OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part IV - Let's get jacked up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To live on a food exclusively for a period of months, you'll need salt, potassium, water, and either carbs or fats. I think that's all. There are lots of foods that will do, as your body stores nutrients for a periods of starvation.

The foods that won't do are those that are too high in protein, such as rabbit meat. You need ~2,000 calories a day (some of which you can get from body fat), and the body is inefficient at converting protein into glucose, a process which also produces waste.

Some foods are also too high in certain vitamins and minerals and will kill you if you live off them. For example, 2500 calories a day of carrots will give you vitamin A poisoning very quickly. That doesn't mean that carrots are either good or bad.

You could live off any one food for a few months really. It doesn't make it good.

Reactions: DAChampion

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
That is too cool. Who knew? "It's genetics" I shall continue to eat my eggs and trust that I too have an extremely efficient compensatory mechanism.

But the 88-year-old absorbed only 18% of his dietary cholesterol. Plus, his liver made less cholesterol than is common and shunted more of it into bile acids (which aid digestion) than did the livers of the volunteers, a metabolic triple whammy that Dr. Kern called “extremely efficient compensatory mechanisms.”
Most of the cholesterol in the circulation comes from endogenous production (the liver), not from eating cheeseburgers.
• The liver makes cholesterol from triglycerides.
• 95% of lipids in the diet are triglycerides.
• Carbs (the low-fiber white kind: rice, pasta, potatoes) increase triglyceride levels.

Zusammenhalt

Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
To live on a food exclusively for a period of months, you'll need salt, potassium, water, and either carbs or fats. I think that's all. There are lots of foods that will do, as your body stores nutrients for a periods of starvation.

The foods that won't do are those that are too high in protein, such as rabbit meat. You need ~2,000 calories a day (some of which you can get from body fat), and the body is inefficient at converting protein into glucose, a process which also produces waste.

Some foods are also too high in certain vitamins and minerals and will kill you if you live off them. For example, 2500 calories a day of carrots will give you vitamin A poisoning very quickly. That doesn't mean that carrots are either good or bad.

As you say the conversion of protein is inefficient. I always wonder about the glycogen stores in the liver and muscles of the players as they go into each game. Some have that 3rd period fall off.

I know that when they go into longer than normal times played i.e.: overtime they really need to supplement properly but then I trust that the team is knowledgeable about all that. Eh?

Last edited:

Zusammenhalt

Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division

My ancient memory of nutrition and the research I did on Vit A is that you cannot eat enough carrots to poison you. You can turn orange however.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I need a few tips .

Some frustration again. My chronic back pain can really be frustrating. I stopped doing any stretching or planks because it makes my inflammation worst . So I’ve started doing fast walking , it keeps me active and it’s not as hard on the back as running : I do it 20 minutes daily . From Thursday to Sunday it felt good . I do it at 6.2 speed on the threadmill for 20 minutes . There is sweat on my back after it . It keeps me active . Idk why but since Sunday I have sharp pain in it when I go back home . I do lifting with it too . I walked to the gym 15 minutes before though I take the bus now . It’s almost a 20 minutes walk so that added too might have caused it.I also sit 8 hours a day for work that doesn’t help .

Thing is Thursday , Friday , Sat it felt alright , I feel like it strengthens my abs too as I have read running and fast walking can strengthen ur core .i do abs contraction but that’s not enough that’s why I feel fast walking is a solution .

Is 20 minutes at 6.2 speed too
Much ? I do know running for 30 minutes only makes my back sore for 24 hours . I lifted Thursday and sat with it too without problems .I may have found a type of solution no? Thing is if i do some walking or stretching added to that 20 minute fast walking , the pain starts .i will take a one day break .i do this when I’m in pain. The pain is located at the lower end of my back not even the muscles it’s a sharp pain . It feels good when I put ice on it must be a sign of inflammation ?

I find stretching yoga and strengthening exercise only make my pain worst the next day. I can’t believe after 3 days of good work I feel pain again

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Go see your doctor.

I’ve seen a physio and a doctor it’s just a regular back pain . There is no medication or remedy . I went to see a physio and stretches are just making it worst . Not all of them but I’ve tried many types of stretches with little results. It was too expensive for the quality of results it was giving me .

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Damn biceps are killing me. Hopefully this extra day of rest does the trick...

Is that you bro?? :D
article-0-1C2A3E9600000578-854_634x486.jpg

Reactions: Paul Dipietro

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I’ve seen a physio and a doctor it’s just a regular back pain . There is no medication or remedy . I went to see a physio and stretches are just making it worst . Not all of them but I’ve tried many types of stretches with little results. It was too expensive for the quality of results it was giving me .

How long has this been going, years? weeks? If it is years, and it has been steadily declining I would consult again.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I'm rpetty sure you're at a healthy weight ATM. If you're not looking at better performance, theres no point in manipulating your weight IMO.

Also, 5'8 isn't manlet territory, I'm 5'11 and I feel like a giant most of the time.

Thanks for making me feel good haha

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That's absolutely absurd. Of course genetics play a role in your height. It's why Asians are on average shorter than North Americans or Europeans. Why Swedes are taller than Canadians on average.

True. Except I'm half Canadian (white) half chinese and I'm basically 5'11. Mom is 5'2 and Dad is 5'9. Who knows for me.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
True. Except I'm half Canadian (white) half chinese and I'm basically 5'11. Mom is 5'2 and Dad is 5'9. Who knows for me.
It's all about nutrition (old country vs. here). The growth hormones in milk and meat I would think. Most of my cousins (born here) are freakishly tall compared to their immigrant parents

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
What are your favorite body part tot rain guys, from first to last?

Mine has to go this way;
1. Shoulders
2. Arms
3. Chest
4. Back
5. Legs

I wouldn't say I really have a favorite but legs is definitely the one that drains me the most, especially now that I'm no longer doing daily full body workouts but a typical bro split with a specific leg day.

It's basically
Squats 4 x 6-8
Front Squat 3 x 6-8
One legged leg press 3X 6-8
Walking Lunge 3X 6-8
Seated calf Raise 4X 25-30

Feel like dying for the rest of the day.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I wouldn't say I really have a favorite but legs is definitely the one that drains me the most, especially now that I'm no longer doing daily full body workouts but a typical bro split with a specific leg day.

It's basically
Squats 4 x 6-8
Front Squat 3 x 6-8
One legged leg press 3X 6-8
Walking Lunge 3X 6-8
Seated calf Raise 4X 25-30

Feel like dying for the rest of the day.

My legs day is the one that tires me the most, also. Mine goes like this;

A) Squat 3-4 x 6-8
B) Unilateral Step-ups or split-squat (foot elevated) 3 x 6-8 each leg
C1) Leg Press 3 x 8-12
C2) DB SLDL 3 x 8-12
D1) Leg Extension 3 x 12-15
D2) Laying Leg Curls 3 x 12-15
E) Seated Calf Raises 3 x 12-15

I get why your legs day leaves you exhausted though. Especially in the Quads. Lots of quads focus in there!

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It's all about nutrition (old country vs. here). The growth hormones in milk and meat I would think. Most of my cousins (born here) are freakishly tall compared to their immigrant parents
I did drink a crap load of milk growing up, so that could be part of it.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I did drink a crap load of milk growing up, so that could be part of it.
That, combined with the fact that your asian parent probably didn't have access to as much fresh milk growing up (I know mine didn't). Nevermind the altered chemistry of said milk (then vs. now)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As you say the conversion of protein is inefficient. I always wonder about the glycogen stores in the liver and muscles of the players as they go into each game. Some have that 3rd period fall off.

I know that when they go into longer than normal times played i.e.: overtime they really need to supplement properly but then I trust that the team is knowledgeable about all that. Eh?
I know when they go into multiple overtime in the POs, often times they order pizza. They remove the cheese and just eat the bread.
But that's only in the POs. There is no need for that in the 3rd period of a game or a 5 min OT.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What is a "regular back pain"? Pain is abnormal, and if stretching worsens it then there is nothing regular about it.
If you went to see a physio, then he must have diagnosed you. If he didn't, he wouldn't know what to stretch or focus on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad