OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part IV - Let's get jacked up Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'm rpetty sure you're at a healthy weight ATM. If you're not looking at better performance, theres no point in manipulating your weight IMO.

Also, 5'8 isn't manlet territory, I'm 5'11 and I feel like a giant most of the time.

My impression is that Quebecers are shorter than typical.

Median adult male height in the USA is ~5'9.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

I don't know about that. It's all genetics. My parents are 5'6" and 5'7" and I am 6'1" and my brother is 6'0". My mom's brother on the other hand is 6'3" and most of my dad's family is 5'nothing.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't know about that. It's all genetics. My parents are 5'6" and 5'7" and I am 6'1" and my brother is 6'0". My mom's brother on the other hand is 6'3" and most of my dad's family is 5'nothing.

None of your post made any sense, either by itself or in response to my post. Here's a list of failings:

1) "It's all genetics" doesn't argue for or against the claim that Quebecers are shorter than other North Americans.

2) Height is not all genetics and that's well documented by science.

3) The fact that your brother and yourself are both taller than your parents does not support the claim that height is all genetics.

4) The fact that your dad has a different height than all of his family does not support the claim that it's all genetics.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
What are your favorite body part tot rain guys, from first to last?

Mine has to go this way;
1. Shoulders
2. Arms
3. Chest
4. Back
5. Legs

2 and 3 are fairly close though.
I just love training shoulders. Thw burning sensation I get when training them is almost orgasmic. Right now my shoulders workout looks like;

A) Db Shoulders Press 3-4 x 6-8 (last set is a dropset)
B1) Front Db Raises 3 x 12
B2) Rear Delt Flies 3 x 15
C1) Wide Grip Upright Rows 3 x 12
C2) Db Lateral Raises 3 x 15
D1) Face Pulls 3 x 12
D2) Db Shrugs 3 x 15

With abs as a finisher.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
None of your post made any sense, either by itself or in response to my post. Here's a list of failings:

1) "It's all genetics" doesn't argue for or against the claim that Quebecers are shorter than other North Americans.

3) The fact that your brother and yourself are both taller than your parents does not support the claim that height is all genetics.

4) The fact that your dad has a different height than all of his family does not support the claim that it's all genetics.

I for example am 5.11.

My sisters are all between 5.2 and 5.4. My mom is 5.2. My father a generous 5.5.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What are your favorite body part tot rain guys, from first to last?

Mine has to go this way;
1. Shoulders
2. Arms
3. Chest
4. Back
5. Legs

2 and 3 are fairly close though.
I just love training shoulders. Thw burning sensation I get when training them is almost orgasmic. Right now my shoulders workout looks like;

A) Db Shoulders Press 3-4 x 6-8 (last set is a dropset)
B1) Front Db Raises 3 x 12
B2) Rear Delt Flies 3 x 15
C1) Wide Grip Upright Rows 3 x 12
C2) Db Lateral Raises 3 x 15
D1) Face Pulls 3 x 12
D2) Db Shrugs 3 x 15

With abs as a finisher.

Deadlift
Squats

Bench press

Ohp.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Deadlift
Squats

Bench press

Ohp.
Really? There's something aboutnOHP that i really like. It just seems like thebfirst thing you think about when it comes to weightlifting. Or at least it did when I was young hehe

Come to think of it though your ranking makes sense. You love moving heavy weight and you pretty much listed your lifts in order of which one you move the most weight with to the least

Reactions: DAChampion

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That is my issue with the "superfood" label. It's just a BS marketing scheme really.
What do you think would happen if you only ate chia seeds? Would you be healthy? You'd end up being quite difficient actually, so how healthy is it really if eating it by itself won't make you all that healthy after all?
Funny you'd say that. Chia was used by natives for long journeys - though that itself could be a marketing story :laugh:

Seriously though, it's an ALMOST perfect food. The problem is that it doesn't include enough protein. It's still pretty damn good though. I put it in my shakes. :)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

The average Quebec male is 5'9 too. I dont think theres that much of a difference from country to country in NA.

Every one close to me are shorter than me, except my 6'3 and 6'2 friends... one of my best best friend is 5'5 (a short one.) He claims hes 5'7. Funniest thing on earth.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

That's absolutely absurd. Of course genetics play a role in your height. It's why Asians are on average shorter than North Americans or Europeans. Why Swedes are taller than Canadians on average.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
My main argument is that Chia and soy arent super food. Chia is basically on the other end of the caloric spectrum compared to lettuce. Its obvious its gonna be loaded with nutrients.
So... why can't we call it a superfood?

I get being skeptical about marketing teams using it but in everyday use? What's wrong with that?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The average Quebec male is 5'9 too. I dont think theres that much of a difference from country to country in NA.

Every one close to me are shorter than me, except my 6'3 and 6'2 friends... one of my best best friend is 5'5 (a short one.) He claims hes 5'7. Funniest thing on earth.

I'm 5.11 and while I don't feel like a giant, i am under the impression when I move in crowds that i'm in the top 3rd of the population when it comes to height.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I’m just about 6 feet and every time I’m in Quebec, I’m surprised by how small the average male is there.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Really? There's something aboutnOHP that i really like. It just seems like thebfirst thing you think about when it comes to weightlifting. Or at least it did when I was young hehe

Come to think of it though your ranking makes sense. You love moving heavy weight and you pretty much listed your lifts in order of which one you move the most weight with to the least

Its exactly that, lol.

Theres also the fact that I like the assistance work for these lifts. Benching from different angles is pretty boring to me. I also hate the setup of both the OHP and BP.

Squats would probably be first if it wasnt for the damned front squats i do as assistance. God do I hate those.

Reactions: Son Oncle Jerry

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So... why can't we call it a superfood?

I get being skeptical about marketing teams using it but in everyday use? What's wrong with that?

Because yous expect dense food to have a lot of nutrients. Kinda like potatoes, meat, etc. The problem is that youre not going to eat a cup of chia seeds in a day. If you could, thatd be a super food

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because yous expect dense food to have a lot of nutrients. Kinda like potatoes, meat, etc. The problem is that youre not going to eat a cup of chia seeds in a day. If you could, thatd be a super food
I don't follow you here. Why can't it be a superfood if I get more nutrients from it with three tablespoons than almost any other food out there?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That's absolutely absurd. Of course genetics play a role in your height. It's why Asians are on average shorter than North Americans or Europeans. Why Swedes are taller than Canadians on average.

You spoke nonsense again.

1) I write that "Height is not all genetics" and you respond with "That's absolutely absurd. Of course genetics play a role in your height." There's no disagreement between the two claims. You're also shifting the goalposts, previously you said that height is all genetics, now you're saying that genetics plays a role.

No shit, genetics "plays a role" in nearly everything.

2) Asians, Swedes, Canadians, etc have different genetics and different environments. Those population comparisons don't isolate for individual variables at all.

Have you even ever been to Sweden? There are a lot of differences there.

Reactions: Andrei79

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

1) I write that "Height is not all genetics" and you respond with "That's absolutely absurd. Of course genetics play a role in your height." There's no disagreement between the two claims. You're also shifting the goalposts, previously you said that height is all genetics, now you're saying that genetics plays a role.

No ****, genetics "plays a role" in nearly everything.

2) Asians, Swedes, Canadians, etc have different genetics and different environments. Those population comparisons don't isolate for individual variables at all.

No ****, genetics "plays a role" in nearly everything.

Enlighten me oh great one. Tell me why I am an idiot. Clarify my pleb brain of things I can't cerrtainly comprehend.

Genetics play a major role in your height. The next two biggest factors being environment and nutrition. But Genetics is responsible for 60+%. Am I getting close?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Enlighten me oh great one. Tell me why I am an idiot.

I wrote that your posts were nonsense, not that you're an idiot.
Focus on what's actually written.

Genetics play a major role in your height. The next two biggest factors being environment and nutrition. But Genetics is responsible for 60+%. Am I getting close?
You've shifted your position to something more reasonable from your previous "It's all genetics." That's good.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The term is "superfood" not "perfectfood". If the term was "perfectfood" I'd understand your issue, but some foods really are miles more nutritious than others. Calling them super is hardly heresy.

Also, I do believe there were aztec warriors who would live entirely off of chia seeds for months at a time and that they are considered a complete form of nutrition.
It's not heresy, it's just a marketing BS term, that you've fallen victim to.
Chia seeds are nutritious, that's all there is to it. There is nothing super to them, or any other food, unless we are at a point where we need to call nutritious food "super"..Is that where we are at?
If eating some spinach turned you into Popeye, that would be a superfood. There is no such food.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Funny you'd say that. Chia was used by natives for long journeys - though that itself could be a marketing story :laugh:

Seriously though, it's an ALMOST perfect food. The problem is that it doesn't include enough protein. It's still pretty damn good though. I put it in my shakes. :)

That's great man, lots of good nutritious food out there. I don't see the point in calling them ''super''. If that is the case, then man, Meat is a really superfood too.

And using food as it was convenient for specific purposes is different. You could survive eating just broccoli for a long while, and it's another "superfood", but you would still end up being difficient in plenty of things.
Dr. Shawn Baker is on a carnivore diet, eating pretty much only meat, and he says after experimenting with many other diets, this was the one that made him feel best.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What's your point exactly? The fact that certain foods check more boxes in a nutritional sense leads some people to deem them superfoods. What's so wrong about that?

Sure some people might exploit this moniker from a marketing standpoint
but that doesn't change the fact that some foods do in fact bring more to the table (so to speak) than others
That was the point.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
To live on a food exclusively for a period of months, you'll need salt, potassium, water, and either carbs or fats. I think that's all. There are lots of foods that will do, as your body stores nutrients for a periods of starvation.

The foods that won't do are those that are too high in protein, such as rabbit meat. You need ~2,000 calories a day (some of which you can get from body fat), and the body is inefficient at converting protein into glucose, a process which also produces waste.

Some foods are also too high in certain vitamins and minerals and will kill you if you live off them. For example, 2500 calories a day of carrots will give you vitamin A poisoning very quickly. That doesn't mean that carrots are either good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad