Fire mike johnston now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
I feel like one of the people involved in the dispute was trying to get some info to out IC's source (IC mentioned he knows/talks to JP Barry, in his last post, as a response to the instigation), to put a stop to the leaks. I'd bet IC left, in part because he didn't want said source being outed to cause trouble for him, irl.

We all know Pens PR read these forums.
Lol pens pr reads these forums? Then what's Johnston still doing with a job, Scuderi playing ,etc

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Jacques Martin? Really?

He plays Therrien hockey. I guess he'd be an improvement over Johnston because who wouldn't but we need a more offensive based coach imo. We don't need another coach that preaches defense and hates youngsters.

In all fairness to Therrien, the Canadiens lead the league in goals thus far. He's changed his approach a bit over the past couple years. Preaches a much more puck-possession oriented offense.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Jacques Martin? Really?

He plays Therrien hockey. I guess he'd be an improvement over Johnston because who wouldn't but we need a more offensive based coach imo. We don't need another coach that preaches defense and hates youngsters.

Therrien hockey. Yeah, that really isn't working for the Habs right now.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Therrien hockey. Yeah, that really isn't working for the Habs right now.

We're not the Habs.

The Bruins have had plenty of success dump and chasing teams to death for years but I don't think any Pens fan would advocate for us to play that way, would they? What works for one team might not work for another. We need a coach who emphasizes our strengths.

In all fairness to Therrien, the Canadiens lead the league in goals thus far. He's changed his approach a bit over the past couple years. Preaches a much more puck-possession oriented offense.

Maybe he has, I don't closely follow the Habs so I couldn't tell you. I know what kind of hockey we played under him when he was here, and I don't think we'd be too successful playing that way now. The players got so tired of it last time that it got him fired. The same will happen to Johnston.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I don't want this to sound like I'm defending Scuds, but why do you guys think Clendening is good enough to replace him?

Haven't seen much from him, but what we have seen hasn't really been anything impressive. Also he's been bounced around a couple of times leads me to believe he really isn't any good.

Not every throw in player we pickup (Niskanen, Dupuis) is going to turn into something useful.

My bigger question...
What happened to Pouliot and why he wasn't able to make it.

Can't get rid of Scuds unless you have a viable replacement.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Good job to whoever caused the only insider around here IcedCapp to leave jesus

He took his ball and went home, last I checked he was a human being, no one forced him to leave/seek attention the way he did. Hell if it was that easy surely Jiggy could get MJ/Scuds/Kunitz to pack their bags.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I don't want this to sound like I'm defending Scuds, but why do you guys think Clendening is good enough to replace him?

Haven't seen much from him, but what we have seen hasn't really been anything impressive. Also he's been bounced around a couple of times leads me to believe he really isn't any good.

Not every throw in player we pickup (Niskanen, Dupuis) is going to turn into something useful.

My bigger question...

Because we had an entire preseason where Clendening outplayed him?

Because a traffic cone could move the puck better than Scuds (less grenades and suicide passes, more deflections)?

Because we know exactly what we've got with Scuderi. We know he's never, ever going to improve. Clendening is a younger player. If he makes a mistake on one shift, there's a possibility he's learned from that mistake on the next shift. Scuderi will make the same damn mistake on every shift he plays because why not? He's not getting benched for it. What's the incentive to learn or grow anymore?

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you

My bigger question...

Evey dman wbs is at-least ten times as good as scuderi in the defensive zone and at-least 100 times as good everywhere else.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
He took his ball and went home, last I checked he was a human being, no one forced him to leave/seek attention the way he did. Hell if it was that easy surely Jiggy could get MJ/Scuds/Kunitz to pack their bags.

Start booing them every game, negative chants about them etc..
They will leave if that is done.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Lol pens pr reads these forums? Then what's Johnston still doing with a job, Scuderi playing ,etc

the PR read it, to know the pulse of the fans, and to know how to correctly spin their PR, to try to appeal/appease the fans. Didn't say the GMs themselves read it. But I can certainly see Pens PR and Morehouse communicating.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

My bigger question...

Yes I think Clendening is able to replace his ES minutes and support the rush MUCH better and help out Maatta by not giving him brutal passes.

Scuds PK minutes can be picked up by Maatta and Dumo.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The PP as a whole an EV shooting percentage are whats killing this offense...

The Pens are 5th in EV scoring chances per 60 minutes
The Pens are 4th in total SC/60
The Pens are 7th in high danger SC/60 at EV
The Pens are 23rd at HDSC/60 on the PP
The Pens shooting percentage is under 5%. League average is just under 9%.

As you can see at even strength the Pens are creating an above average to good amount of scoring chances both regular and high danger. The are being hurt by one of the worst shooting percentage in the league. This, if the process stays the same should improve.

The PP isn't doing a good job creating chances, especially high danger. This almost looks hopeless. The fact that those players cannot create good chances with the man advantage is both mind numbing and a failure at so many levels its appalling.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You'd think the low team shooting percentage is destined to improve but then again we've been averaging under 2 GF for a long period of time now. The Pens struggles this season to score aren't new. They go back to last season.

It's possible we're just getting extremely unlucky but it's also possible and in my opinion likely that the shooting % is a symptom of Mike Johnston's system.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
the PR read it, to know the pulse of the fans, and to know how to correctly spin their PR, to try to appeal/appease the fans. Didn't say the GMs themselves read it. But I can certainly see Pens PR and Morehouse communicating.

They PROBABLY skim through every Penguins-related communities online, yes. I wouldn't say they actively READ this board or any other for that matter. If they are any smart, they keep their finger on the pulse (mainly through their own channels - FB, Twitter, Instagram etc), but I wouldn't think it affects hockey ops one bit.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
You'd think the low team shooting percentage is destined to improve but then again we've been averaging under 2 GF for a long period of time now. The Pens struggles this season to score aren't new. They go back to last season.

It's possible we're just getting extremely unlucky but it's also possible and in my opinion likely that the shooting % is a symptom of Mike Johnston's system.

I thought that as well but I was surprised to find out about the scoring and high danger chances at even strength. It seems that we are getting more than our fair share of opportunities and just aren't finishing them.

The PP is a whole other story.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
The PP as a whole an EV shooting percentage are whats killing this offense...

The Pens are 5th in EV scoring chances per 60 minutes
The Pens are 4th in total SC/60
The Pens are 7th in high danger SC/60 at EV
The Pens are 23rd at HDSC/60 on the PP
The Pens shooting percentage is under 5%. League average is just under 9%.

As you can see at even strength the Pens are creating an above average to good amount of scoring chances both regular and high danger. The are being hurt by one of the worst shooting percentage in the league. This, if the process stays the same should improve.

The PP isn't doing a good job creating chances, especially high danger. This almost looks hopeless. The fact that those players cannot create good chances with the man advantage is both mind numbing and a failure at so many levels its appalling.

Scoring chances is an arbitrary stat. The Pens' shooting % will continue to be low because their offense is predicated on taking a lot of shots, no matter the quality, just to get the teams to defend off the rush/rebound. Problem for MJ, is that NHL goaltenders are 100 times better controlling rebounds than junior goalies are.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014

Well I for one will miss IC's very knowledgable posts, and of course the occasional excellent insider info.

His thin skin, ginormous ego and pathological inability to walk away from a disagreement? Not so much. It's the same thing we deride DK for, ironically most especially re the Despres trade.

That thread was an embarrassing example of the worst of the postings on this site. Glad it was shut down. Hope we hear from both again though, with better behavior.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Well I for one will miss IC's very knowledgable posts, and of course the occasional excellent insider info.

His thin skin, ginormous ego and pathological inability to walk away from a disagreement? Not so much. It's the same thing we deride DK for, ironically most especially re the Despres trade.

That thread was an embarrassing example of the worst of the postings on this site. Glad it was shut down. Hope we hear from both again though, with better behavior.

The things in your second paragraph are incidentals to me. If I can get my hands on some insider info, that instantly makes all the time I spend on these forums actually worth something. Hearing about future moves is actual useful information, as opposed to the pointless back and forth of fan opinions which will never have any bearing on this or any other team.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
The things in your second paragraph are incidentals to me. If I can get my hands on some insider info, that instantly makes all the time I spend on these forums actually worth something. Hearing about future moves is actual useful information, as opposed to the pointless back and forth of fan opinions which will never have any bearing on this or any other team.

Can't deny that, he did occasionally have some good info.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Scoring chances is an arbitrary stat. The Pens' shooting % will continue to be low because their offense is predicated on taking a lot of shots, no matter the quality, just to get the teams to defend off the rush/rebound. Problem for MJ, is that NHL goaltenders are 100 times better controlling rebounds than junior goalies are.

First, the word your looking is subjective (opinion based standard) rather than arbitrary (Randomness).

As long as the standard stays the same when being collected the results should have very reasonable error bars.

My guess is that a lot of this data is based on where shots are coming from on the ice (which have pretty standard shooting percentages tied in). So I think its likely its not all that subjective either.

And yes the amount of shot they are trying for will dilute the overall quality of shot it shouldn't be anywhere near half of the league average. Considering the high danger scoring chances it probably should even out the couple extra low percentage shots.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

I've never thought Capp to be thin skinned. Certain topics were sure to set him off, but that's true for most of us. And he is able to walk away from an argument ... 'Good luck in your future endeavors' was/is his trademark :laugh:

I've seen some other folks comment about him lording over his sources, or that having inside information swelled his ego, or something to that effect. I wonder if it ever occurred to anyone that there was information he couldn't divulge because it might tip off who he is IRL, and maybe cost him his job? That he wasn't holding back stuff because he was on an ego trip, but that it was too specific?

As for who is going to know ... people in the industry do read these boards. Players, agents, FO and PR people from all the teams. And they do have accounts for flagging posts ... we saw that the summer that Shero and DB were fired.

I'm with you on hoping they're both back to posting again, though.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I've never thought Capp to be thin skinned. Certain topics were sure to set him off, but that's true for most of us. And he is able to walk away from an argument ... 'Good luck in your future endeavors' was/is his trademark :laugh:

I've seen some other folks comment about him lording over his sources, or that having inside information swelled his ego, or something to that effect. I wonder if it ever occurred to anyone that there was information he couldn't divulge because it might tip off who he is IRL, and maybe cost him his job? That he wasn't holding back stuff because he was on an ego trip, but that it was too specific?

As for who is going to know ... people in the industry do read these boards. Players, agents, FO and PR people from all the teams. And they do have accounts for flagging posts ... we saw that the summer that Shero and DB were fired.

I'm with you on hoping they're both back to posting again, though.

How so?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

Twitter's probably a better medium to express fan displeasure.

Also, HF is such an incredibly small percentage of the fanbase that nobody's looking here to figure out what the fan on the street thinks. We're statistically insignificant.

Now, when the fans at the game, postgame callers, the newspapers, and twitter are blowing up against players or coaches, then the front office might notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad