GDT: first three game winning streak of the season gdt vs stars

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Rush is in town???

ha ha...no. I did see Rush a few years ago when they were in town. I was never a big Rush fan, but some friends wanted to go, but I hated the concert. It was almost 3 hours of a bunch of songs I didn't know sprinkled in with the 4-5 songs I did know. Watching the drummer was cool though, but overall, I just left with a headache.

I bought tickets to Charlie Daniels band. I'm not a big fan of Charlie Daniels, but like when I bought BB King tickets a few years ago, figured this might be my last chance to see him and I like him enough to see him once. What I didn't know is that this was a 10 hour concert starting at noon with many "old time" bands. A couple of lesser known bands, then Poco, Pure Prairie League, The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker Band, and finally Charlie Daniels Band. Other than Charlie Daniels, each band looks to get about 1 hour so at least it should at least be mostly songs I know since I was never big fans of any of these bands to know more than a few from each.

I expect this to be like when I saw John Fogerty in Raleigh a couple years ago. I was probably the youngest person there. :laugh:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I bought a guitar off of a guy who toured with the Outlaws awhile back. I had no idea until I was strumming it at his house looking at all the pictures on the wall. Not sure how many of these bands have original members! This guy was like the 22nd drummer.

A quick look on the internet shows 2 original members currently in the band. Originals were Hughie Thomasson, Henry Paul, Frank O'Keefe, Monte Yoho (drummer) and Billy Jones. Current members are:
  • Monte Yoho – drums, percussion (1969, 1970–1979, 2005–present)
  • Henry Paul – guitars, vocals (1972–1977, 1983–1989, 2005–2006, 2008–present)
  • Steve Grisham – guitars, vocals (1983–1986, 2013–present)
  • Chris Anderson – guitars, vocals (1986–1989, 2005–present)
  • Dave Robbins – keyboards, backing vocals (2005–2006, 2010–present)
  • Randy Threet – bass, vocals (2005–present)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I love Rush. Seen them 3 times and I'd see them again.

If I knew more songs, I probably would have enjoyed it, although Geddy Lee can't quite hit the notes like he used to.

Wife and I saw Bob Seger a couple years ago, and again, while not a huge Seger fan, the concert was great. Every song he played was one that I knew so it was hit after hit after hit. He was pretty good engaging the crowd as well (unlike when I saw Clapton). Can't remember all of the concerts I've seen in recent years, but ones that stick out that I liked:

Roger Waters and the Wall was spectacular.
I've seen the Black Keys twice and loved them both times - (the Flaming Lips warmed up for them 1 time and Vincent did the other time).
Seger was great.
B52s were fun - Kate Pierson still has it.
BB King was cool and a great experience.
Lumineers - solid show.
Paul Simon (in his mid 70s and played for 2.5 hours with no breaks in between songs. Plus, he still has it)
John Fogerty - was great because he played all the CCR stuff.
Diana Krall - My wife wanted to see this and it was surprisingly good.
Alabama Shakes - saw them twice, once at Cats cradle and they were spectacular.
Jason Isbell - seen him a couple of times.
Sturgill Simpson - more "country" than I prefer, but he kills it live and is much more rock and roll live.

I'm sure I'm missing a few and I'm not including all the small venue, lesser known bands. I pretty much like seeing any live music though. Ones that stick out that I didn't like as much.
Rush - as I stated above
Clapton - Music was good, but the show as just "meh".

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Best concert I've ever been to is weird al yankovic and have a hard time believing anyone will ever top it

I remember seeing weird al at raleigh memorial auditorium in like 2006. It was fantastic. I'm fairly certain he has storm troopers on segways for The Saga Begins.

My favorite concert of all time has to be The Avett Brothers on New Year's Eve in 2014, though. I never thought that I would listen to a country/folk band sing stuff from Les Mis and enjoy it, but here we are. The fact that they recorded it for a live album is gravy on the cake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad