Fire mike johnston now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That would give me comfort but for this organization's approach to neutering impact players through inferior management and coaching.

I'm trying to be optimistic and feel like we'll arrive at the right decisions eventually. It's hard, I know :laugh:.

Rutherford took the first steps in a long time this off season to address the Pens problems. Bringing in Kessel and Perron were huge steps in the right direction even if those moves haven't paid off yet due to our ****** coach.

Hell even giving Sprong a roster spot is a huge divergence over anything the Pens would have done in the past under Shero.

So we're getting there, albeit slowly. The maddening thing about the Pens is we aren't THAT far from being where we need to be. With a new coach and a slightly retooled defense the Pens could be a dominant force again. Yet we could just as easily swing the other way if we stick with Johnston and continue to rely on the Kunitzes of the world.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm trying to be optimistic and feel like we'll arrive at the right decisions eventually. It's hard, I know :laugh:.

Rutherford took the first steps in a long time this off season to address the Pens problems. Bringing in Kessel and Perron were huge steps in the right direction even if those moves haven't paid off yet due to our ****** coach.

Hell even giving Sprong a roster spot is a huge divergence over anything the Pens would have done in the past under Shero.

So we're getting there, albeit slowly. The maddening thing about the Pens is we aren't THAT far from being where we need to be. With a new coach and a slightly retooled defense the Pens could be a dominant force again. Yet we could just as easily swing the other way if we stick with Johnston and continue to rely on the Kunitzes of the world.

They're not THAT far, but they're further than they should be, and JR bears some (not the majority, mind you, but some) of the responsibility for a trade he made, two deals he didn't (Scuderi 14 months ago, Kunitz last season), and the buffoon he put behind the bench.

Last edited:

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

The maddening thing is that there's a huge disconnect between coaching and management.

I guarantee you Johnston had chest pains when he found out about that bit of news.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The maddening thing is that there's a huge disconnect between coaching and management.

I guarantee you Johnston had chest pains when he found out about that bit of news.

Well, technically they aren't THAT far. But, they won't do what they need to do to get there, because that involves replacing the entire coaching staff with competent and unbound people, shedding some dead weight, and being willing to make some bold moves otherwise.

But, think back on it . . . if JR had dealt Scuds for a pick14 months ago, Kunitz to STL last season (be it for something around Oshie or Berglund), not made the Despres trade, then you're a coaching change and a deal of Perron and Pouliot for an Edler type (sub 30 guy who's impact top four on the right contract) from being as much a contender as anyone.

The irony, in hindsight, is that JR actually could've done it all within 12 months.

Oh well . . . at least we'll always have Tocchet.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think Johnston was probably their eight or ninth most preferable option for new coach. Hell, I think Rutherford might have been the same for new GM.

Mario & Burkle basically pulled a George W. Bush. They invaded Iraq and took out some terrible people but they had no idea who to replace them with and now we have Mike "ISIS" Johnston.

.....Alright that's probably taking the metaphor too far, but you get my point.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think Johnston was probably their eight or ninth most preferable option for new coach. Hell, I think Rutherford might have been the same for new GM.

Mario & Burkle basically pulled a George W. Bush. They invaded Iraq and took out some terrible people but they had no idea who to replace them with and now we have Mike "ISIS" Johnston.

.....Alright that's probably taking the metaphor too far, but you get my point.

Difference is, even ISIS would scratch Scuderi.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Pens are not that far from where they need to be in terms of number of actions taken, but the amount of change that is gonna have to occur both in terms of personnel on the ice, behind the bench, and in the front office as well as in the mindset of the organization is colossal.

The fact that this team not only refuses to part ways with deadweight, but continues to play those players in key roles, is mind-boggling.

There is no excuse for Kunitz, Scuderi, or Lovejoy to be on this roster. None. You find ways to remove ****** players, whether by trade, demoting them, scratching them, or buying them out. This team flat out refuses to do that kind of thing.

Last edited:

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Oh god, 42 pages, where are the mods, WHERE ARE THE MODSS???!!!?!?2ygt4r

Am I doing this right?

hqdefault.jpg

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
Fire him, my Swedish team is currently somehow playing worse then pens, which is very bad considering we had the best team on paper in the league.
So pens and Björklöven start firing Johnston and Jonsson. Clearly coaches who's name starts with Jo is horrible and should never be hired by teams I support.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
This is the original Fire MJ thread of the 2015-2016 season. Accept no substitutes.

A page for every minute he spends working on his hair before games. Like it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad