GDT: first three game winning streak of the season gdt vs stars

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I fell asleep and good thing I did, I guess

First 2 periods of this game was just awful. It`s start of the season and we had many days to rest before. To let in 4 goals and play like they did is unacceptable, there is like no chance to win after they go down 4 vs team like Stars.

Our shot selection is very bad as well, we may have shots, but they were no real danger most of the time. Our pace and aggression was very bad for the first 4o as well.

I liked how played Skinner, Staal. That`s pretty much it. Even our most consistent D pair had questionable plays tonight, but I can forgive them. I can`t forgive to players like Rask, wtf is his deal, it`s like he is not even on the ice. Necas was pretty weak when he played, but given another chance, I think he can do more than Rask at this point.

There was a chance to get a point out of this game if we started to play even from 2nd period, but no we didn`t...

Overall 2-2-0 this roadtrip, it`s not bad, but now we have Tampa on Tuesday and they are on fire, so it`s gonna be hard.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
At this point I don't know that it's really a coaching issue. i mean of course in some sense it must be but I think it's a personnel issue as much as anything. Everyone knows the shot is coming from Skinner or Faulk, and Faulk has the yips something crazy. Even 5 on 5 it looks like everyone else is hesitant to shoot.

Reactions: Tryamw and vorbis

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think we tend to look at ourselves and point fingers but the reality is Dallas is a legit cup contender. They play fast. Really fast with high end skill and their best players played their best for at least the first half of the game. When that top line is on their game I don't think any team stops them, and the rest of the lineup skates their asses off.

The first year of Seguin they were amazing, and played at a tempo that seemed unrealistic. They've had some bumps but last night looked a lot like that.

We battled back on a good team and lost by one goal on the last game of a decently long road trip. We went .500 on the road. I can take that.

Ps. I mean damn Dallas scored some pretty goals. Give em credit.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
At this point I don't know that it's really a coaching issue. i mean of course in some sense it must be but I think it's a personnel issue as much as anything. Everyone knows the shot is coming from Skinner or Faulk, and Faulk has the yips something crazy. Even 5 on 5 it looks like everyone else is hesitant to shoot.

It’s not even an issue. It’s better than 18 other teams and the top shooting option on the top unit isn’t shooting well.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I think we tend to look at ourselves and point fingers but the reality is Dallas is a legit cup contender. They play fast. Really fast with high end skill and their best players played their best for at least the first half of the game. When that top line is on their game I don't think any team stops them, and the rest of the lineup skates their asses off.

The first year of Seguin they were amazing, and played at a tempo that seemed unrealistic. They've had some bumps but last night looked a lot like that.

We battled back on a good team and lost by one goal on the last game of a decently long road trip. We went .500 on the road. I can take that.

Almost every team in our conference is also a cup contender. Just saying.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I didn't get a chance to watch the come back. We need 1 more game breaker like Skinner and we'd be in great shape. You can't win them all I suppose. I know it was partially the lack of jump to start, but they looked entirely out matched against Dallas. The Stars are a good team.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thats one thing that bothers me about this team. So many points have been pissed away because they can't stop the bleeding in time to at least steal one or possibly two. Tonight is another example.

I didn't watch the game, but am a bit perplexed by this statement. Last year, the issue early on was we built up leads and then blew them near the end and many times ended up with 1 point instead of 2. By mid season though, we had a few where we came back and won or got a point (Vancouver for instance). So far this season, we came back and got points against Minnesota and CLB when we fell behind and by the looks of it, almost did the same last night. Where has the team been pissing away points because they can't stop bleeding in time?

Every team in the league will lay an egg to start the game (look at EDM against us) from time to time. The better teams in the league (and the Canes haven't been a better team in years) have the firepower to come back from those more often and end up getting 1 or 2 points. Again, I didn't see this game but was genuinely curious what you meant by your statement.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Our PP needs help as others stated. It was infuriating to see them struggle getting into the offensive zone for years. It seems like they got that down, but seeing them do nothing in the zone now is even more infuriating.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

This is spot on. Dallas is bigger, faster, more physical, and more skilled. Benn and Seguin have absurdly good shots.

But the Canes still managed to make it interesting despite spotting them four goals. Getting torched by Dallas on the third game in five nights after flying from Alberta doesn't really concern me. If they come out looking like shit against Buffalo or Arizona, I'll be concerned then.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
This is spot on. Dallas is bigger, faster, more physical, and more skilled. Benn and Seguin have absurdly good shots.

But the Canes still managed to make it interesting despite spotting them four goals. Getting torched by Dallas on the third game in five nights after flying from Alberta doesn't really concern me. If they come out looking like **** against Buffalo or Arizona, I'll be concerned then.

I'll be pointing my fingers so hard.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

But the Canes still managed to make it interesting despite spotting them four goals. Getting torched by Dallas on the third game in five nights after flying from Alberta doesn't really concern me. If they come out looking like **** against Buffalo or Arizona, I'll be concerned then.
Bingo. Dallas is a legit contender this year. Defense is a bit suspect still but they're so loaded up front it's not even funny. It's like our 05-06 team with higher end talent but not quite as good depth players in that regard. Adding a high quality coach like Hitchcock and shoring up the goaltending on that team automatically moved them back to being a playoff team to me. They were nowhere near as bad as their record last year, just happened to be the year everything went wrong for them in contrast to a team like Edmonton last year where everything went right for them,

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I didn't watch the game, but am a bit perplexed by this statement. Last year, the issue early on was we built up leads and then blew them near the end and many times ended up with 1 point instead of 2. By mid season though, we had a few where we came back and won or got a point (Vancouver for instance). So far this season, we came back and got points against Minnesota and CLB when we fell behind and by the looks of it, almost did the same last night. Where has the team been pissing away points because they can't stop bleeding in time?

Every team in the league will lay an egg to start the game (look at EDM against us) from time to time. The better teams in the league (and the Canes haven't been a better team in years) have the firepower to come back from those more often and end up getting 1 or 2 points. Again, I didn't see this game but was genuinely curious what you meant by your statement.

I guess I was more talking out of my ass here in frustration.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Dallas is a mirror image of us on the goaltending front. Significantly underperformed last year because of bad goaltending, they went out and fixed it, and now they're a contender. Glad we fought back from 4-0 down more than anything else.

Time for some home cookin'.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So the concert last night was "interesting". While not the youngest people there, we were definitely in the the top 10% in terms of youngest. The weather was fantastic for an outdoor concert and they had good beer, a couple of food trucks, and the music, for the most part was very good.

Charlie Daniels absolutely still "has it" at 80 years old. He was just incredible and I never realized he was born and raised in Wilmington. He got a bit little too political for my tastes, but he was clearly playing to his main fanbase. The Outlaws also just absolutely killed it so those two stood out. Pure Prairie League, followed by Poco were both pretty good, but Marshall Tucker was a total disappointment. Clearly the lead singer doesn't have it because he spent more time talking and holding the mic to the audience for us to sing than he spent singing. He also brought out some of the earlier performers to do a few songs.

Very glad I went, glad I got to see Charlie Daniels before he's gone, I had a great time, but isn't something I'd go to again.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Well the reason this game makes me more critical of our team is that Dallas makes moves that I'm jealous of. They were able to steal a young 1st line center, grab a goalie when they needed one, and grab wingers when they needed them. We did a good this past off season with grabbing what Darling and Williams but honestly it's just not enough and is glacially slow in comparison with Dallas.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Dallas abused Hanifin's poor defensive play and effort for two goals to make the game 0-4. He was benched for the rest of the 2nd. The whole team looked slow and worn out compared to Dallas in the 1st and 2nd. Though it was clear that Dallas couldn't keep up that pace in the 3rd. They were playing all-out Playoff style hockey and got tired themselves. Caught the Canes flat footed.

Any other season that deficit would have been a death sentence, the Canes came back and had 2-3 solid chances to tie with 3 minutes left including Skinner alone in front of the net. As far as losses go I am encouraged.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Well the reason this game makes me more critical of our team is that Dallas makes moves that I'm jealous of. They were able to steal a young 1st line center, grab a goalie when they needed one, and grab wingers when they needed them. We did a good this past off season with grabbing what Darling and Williams but honestly it's just not enough and is glacially slow in comparison with Dallas.
To be fair IIRC we were deep in the talks when it came to landing Seguin. They wanted the roster player, not the pick. We had nobody that fit the mold of what they were looking for as a player at the time as Ruutu had already started trending toward being washed up.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
To be fair IIRC we were deep in the talks when it came to landing Seguin. They wanted the roster player, not the pick. We had nobody that fit the mold of what they were looking for as a player at the time as Ruutu had already started trending toward being washed up.

Interesting. I had heard from a friend in New England (who could be full of shit), that there was no way Chiarelli was trading Seguin to an eastern conference team. Seems logical thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad