take a look at how these animals are treated, they have no rights like many other animals do, no voice, these animals are terrified and tortured. We who chose to must be their voice or nothing will ever improve for them. I love all the animals and never want to exploit them ever again.

If you're gonna support the animal industry, the least you can do is not be a hypocrite, know what you are eating.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Can't we all just talk about getting fit through food and exercise instead of being patronizing and talkin' fallacies?

Neither side is looking particularly agreeable or likeable at this stage in the discussion.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
That's a philosophical debate not a health related one.
How do you kill a healthy animal that doesn't want to die humanely?

Let's just say if I posted a video of a humane slaughter it would be flagged and removed... but if your interested look up the slaughterhouse footage from Ryding Regency in Toronto.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How do you kill a healthy animal that doesn't want to die humanely?

Let's just say if I posted a video of a humane slaughter it would be flagged and removed... but if your interested look up the slaughterhouse footage from Ryding Regency in Toronto.

Like I said.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

I am not sure, I know Sweden was the first country in Europe to ban tail docking on dogs and later on pigs and they have stricter rules in Scandinavia compared to the continent in general. Don't think is that good though.

Still thinking about it makes me depressed, I tend to agree in general with vegans about meat but I am weak. I also believe that much of our meat culture is based on the Abrahamic religions where Man is the pinnacle.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I am not sure, I know Sweden was the first country in Europe to ban tail docking on dogs and later on pigs and they have stricter rules in Scandinavia compared to the continent in general. Don't think is that good though.

Still thinking about it makes me depressed, I tend to agree in general with vegans about meat but I am weak. I also believe that much of our meat culture is based on the Abrahamic religions where Man is the pinnacle.
not just meat, but also eggs, milk, cheese, and everything else animal related.

maybe true for the europeans and north-americans... but ahat about the peeps in Asia for example or all the "older" cultures who are/were heavy meat eaters ?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

I think you are very close to being a Vegan, you should try it for a month, it's so easy and once all that animal hormone will be out of your body you will feel great. You can get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad